Done the stupid act of shoplifting

72 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I have seen a couple of topics related to this issue. I would not like to beat around the bush and sincerely ask your help. Thanks in advance and appreciate the help.

Two months back I've committed shoplifting of a small plug worth 2 Euros. I was scared and apprehensive when doing it, I was embarrassed when I got caught and sincerely regret the act and curse my stupidity and lack of good judgement. I cannot present any excuses of why I have done that and to be clear I've purchased some articles but pocketed this particular item which was not even worth the trouble. I came out clean without any arguments to the shop manager and the detective and I apologized to them sincerely. This was my first and after every thing I went through (the mental agony) I would never even think of doing such things again.

Now I have received the letter from police to explain myself (please see attachment). Can someone please help me fill it out. I would like to write my apology in both english and german. Also can someone please tell me what the last point in the form means.

Thanks a lot in advance once again.

post-233143-13765679923361_thumb.jpg

post-233143-13765683794576_thumb.jpg

Posted

Did you admit the crime or said it was a mistake?

Posted

Hi Bigfoot,

I admitted to the crime. It was not an oversight or a mistake. I was plain asinine :( when doing it and sincerely apologized to them for the stupidity.

Posted

Morals are one thing and legalities a different one. You should have denied it and said it was a mistake.

Did you sign anything accepting the charges?

Posted

Hi Krieg,

Everything was recorded and as I said I was only doing this half a mind (being stupid) and panicked as soon as I got caught. In the shop they filled a form and asked me to sign it. It did not have much, just the price of the item I shop lifted and my details that they took.

Posted

2 Euros? Will get dropped once the file is with the district attorney.

Posted

Thank you kato.

If its ok, Can you please help me in filling up the form. Especially in properly writing my explanation and apology in German. Also can you please tell me what does the last point in the form state. Should I tick that Yes or No.

Posted

You were very stupid of course but I cannot belive you admitted. In these cases it is always better to deny and say it was a mistake. That's basically true for almost all situations involving the law, never admit before you speak with a lawyer.

Posted

The last point in the form (above the signature line) is whether you agree that any items confiscated by the police are handed back to the rightful owner without compensation for you.

Posted

Thank you kato.

Posted

Anymore suggestion on filling the form please. Shall I write my explanation in English?

Posted

Thank you camlough.

I really do not know how to put my explanation in German. I would like to clearly state that even though I have put items for purchase and paid for them, it was a really stupid to think of pocketing that item. I clear lacked good judgement on my part and I sincerely apologize the shop management for causing them trouble. Also I would like to say that I deeply regret my actions. I have never crossed the law before and after this, I would never do that again for the mental pain it caused.

I do not know if I have to add more explanation because there simple isn't. Camlough, can you kindly please help me to put this in proper words.

Thank you very much in advance

Posted (edited)

In criminal proceedings you have a right for giving explanations in your own language and for translation of most important (but not all) documents.

http://www.justice.be.ch/justice/de/index/strafverfahren/strafverfahren/einfuehrung/fragen_und_antworten.html#F25

Edit: the link is about Swiss law, but German law is similar.

Fill the form in English and that's it. If the police officers don't speak English, they will pay someone who does a translation for them.

Posted

Thank you very much anne k.

I will try to put in as you have said. If there are any more inputs or suggestions, I would gladly and with thanks take them.

In the application form, shall I have to fill my job status and my salary?

Posted

To be honest, I wouldn't make any statement in your case. It's unlikely that apologizing will lower your sentence, but there's a high probability that saying too much will make it worse. That's why there are lawyers - things that might seem trivial to you may have dire consequences in a legal context, or you might be misunderstood. Hence why pretty much every lawyer will tell you to remain silent initially, no matter what the situation at hand is.

Posted

Thanks Illic.

Do you suggest I should approach a lawyer before making any sort of statement?

Posted

I'd agree, dont make a statement, just fill out what is necessary and required. And yes, you do need to fill in your salary as this is important in what fine you may have to pay.

Posted

If you can afford it, contacting a lawyer could be helpful, at least for an initial counseling. However, I don't think it's really necessary yet. Remember that this is not the fine/sentence yet, just a preliminary questioning. You can still fight the fine once it has been issued or a lawsuit has been openend (pay attention to any potential deadlines however).