Breaking Bad (TV series)

100 posts in this topic

Posted

post-9625-13756646992005.jpg

post-9625-13756647319403.jpg

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings. Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" ~ Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)

And so all bad things must come to an end. Here we are, ready to watch the final eight episodes of what has to be one of the greatest shows on TV, if not the greatest. Critics have heaped praise on AMC's Breaking Bad. It boasts fans such as Stephen King, Samuel L. Jackson, Steven Soderbergh and Warren Buffet, and it has a phenomenal worldwide following.

I've loved the series so much ever since I bought the first season on DVD back in 2009 with the second season still in production. Vince Gilligan, the show's creator, has given us a real treasure of a show. He and his writing partner Thomas Schnauz came up with the idea of a main character that would begin as the protagonist and ultimately turn into the antagonist, in a similar vein to Michael Corleone in The Godfather. No show on TV has done it quite as profoundly, if it all. Like a chemical change, we've witnessed Walter Hartwell White (played by Bryan Cranston) transform over the course of five seasons in a Dr. Jekyll and "Mr. Heisenberg" sort of way. The dilemma of Walter's moral decline; the brilliant manipulation of those he confides in and those who stand in his way.

White begins as a humble, mild-mannered high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with lung cancer around the time of his fiftieth birthday, and through the five seasons of acquiring a financial security for his family he comes to believe that he's in the empire business – an ambitious drive to be the methamphetamine king of the southwestern United States and beyond. Walter's ego and lust for power as the great Heisenberg gives him the sense of indestructibility. He said it himself: He is not in danger, he is the danger. Say his name. He is the one who knocks.

So how's it all going to play out? Theories abound in the social networking world that Jesse Pinkman will do this ("Yeah, bitch!"), Hank Schrader will do that ("W.W. … Willy Wonka? Walter White?"), and through it all Skyler White will continue to protect the family from the man who protects the family. We'll just have to wait and see when the final eight episodes begin on August 11th.

Official site.

Twitter: @BreakingBad_AMC

From Mr. Chips to Scarface...

post-9625-13756651624671.jpgpost-9625-13756651720281.jpgpost-9625-13756651827909.jpgpost-9625-13756651935159.jpgpost-9625-13756652044639.jpg

Posted

Unbelievable. These last episodes are really going to blow everyone's hair back. Last night's was utterly tense. Bitch.

The Guardian: Breaking Bad Recap: Season Five, Episode Nine – "Blood Money"

New York Daily News: ‘Breaking Bad’ Season 5, Episode 9 Recap

"Hello, Carol."

post-9625-13763094451515.jpg

The White's house now. And the name 'Heisenberg' spray-painted on the living room wall:

post-9625-13763095491.jpg

Hank: "It was you. All along, it was you!"

post-9625-13763096602996.jpg

"If you don't know who I am, then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly."

Posted

Hank is royally pissing me off.

I really hope that Todd and his uncle's crew takes care of him, and that punkass jessie pinkman. He was the one who got Walter involved in all this crap in the first place.

Hank is just a pathetic dirty cop. And his thieving wife needs to stop acting all holier than thou.

Anyway last night's episode was freaking intense. I hope hank never leaves that desert.

Posted

I think Hank's not too bad. I like the fact that he's doing quite well to outsmart Walter. Hank's photo of the barrel with the money taken in his backyard near the barbecue was clever, but I think most of us saw that coming. What I didn't see coming was the animal brains he dropped on his kitchen floor and then saying to Jesse "You're up." By the time Hank was ready to show Huell a photo, I thought it'll be some setup with those brains and Jesse. Indeed it was. Not entirely original, but still a nice move.

I wonder where Kuby is?

And in this last episode two more main characters get to meet each other for the first time. Walt Jr. and Better-Call-Saul. Last week it was Marie and Jesse, and I would like to see Junior and Jesse meet face-to-face, although there's only three episodes left in the series.

By the way, I don't think Jesse got Walter involved in this mess to begin with. It was Walter's own decision to break bad. He saw the rewards from the meth business and thought of getting involved. Even Jesse queried his involvement when they started their little business...

Jesse: "Some straight like you, giant stick up his ass, age what, 60? He's just gonna break bad?"

Walter: "I'm 50."

