great campaign.

Posted

Ban cell phones!

Posted

great campaign.

Anything by Werner Herzog is great.

"It was not a significant bullet."

Posted

For work related travel we have an engine on phones off policy. It is strictly for work related purposes, but it gets you into the habit.

Posted

I couldn't agree with you more, Mapleleafdude.

We lost our nephew a few years back near Stockstadt because he was driving to football practice, while it was lightly raining, was on the phone and hit a tree. He was such a beautiful kid and loved by us all.

My husband works around the clock, selling flights on private jets is 24/7. He is on his bluetooth, always. When he drives, I answer his emails and texts. Heck, even our son helps out. If it is important and requires his attention, he pulls over.

Cell phones are the new addiction. It can wait until you arrive at your destination!!

Posted

Sorry to hear that about your nephew:-(

Because we too travel a lot in the company I work for and work on the go our boss has us taking trains and planes. Its WAY safer and even very efficient.

If I do get a call in the car I have NEVER had any lip from someone phoning me after I said I'd call back in 5min so I could pull over into a parking lot gas station etc.

I'm sure that 99.999999% it's just a bunch of usless chatter anyways that does not need immediate attention.

BTW:We all have factory installed hands free phone systems which is the minimum for people who are on the road a lot.

Posted

Just driving around here I estimate between 5 & 10% of the oncomming vehicles have their drivers clutching a Hääändy to their ear. This morning - the driver of a very heavy cement truck was on ze phone; last week in our Tempo 30 area (which few adhere to) when I came to a crossing from the road opposite me a small car appeared with a woman driver - her head was bent 90 degrees squeezing the Hääändy between ear & shoulder whilst trying to execute a left turn, give way & so on.

I guess one has to realise that nowadays priorities have changed & these things are more important than safety :(

My employer insists on a hands-off telephone system in our company cars - the one in my Golf Plus is pretty good.

Posted

When I was travelling around on business in the UK and internationally in the days before mobile telephones had taken over the world, driving along in my car (or, less enjoyably, in a rented car) was a great pleasure knowing that I was out of reach of any Tom, Dick or Harry wanting to grab my attention.

This pleasure is still available to those who think now as I thought then . . . and it's even backed by law in most developed countries: the perfect defence when accused of not being available.

Posted

Over the years I have read many studies that show talking on the phone while driving, be it a cell phone or hands-free is distracting and dangerous.

Here is one small one I just pulled up real quick. There are many more.

Lab studies involving simulated driving help explain why.

Talking on the phone appears to slow reaction time. Watch how this driver engrossed in conversation fails to brake in time to avoid hitting a building.

Subjects using hands-free devices do no better than those holding their phones.

Some research has even found cells phone users to be as impaired as drunk driver--regardless of the type of phone.

The reason is distraction. You may think your mind is fully on the road, but in fact your attention is partly diverted to whatever you're talking about.

And research suggests cell phone conversations are more distracting than talking to other passengers because they can tell when the driver needs to concentrate.

Given our reliance on cell phones these days, it may not be realistic for most of us to avoid using them altogether in the car.

Lucky for me and those around me, I'm too retarded to talk on the phone while driving so I don't.

Texting is insane.

Posted

Yeah fraufruit, I noticed that too. Even driving using hands free is no better. Someone I work with that does talk to me while driving almost always misses her turn or exit. Belongs into that urban myth dictionary with "women can multitask". <_<

Posted

I have seen people reading books whilst driving...

I pull alongside... then Blast my horn... Naughty... but it gets their attention!

Posted

I saw a guy at the traffic lights the other day with his mobile in one hand and a cigarette in the other, it's worrying!

Posted

A few years ago, I became early retired. I no longer am chasing bad people. I am missing being an investigator. It was my passion. Now I work for the Bavarian Red Cross. I am a driver for the driving service. I only work three days in the week, such as today. I work from 5.30 until the end of the day, being around 19.30. As I am a driver, I drive alone and my mobile is quite important. Now, going back in time, I purchased a bluetooth ear device, which I am using still now. My mobile is staying in my pants pocket and is connected to my ear device. I can answer all calls pushing only one button at my ear. Why does not everyone use such a thing I do not understand. It is easy and inexpensive. There is only one other driver who uses such a device. Everyone who drives and has a mobile should be owning one. My eyes and attention are to the road. I can answer a few questions from the phone. Too easy.

As former police and a driver I can be fully recommending everyone should have one. It is making life so easy. This should be mandatory.

Could it being that they are looking stupid? I would rather be looking stupid than hurting someone while driving.

post-165153-13766798296824.jpg

Posted

Great campaign, I've already seen some billboards. I HATE people who fuck about with their phones while driving, it's my biggest pet peeve in the whole wide world. If I were a cop, I'd ask to be put on solely the duty of pulling these idiots over, bringing in lots of ticketing revenue for the force. :) And I strongly believe the cost of the ticket should be increased exponentially.

Why can't people just pull over, stop the car for a minute to read their damn text?? It's really not that hard. <_<

Posted

@ BayrischDude, in my opinion one's attention is still diverted from the task of driving when one uses the ear piece.

I guess one has to realise that nowadays priorities have changed & these things are more important than safety

I saw a woman in Hawaii driving through an intersection with BOTH hands on her cell phone. Seriously. I have no idea how she was steering... :angry:

Posted

Maybe I am old-fashioned, and totally not moving with the times, but I use my mobile phone to make phones calls when I need to make them.

When I am driving,I am driving, and I most certainly DO NOT need to make phone calls at all!

For those who really, really feel the need to phone/text/email/surf the internet whilst in their car, they should either pull over to the side of the road to do so, or in the case of IMPORTANT phone calls, they should use an earpiece so that at least their hands are still free for the task of driving.

Whether one can really concentrate fully on the road and on making a phonecall, I am very doubtful...

Posted

@ BayrischDude, in my opinion one's attention is still diverted from the task of driving when one uses the ear piece.

You are correct. Is this being different from speaking with someone who is driving with you in your car? Anything that is distracting you when you are driving, is being distracting. Changing radio channels. Changing the inside temperature. Talking with people in the car. All are distracting.

In my opinion, sending, reading or writing SMS' should be illegal when one is driving. I am not making phone calls or texting when I am driving. I am receiving calls with the ear device. As I am needing information fast and all day, using the ear device is the safeest. However if someone has an offer for an idea being better, I am open to newer ideas. :)

Posted

You are correct. Is this being different from speaking with someone who is driving with you in your car? Anything that is distracting you when you are driving, is being distracting. Changing radio channels. Changing the inside temperature. Talking with people in the car. All are distracting.

Yes...

All of the above are distracting... but at least when you stop talking for 20 seconds to concentrate on bad traffic situation, at least the passenger knows you are there..

When on the phone, they dont know you are there and you get... "hello... hellloo... are you there? Brian? are you still there? fucking vodafone... I hate mobile phone service"...

Its all a distraction..

But if Bus drivers and DHL drivers can do it... B)

Usually the first thing I do when I get in my van is put on my headset!!

Its safer than smoking in the car.. With that you need to concetrate on Lighting the fag, whilst not going cross-eyed... keep looking down to see where the ashtray is... Seat dancing like a knob when you drop the ciggie... then trying to throw the butt out of the window without it flying back in to the car...

Posted

I discussed this with a group of people yesterday, all in their 40s. One woman openly admitted to catching up with family and friends on her journey to and from work. She claimed that otherwise, it's "wasted time". If people really think this way, then it's going to be very difficult to get them to change.