Merkel phone tapped by NSA

79 posts in this topic

Posted

Well of course they tapped her phone.

I've had mine tapped on numerous occasions.

Posted

I believe this is delegated to the Minister of Foreign Affairs..Herr Westerwelle's office.

I doubt it was anything significantly different than a formal recitation of the complaints already circulated in the media.

The issue has been known for some time within the government and security services of both countries.

The reaction will be muted and mild expressions of indignation.

Posted

I guess this raises more questions about the level of security on Angie's phone than on the wiretapping itself. I mean, why not tap the phone of a powerful head of state government?

Edited for the pedants that are sure to come to my rescue.

Posted

Why would he want to bang Angie? His wife is a lot more attractive than her.

Seriously, these sorts of incidents make me wonder if the executive branch actually has oversight of the NSA. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it.

It's well known that allies spy on each other, but I can understand the anger on the German side, even if some of it is contrived. There are plenty of better targets for spying than the leaders of friendly countries.

Posted

Exacty, rhody. Do any of these politicians actually care about the little people?

Posted

The statement from the US as reported by the Chancellor's press officer was that they "don't tap her phone and will not tap her phone", leaving off -- very clearly -- that they have in the past. The reason they may have stopped is that since about 6 months, Mrs Merkel has a new phone, a Blackberry/RIM device with a custom security chip by a German company. A second German company has verified source code and hardware and approved the device for use and this model has been ordered about 1100 times since the Chancellor got hers. Notwithstanding this added security feature, there is a limit to secrecy of the information that should be propagate using this cell phone: Maximum security level is "Nur für den Dienstgebrauch". Anything with a higher security clearance, should not under any circumstances be communicated using this phone. (source: DLF article this pm).

Of course, they may not have stopped, they may be lying.

Whatever it is, I think the EU should finally stop dallying, stop negotations on the Free Trade agreement, and, just because nobody has as yet: Kick David Cameron's arse with a spiked boot for doing exactly the same thing.

Posted

Thi is not about Merkel alone. And it's not about privacy. Don't forget.

As the Guardian reports today there are 35 leaders around the world involved. And it's not about spying out privacy when it comes to high rank politicians. It's about taking advantage of confidental information concerning the interest of all people of a country which isn't yours.

Why would one need enemies if one has friends like this.

Posted

A transatlantic free trade agreement would have very significant potential economic benefits- I wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face by breaking off negotiations.

The NSA spying is at any rate primarily a national security matter.

Posted

The USA are showing that they are unreliable, so why should we trust them with free trade?

Additionally, Mrs Merkel does not communicate with terrorists via her cell phone, and on top of that, pissing off your allies is not in the best interest of your national security; even an American politician should understand that.

Posted

The NSA falls under the US executive branch, which means that the Obama Administration is unreliable, but, hey, why stop there, Gwap- why not dissolve NATO and break of all diplomatic, political, intelligence and economic relationships with the US? :rolleyes:

I don't see why private businesses should pay the price for the NSA scandal unless they enabled violations of data privacy within the EU.

Posted

Thing is, the US think they are the FSM in this world, and that they will always have their way because of it. I have enough experience with bullies to know that "ignore it, it'll go away" does not work. You have to stand up to the bully and give him the occasional bloody nose; you don't have to go around killing them.

Oh, and I don't believe for a moment this NSA thing is an invention of the Obama Administration

Posted

It didn't start with the Obama Administration by a long shot (it dates from the late 1950s), but, again, since the NSA falls under the executive branch, the buck stops with the people that have been in power and are supposed to have overseen it for almost the past 5 years.

Given that trade benefits are reciprocal, again, I don't see why you want to hurt European businesses and cast doubt on the EU as a reliable trading partner. I'll also have to remind you that the EU is still dependent on the US for military protection, so by all means, please give us a bloody nose by dissolving NATO and finally defending yourselves.

Posted

No, apparently they don't or they give a shit.

The phone numbers the NSA needed to start their spying where supplied by the US government, the White House if you want

The White House gets phone numbers which serve as an important mean of communication at any time and place between head of states (think of an acute crisis somewhere). Then the White House passes them on to the NSA. "Here boys, do your job". No Mr. President, you can't hide yourself . You and your administration are involved .

Posted

I guess the NSA misunderstood when Obama said "man, I would love to tap that."

This is in poor taste and also pretty damn funny.

Posted

I suppose it's only a matter of days until the next "Der Untergang" bunker scene spin-off.

Posted

Senator Obama was a NSA target himself back in 2004! HaHa!

http://beforeitsnews.com/spies-and-intelligence/2013/06/whistleblower-says-spy-agency-targeting-top-american-leaders-2444878.html

Posted

The NSA spying is at any rate primarily a national security matter.

No it's not. The US Government is now a huge lobby for American private interests who are doubtless buying the data from the government for their own illegal purposes.

I'll also have to remind you that the EU is still dependent on the US for military protection, so by all means, please give us a bloody nose by dissolving NATO and finally defending yourselves.

He is right. The Germans do not carry full weight in international military actions - Britain steps up to the plate in far greater weight then DE and the French (lily eating surrender monkeys) so this is all tish and pish. Won't mean anything in the long run. Won't change anything.

Posted

Yeah, please protect us from those nasty Swiss!

Posted

I'd imagine it's Iranian nukes that European leaders are most worried about, or Russia, perhaps. At any rate, it's telling that any US troops are still stationed in Europe. Perhaps you should let your leaders know that you don't want them here anymore. ;) The EU's inability to fully defend itself is a major reason that the complaints about NSA spying have been relatively muted.

Then again, if you'd rather hurt European businesses, Gwap, go right head.

Posted

I enjoyed reading Mark Steel's column in Britain's The Independent yesterday. :)

No Wonder the US is Spying on Merkel. I Mean, You Never Know

They've probably already decoded her sinister messages, declaring, "This call here, where she says 'We must maintain the strength of the euro for the fiscal year 2013/14', it means 'Kill the bastards. Kill them all without mercy. And don't forget to strap the explosive to your chest extra tight as that Velcro tends to come undone, and if those explosives spill all over the bus you'll feel a right fool'."

Posted

US troops are still stationed in Europe. Perhaps you should let your leaders know that you don't want them here anymore.

Happy to do that any day of the week. It's frankly nonsensical to believe that these troops do provide any added security for Europe. They are convenient for the US to enhance their ability to project power but for nothing else. Hasn't the US found any reputable African nation that wants to have its "Africa Command" yet?

I wonder why Merkel is so upset. If she's got nothing to hide, then she's got nothing to fear...