Jesse: "It's weird is all, okay? It doesn't compute. Listen, if you've gone crazy or something...I mean, if you've...if you've gone crazy or depressed, I'm just saying...that's something I need to know about. Okay? I mean, that affects me."

Walter: "I am awake."

I agree that the last episode was intense. Uncle Jack and his White Supremacists arriving at To'hajiilee (the first place Walt and Jesse cooked in their RV with the cow house over yonder) was no surprise. Once he had the tracking coordinates we all knew Uncle Jack and his band of Nazis were on their way, considering Walt was going to have to work for them. But who's going to survive? Walt for sure. He's in the flash forwards. I'd say Steven Gomez caps a fatal one. And it'll be sad, too. I like Gomey. As the actor Steven Michael Quezada said in the after-show Talking Bad, Gomey is the only main character on the show who's never broke bad. Pinkman I'm not sure about. He might survive, which'll be good because I think he's an okay kid. Maybe he'll slip away from the firefight. He was slowly opening the door ready to slip out of the car. And Todd Alquist? Probably killed leaving Walt to definitely do the cooking. Or maybe Todd survives and has sex with Lydia. :D

As for Hank, something tells me he'll be cut down, too. There was something about that phone call he made to Marie...

Marie: "Hank, why is there what looks like brains in our garbage can?"

Hank: "Hey, baby. I got him. Dead to rights."

Marie: "You got Walt?"

Hank: "Yeah. I got him in handcuffs as we speak. You want me to wave to him for ya?" [Hank waves to Walt] "Yeah. Well, he's not, ah, he's not feeling too friendly."

Marie: "Oh, my god. You did it. Thank god."

Hank: "Things are gonna be a little rough for the next coupla weeks, but they'll get better. Baby, you okay?"

Marie: "I'm much better now."

Hank: "I gotta go. Maybe awhile before I get home. I love you."

Marie: "I love you, too."

post-9625-13787636583679_thumb.jpg

post-9625-1378764295973_thumb.jpg

Breaking Bad Takes Guinness World Record for Highest Critically-Rated TV Series

Posted

Nice run down, FT.

Though, I kept questioning how Walt is suppose to survive in the backseat of the SUV when those rednecks are shooting it up. (Yes, we know he will... he has to)

Oh, the brain part was disgusting.

Posted

A bunch of militia trained Neo-Nazis shot one million rounds and could not get two guys who were not covered? They even had automatic guns and the targets were at short distance. That did not make sense. But still, awesome show and the tension was incredible.

Posted

Yeah that bothered me too.

Posted

Yeah, I have to agree. Bullets flying everywhere and Hank and Gomey weren't even cut down in the initial volley (or did I see Gomey injured there for a second?). You'd think that Walt would have caught a few slugs, too, considering that the GMC Yukon he was sitting in was turned into Swiss cheese.

Something I'm curious to know. I wonder if the DEA has any jurisdiction on tribal land?

Still, To'hajiilee was a great episode directed by Michelle MacLaren, who's also done some fine work on The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. I saw a few hints of Sergio Leone in the episode (with a nod to Sam Peckinpah and Michael Mann).

I'm so looking forward to the next episode Ozymandias.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3r4MRp26Gw

Posted

I don't want Jesse to go out like this. Watching BB at the moment is so stressful... I think Gomez dies, Hank gets shot and maybe Walt puts him out of his misery after some big speech. I want Jesse to get away, but I also know this to be a childish want.

Posted

Yeah, I have to agree. Bullets flying everywhere and Hank and Gomey weren't even cut down in the initial volley (or did I see Gomey injured there for a second?). You'd think that Walt would have caught a few slugs, too, considering that Hank's SUV he was sitting in was turned into Swiss cheese.

Yeah, and if what they want is to get Walt out of it so that he can cook for them, shooting up the car he's sitting in isn't really the smartest plan.

Something I'm curious to know. I wonder if the DEA has any jurisdiction on tribal land?

They did mention contacting the tribal police at one point, didn't they?

I can't decide whether I think Hank is going to die or not. That scene with Marie (which I thought was really beautifully done) did seem like a farewell scene. But this being Breaking Bad, the fact that it seemed like that makes me think maybe it won't be.

Posted

Yes, Hank did say to Gomez that he was about to contact the tribal police. I was just curious about the DEA acting in tribal sovereignty.

