International Women's Day

92 posts in this topic

Posted

So it is International Women's Day. Can anybody say exactly why and how did that come about? Are we supposed to celebrate and expect guys to be nice to us today?

Posted

this is a fairly concise summary of the history

International Women's Day is the story of ordinary women as makers of history; it is rooted in the centuries-old struggle of women to participate in society on an equal footing with men.

I was thinking of starting a thread on this, but was worried that it would degenerate into a fest of totty pics.

Here's a piccie of one of my favourite women:

Angelou_A.jpg

Posted

I forgot that google is my friend (just thought i would rob someone of the pleasure of saying that).

Posted

well, I think it's cool to have a thread on it, so I'm glad you asked the question :)

here's another great woman:

100966.jpg

Posted

degenerate into a fest of totty pics.

Sorry, can't help myself

post-2021-1141809847_thumb.jpg

But here is a quality lady, championed womyn's suffrage in NZ:

Kate Wilson Sheppard

post-2021-1141810003.jpg

Posted

So it is International Women's Day. Can anybody say exactly why and how did that come about? Are we supposed to celebrate and expect guys to be nice to us today?

In Russia it's a public holiday and any woman can expect getting at least flowers from male family members, coworkers, costudents etc. etc. In schools girls get selfmade little presents from boys.

Few years ago a friend of mine was stopped on this day by Russian road police in the middle of Moscow for overspeeding (she had to catch the plane in the airport). After explanations instead of penalty she got a rose and a blessing to do whatever she wants as long as does not kill other people. As unbelievable as it sounds, it's true. Holland flower producers make quite a piece of money on delivering tons and tons of roses to Russia for this day.

On the other hand Russians do not have Mother's Day so this day is sort of substituting it.

For me personally it doesn't mean much if anything. Obviously I've been living abroad too long.

Posted

Remind me to keep an eye out for Russian men today. The day started out pretty crappy, I could use some niceness !

Posted

In Russia it's a public holiday and any woman can expect getting at least flowers from male family members, coworkers, costudents etc. etc.

For me personally it doesn't mean much if anything. Obviously I've been living abroad too long.

i know, i have completely forgotten it too, and then my mama was on the phone and friends sending postcards...kind of nice, although i should probably reciprocate... :huh:

Posted

Well when I worked at a certain sports company, we would receive roses on this day from the trade union (even though I wasn't a member I got a rose anyway).

There was a funny segment on this morning's ARD Morgenmagazine about why there isn't a men's day and do women now define the role of men.

As a site note, Timmeh, the lady on the right of that pic is wearing a Simone Pérèle set. I can spot the cut a mile off.

Posted

As a site note, Timmeh, the lady on the right of that pic is wearing a Simone Pérèle set. I can spot the cut a mile off.

Well spotted, you're dead right. Ten bonus points if you get what the bloke (Hermann Maier) is wearing

Posted

Genius.

What does he win?

Posted

I knew that'd be too easy. He wins hair curlers and a pat on the bum (since it is womans day 'n all)

Posted

Any girlies out there needing a celebratory seeing to today, pm me am free tonight. :)

Posted

Yoo Hoo!! My hair was feeling as flat as my arse lately! So both of those will come in handy!

Posted

Well spotted, you're dead right.

Woo hoo!

I know knickers.

Yet more proof that I'm in the wrong job. *sigh*

Posted

Happy Woman's Day!!!

To all the lovely ladies out there in TT.

Roll on March 20th

Posted

@Dangeross

That's better. Learning fast. Some virtual flowers could be nice. ;)

Posted

Thought every day is Women's Day ? Sounds like another Hallmark Holiday to me.

Posted

Sounds like another Hallmark Holiday to me.

It's anything but (and there are no Hallmark cards for the occasion, if I'm not mistaken).

Posted

Sorry for the sceptism but Women's Day, Mother's Day, Daughter's Day, Grandmother's Day etc etc Where does it end ?

Oh yeah and there are Women's Day Cards

Posted

mmmmm - very nice INDEED

now where can I get one of those machines? :D

Posted

It's anything but (and there are no Hallmark cards for the occasion, if I'm not mistaken).

marketing opportunity?? oops, sorry - got work head on <_<