Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Vodafone Deutschland hacked

10 posts in this topic

Posted

According to Spiegel Online, hackers have stolen the records of around 2 million German Vodafone customers - including name, address, date of birth, gender, and bank details (bank code and account number) - in what was apparently at least partially an inside job.

The company claims that the perpetrators had no access to credit card data, passwords, PIN codes, mobile phone numbers, or connection information. If you are affected, you should receive a letter within a couple of days.

In any case, you should be increasingly vigilant of phishing mail: mail that claims to be from a company that you do business with, addressing you by name and providing other personal details that only they should know. To be safe, never click on any links or link buttons in e-mails, but instead log on to the organization's website directly. It's less convenient, but it will help prevent you from inadvertently downloading any malicious coding.

And it goes without saying that you should watch your bank account for any dodgy direct debits (which you can retrieve).

Posted

Yep, I have received that letter :(

Vodafone were nothing but trouble when I used them and even now I'm not using them they're a pain in the arse...

Posted

I got a letter too!!! How concerned do I need to be? We had so many problems with them and finally got away from them in April and now I get this letter today.

Posted

Dreadful company. I am just escaping them now. They make it pathetically impossible to move your number. Avoid like the plague.

Posted

Oh boy..that brings up bad memories like waiting endless time for a modem...vodafone :huh:

Posted

The perp. has since been caught.

Posted

Does this affect prepay voda customers too? I have a secondary phone number with them, but i havent used it for ages and moved since, but keep it alive by topping up every year or so.

Posted

Yep - got the letter today too! I feel rather chuffed that Vodafone at least informed me! However, was also badly treated when I left their company. I would not be surprised if this happens to other phone companies too but they just don't bother informing us. Anyway - I would be happy if anyone in the industry has any wise advice as to what we should do to protect - apart from the obvious of not clicking on links and checking statements regularly etc. - although that advice from the poster was very wise for all people affected. Thank you.

Posted

I wonder if buried within their T&Cs there's something that would enable us to cancel our contract with them. I'm no legal expert but something along the lines of negligence, gross misconduct, data protection etc. They are so heavy handed with their terms, it would be interesting to see the reverse.

Posted

... like their "Customer Care Service" was not enough.... :(

do not have the latter from them yet, but still would change to other provider as soon as I am out of their contract!!