Rather aggressive cold calling by phone company

36 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been getting calls from a phone company called Yourphone.

I have asked them where they have gotten my mobile number and they keep telling I have given it to some social network and that's where they got my number.

When I keep telling them I am not interested in their offer, they keep asking me stupid questions and I keep hanging up on them.

Is there a way to complain about these people to the authorities?

Anyone else in the same boat?

Posted

me too. when they rabbit on I immediately ask "Ist es eine Werbung?" and eventually hang up. Sorted.

Posted

ask their name and phone number first then tell them it is illegal.

Posted

Is there a way to complain about these people to the authorities?

http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cln_1912/DE/Sachgebiete/Telekommunikation/Verbraucher/UnerlaubteTelefonwerbung/Beschwerdeeinreichen/beschwerdeeinreichen-node.html

Posted

I kept getting calls from my mobile company. I went into the shop I deal with and aske about it. They put me on a block list. Did it help? No. I am quite satisfied with my company and there is nothing they can offer me, my plan is great had it 6 months (so no upgrade yet possible) and I have insurance. What more could they want. So, directly speaking with them didn't stop the calls. I blocked them from my handy and problem solved. No more calls! :)

As for a land line no idea.

Next time they call click block. I always had the same number, if the number changes then you have a lot to block.

Posted

As a lefthander ,I just move my left thumb a few millimeters to the right and press that little red button. Like chasing away a fly in my face. Done.

Sometimes, afterwards, I feel a little bit sorry for the people who have to earn their living by bugging others.

Posted

Whenever i get them i just politely ask them to strike my number off their database because i am not interested and if you call again i will be informing my lawyer.Then i shout down the phone FUCK OFF.Simples

Posted

Here's another Tom Mabe prank response to an annoying telemarketer. :D

Posted

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread way too much ... but since the last few weeks, we have suddenly started getting telemarketing calls on our landline. Nothing too strange there. But whats truly puzzling is that the telemarketer speaks to me directly in Hindi, and asks me if I would like to speak in any other Indian language. I have usually told him that I only speak German and banged the phone down. The head-scratcher here is that we have not given the landline number to ANYONE, neither of us even know it since we barely use it. There is no possible way that our number could have been entered on one of these internet registries - unless as I suspect, Vodafone has sold our information and telemarketers simply need to scan for Indian names on the list.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Posted

the telemarketer speaks to me directly in Hindi, and asks me if I would like to speak in any other Indian language... we have not given the landline number to ANYONE. There is no possible way that our number could have been entered on one of these internet registries - unless as I suspect, Vodafone has sold our information and telemarketers simply need to scan for Indian names on the list.

You suspect rightly but, before condemning Vodafon's moral or ethical position, or the invasion of privacy you may feel they've exposed you to, please check the details of the original contract you signed.

Vodafone, in common with ALL German telephone service providers, do in fact issue annually revised local and national Telephone book listings of ALL their current numbers including names, and for landlines, addresses. Where relevant, (business operators, freelancers, etc.), this information is also sent to the regional Yellow Pages publishers. As a B2B profit centre these listings are clearly further distributed through a variety of internet directory publishers. These 2nd and 3rd line publishers presumably pay substantial licence fees to Vodafone/T-Komm/ o2/ E+ et al, for the rights to further sell selections to their own B2B and B2C clients.

The telephone companies intent to publish subscriber information in such telephone book listings is included on (or at least in the small print clauses on the back of) all subscriber contracts. There is also a standard, legally mandated, option offered to block such entries. However very few customers notice this option at the time of signing which means that, UNLESS the subscriber checked the relevant box, they (and presumably you) have given their tacit approval to such information becoming publicly available (meaning you may have, by default, given your landline number to EVERYONE).

It is too late to remove your info from the current listings but, depending on their publishing deadline, you should be able to have it removed from the 2014 or 2015 issues. AFAIK they must do this on request without charge, but may make a small admin charge for any reversal of the block.

You'd need to call, E-mail (AND write to!!!) Vodafon's Kundendienstabteilung mentioning your Kundennummer/Tel Nr and stating;

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren

Ich moechte fuer die obergenannt Telefon Nummer eine Telefonbucheintrag Sperrung beintragen zum erste moegliche Termin. Bitte bestaetigen Sie Ihre Verstandigung diese Antrag.

Ich bedanke mich im Voraus

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

sushbee

HTH

2B

ETA: Please see sarabyrd's post below for the improved (non-autodidactic) German version! :D

Posted

Or, so that they get it right and remove you from all sources, printed and electronic:

ich beantrage für die vorgenannte Telefonnummer die Entfernung aus sämtlichen gedruckten und elektronischen Verzeichnissen zum nächstmöglichen Zeitpunkt. Bitte bestätigen Sie diese Streichung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Posted

Thanks for all the replies! I do think you're correct 2B_orNot2B. I don't think at the time it would have even struck us. Plan to get on all your suggestions right away.

Posted

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren

Ich moechte fuer die obergenannt Telefon Nummer eine Telefonbucheintrag Sperrung beintragen zum erste moegliche Termin. Bitte bestaetigen Sie Ihre Verstandigung diese Antrag.

Ich bedanke mich im Voraus

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Ich moechte fuer die obengenannte Telefonummer eine Telefonbucheintragsperrung beantragen zum erstmoeglichen Termin. Bitte bestaetigen Sie mir Ihre Bearbeitung dieses Antrags.

Yeah, the other formulation is better, just fixed some obvious errors for you here. Hope it helps!

Posted

While a refutal like this may help in the long term, in the short term it's no use at all. It can take 12-18 months for the published listings to lose your details.

Posted

Ich moechte fuer die obengenannte Telefonummer eine Telefonbucheintragsperrung beantragen zum erstmoeglichen Termin. Bitte bestaetigen Sie mir Ihre Bearbeitung dieses Antrags.

Yeah, the other formulation is better, just fixed some obvious errors for you here. Hope it helps!

Thanks, your effort is appreciated. :)

After almost 30 years here I shouldn't still be making such basic errors, but I'm really not that bothered tbh. Apart from being a clumsy typist, I don't write many serious letters, (and have yet to attend any German lessons).

Telefonummer

- umm er - now wondering if there's really only one 'n' in that word. ;)

2B

Posted

@ 2B: No, there are two "n"s - Telefonnummer.