My first day back in Berlin

40 posts in this topic

Posted

I really don't believe how strict those ticket inspectors are... I had a valid AB ticket... and I was coming from Schonefeld airport into the city. It's literally ONE stop into zone C... on the map, the difference is about a millimeter. I was so tired from my flight, I didn't have the strength to argue with him, I was just astonished that they enforce it so... strictly. Part of me wonders what would have happened if I refused to give him my ID (which was my American Drivers License.) I would imagine any human being would leave someone off with a warning in that case. By the time he finished writing the ticket, I was in Zone B already. I was only in the country for 20 mins so far, and I'm out 42.60 Eur.

How would you guys have reacted?

Sure I was in the wrong... but I'd still like to not pay for that kind of mistake...I had a valid AB ticket, It was only ONE STOP. Dude told me I was committing a crime, and its my responsibility to know the laws in the country I visit. And then after getting my drivers license, stopped talking, and stopped answering my questions until the ticket was complete, and then he left the train. By the time that happened, we were well into Zone B already... What happened to having a little bit of human decency?

Posted

To get the extra 60 cents from everyone going to/from the airport?

But to hit someone with a 40 eur fine for a 60 cent mistake is, in my mind, harsh. I know it's their job, but man, have some humanity. Lol i know this is germany, and the law is the law, but man, if it was a blatant fare dodge, like no ticket, I can see why they are hard on ppl. Zone c goes out real far, and schonefeld is so close to the border, it's easy enough to miss.

I thought it was intent that mattered, honest mistakes were met with "you're a criminal in Germany right now"

I was just curious, I gave him my American Drivers License, not my passport. I don't live at the address on my license... What is the penalty if I don't pay this ticket?

And if there are any experienced schwarzfaherers on this forum, what would have happened if I just pretended not to be able to find my ticket, and just waited until I was in Zone B to show it to him? LOL could he still have legally fined me, being as I would have technically been in Zone B at the time of checking? ;)

Posted

Those last times were for not having a ticket. I got caught blatantly not having a ticket before. And I paid the fines.

LOL this time, I try to do the right thing, and buy one, and still get a ticket. LOL and that's the frustrating part

Posted

You're the one who tried to save the 60 cents that an ABC ticket would cost. You got caught. Sorry. Them's the breaks sometimes.

you said it, bro. But the thing is, this was my 3rd time getting caught. but this time I actually had a ticket. that last thread, was kind of inconclusive on the penalties of 3+ times being caught, criminial or otherwise.

Pretty much just venting my frustration at being ticketed... again. Thanks for listening, I am going to pay this now, and try to forget it ever happened... may be nothing to you guy, but 40 euros HURTS. I can eat for a week on that...

Posted

Krieg, what happened to paying the penalty, and then being forgiven for your sins? ;)

Those first 2 times, I didn't have a ticket. And I paid.

This time I had the WRONG ticket, but a ticket nonetheless. Just one that was 60 cents cheaper, and only "schwarz" for one stop!

Posted

One more time: not having a ticket and having the wrong ticket are the same thing in the eyes of the law.

Posted

You do not have to explain anything to me, I don't really care. But maybe you will have to explain it to the judge.

Posted

lol, again I'm gonna ask this question, and I know I will never get a straight answer from anyone on this website;

Anyone with firsthand experience get caught 3+ times, and had an extra penalty, on top of the standard 40 euro fine?

I'm gonna stick to the "hard to find" thread, and stop looking for sound advice, or sympathy for any other matters...

Posted

Anyone with firsthand experience get caught 3+ times, and had an extra penalty, on top of the standard 40 euro fine?

Posted

Last month, got on Bus 171 at Schonefeld and asked for Tageskarte ABC, driver gave me a Tageskarte AB, just aswell no ticket inspectors were on board, don't even BVG staff know which zone Schonefeld is in?

Posted

And if there are any experienced schwarzfaherers on this forum, what would have happened if I just pretended not to be able to find my ticket, and just waited until I was in Zone B to show it to him? LOL could he still have legally fined me, being as I would have technically been in Zone B at the time of checking?

For you to be a serial cheat you sure have a lot of anxiety now about what's going to happen to you since you've been bussted 3 times . Regarding the ticket, you don't even realize there's markings and coding on the tickets so they know where the ticket was purchased some kind of cheat are you.

If you can't find any other cheaters on TT with first hand cheating on the train info try giving the police a call and asking them what's going to happen to you. I'm sure they'll provide you with an answer.

And what does it matter if it's your first day or your hundredth day in Berlin? You broke the law.

Posted

Actually I once got on a bus at Schönefeld and asked for an Anschlussfahrschein for my AB Monatskarte and the driver told me not to bother... Surprised me.

Posted

Why do you think that the airport is in zone C and not B?

Because it's just over the border in Brandenburg. It is a pain but it's a consistent rule: Berlin = Zone A&B, Brandenburg = Zone C. I'll be honest, I sometimes chance the few hundred yards on the bus (but not on the train) when going to the airport BUT if I were to be caught I would say "fair cop guv'nor and pay up".

Posted

Well Schonefeld did use to be in Bereich B but it (got) moved to C sometime around when they decided to build the white elephant on the other side of the runway

Posted

Sure I was in the wrong... but I'd still like to not pay for that kind of mistake...What happened to having a little bit of human decency?

Thanks, busst(ed), I was ranting at Word and the difficulties I have been having attaching a file to a mass mailing project. Your attitude shows me just how absurd life is and that I really should not look for simple solutions.

Like making sure that I have the right ticket before getting on public transport.