Making pair of glasses

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys,

I am new to Berlin (although been in berlin for 3 months now) and would like to know where can i make a pair of glasses. My eyesight has increased and i am looking for a cheap optician who can make me glasses. And do i need to visit a doctor before visiting a optician or he can check my eyes and make glasses for me?

Looking forward to hear from you,

Cheers,

CS

Posted

If you have health insurance, you can go to a place like Fielmann or Robin Look and get glasses that don't have a co-pay (that is, they'll be effectively free for you). You're entitled to one pair every two years.

If you don't have health insurance, your problems are far greater than poor eyesight.

Posted

Fielmann and Apollo are two chain stores where you can get reasonably priced glasses. They will do a vision test for free if you buy your glasses there.

Our public health insurance doesn't pay anything towards glasses or contact lenses at all except for children under 18.

Posted

Hi,

Thank you for the quick responses.

I have a health insurance from Mawista. I hope it will help me get a pair of glasses :D

Posted

I don't think so, but check your policy to make sure.

Posted

If you have health insurance, you can go to a place like Fielmann or Robin Look and get glasses that don't have a co-pay (that is, they'll be effectively free for you). You're entitled to one pair every two years.

Not any more, at least not with public (gestzlichen) insurance, unless you are under 18 years old, have serious eyesight problems or medical issues with your eyes, and then only for the lenses, not the frames.

Posted

Let me go and ask them.

I just need to change the lenses on my glasses and i have a new prescription from some other optician so all they have to do is to change the lens on my old frame.

Posted

Shouldn't be a problem at all, it just won't be covered by your insurance.

Posted

Let me go and ask them.

I just need to change the lenses on my glasses and i have a new prescription from some other optician so all they have to do is to change the lens on my old frame.

If only it was that easy...

They will still need to measure your facial features... cut and grind the new lens to fit your specs and if they dont have your particular Frame Profile on record, then you could be in for a long wait...

Posted

Yep, I've done it before, but it took just as long as getting a whole new pair (10 - 14 days) and of course the lenses are the most expensive part.

Posted

I feel like going back to Sweden and making it there or even the US. They just took an eye examination and had my glasses in a week

Posted

Maybe they can do a rush job. Go in and ask.

Posted

Why not pop back to India?

Posted

Yes India is an option too.

Posted

or canada?

Posted

Got 2 pair of glasses for 65 euros from Fielmann. The frames i got for free they just charged for the lens. The cost rose because i made an anti-reflective lens on one of them. They didn't ask for any insurance or anything. Just made another eye test (i insisted) and hola i will get my glasses by thursday or friday :D

Posted

Not quite on topic, as the OP already has frames, but I noticed that the Mauerpark Flohmarkt sells some amazing vintage frames from the 60s and 70s - getting a pair from there and getting lenses fitted might even work out cheaper than buying new frames from an opticians (my last pair of frames were over 250 quid in London).

Posted

csadangi - woah! Two pairs for €65! That is super bargainous!

Posted

Thanks for letting me that know. 65 euros is damn cheap :D