Seems they're entitled to...

Indian Country and the Tribal Law and Order Act of 2010: Section 212 of the Tribal Law and Order Act of 2010 (TLOA) amends Title 25, Section 2809, U.S. Code and states that "any federal department or agency" in cases of nonreferrals or declinations of criminal investigations in Indian country "shall coordinate" with their tribal counterparts. This requirement extends to the FBI; U.S. Attorneys Offices; Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA); Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF); and others conducting investigations in tribal land.

I wouldn't be surprised that the episode's writer George Mastras used his knowledge of law here. The guy has a Juris Doctor degree.

Behind the scenes of the gunfight in To'hajiilee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHMytkcbNf8

Posted

The phone call with Marie did seem like a farewell call.

On second thought, I don't think Walt is going to die from cancer at all. I think he will at some point in the future fake his death, but really be in Europe cooking for Lydia while Todd bangs her on the side.

How the hell Uncle Jack and his Neo Nazi buddies managed to miss Gomez and Hank, I have no freaking clue. They should have been cut down within the first few shots.

Don't really see how Walt could have fallen for the picture trick. Heisenberg would have known that the rental car did not have GPS on it. Heisenberg would have immediately threatened Jessie's little girlfriend and her son the moment Jessie started talking about burning his money. Jessie would have immediately got his ass in check and fessed up to what he was doing.

Obviously Walt is going to keep his money, or at least a decent sum of money. NO way he is going to leave his kids without anything. I see Junior taking over the car wash. All the evidence in Hanks garage that he was collecting against Walt, is going to somehow disappear. If Walt was a wanted man, he would not just return to his old house like that, and even casually say hi to his neighbor in the flash forwards.

And yes Jessie Pinkman MUST be dealt with. It can be quick, but it certainly has to happen.

Posted

And Hank is really pissing me off as "Big Jim" in the other TV series Under the Dome.

Posted

A bunch of militia trained Neo-Nazis shot one million rounds and could not get two guys who were not covered? They even had automatic guns and the targets were at short distance. That did not make sense. But still, awesome show and the tension was incredible.

Obviously the fight director had watched too much A-Team in their youth.

The programme where they stood toe-to-toe, blasting machine guns and no-one even got a nick.

I remember one episode where a helicopter flew into a mountainside and exploded. The pilot emerged from the wreckage and straightened his hair.

Posted

a colleague snapped this around Heidelberg

post-88424-13790722363208_thumb.jpg

Posted

My 2 cents:

-Walt does not want Hank dead (Marie would get to the police, Walt's familiy would freak out). Hank may be injured and captured instead.

-Because of Hank not returning home, Marie goes to the police anyway.

-(description of next episode) "Everyone copes with radically changed circumstances". Flynn learns about it all when aunt Marie freaks out, turns against both his parents.

-Gomez dies or gets captured.

-Jesse manages to get away in the desert. For some reason the criminal gang is forced to leave the site without finishing the job.

-Lydia takes advantage of Todd's crush to clean up her traces. Even if this means that some people get killed in the process.

-Walt's family gets kidnapped by the criminal gang when he refuses to cook.

-Walt buys a new automatic weapon to free them up.

Probably I am wrong about some of these, but the final episodes will be exciting.

Posted

post-9625-13792003461877.jpg
Interesting predictions.

So tomorrow night's episode is supposed to be one of the most outrageous in the entire series. Many fans will be wondering who's going to get it in that shoot out or even in its immediate aftermath. Certainly when there's four on one side - Hank, Steve, Walt and Jesse (and only Hank and Steve armed) - and about six on the White Supremacists side (all armed), then there's bound to be a bloodbath with the odds stacked against Schraderbrau and Gomie.

You'd think that at least Kenny, Uncle Jack's second-in-command, would annihilate everything in the entire reservation with pellets. That Maxwell Atchisson Auto Assault-12 (AA-12) is purportedly the most powerful combat shotgun in the world.

post-9625-13792029603659.jpg

Posted

Actually, with all this firepower you mention against them and while being outnumbered, the only way I see Hank and Jesse getting away is by using Walt as hostage.

Not exactly proper police work but Hank is in a different place now.

Posted

Well that was amazing! Not gonna post any spoilers, but holy Ozymandias!

Posted

I second that, JOB.