Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

U-Bahn tannoy messages & computerised voices

43 posts in this topic

Posted

I have only been to Munich once (last year).

My German is almost non-existant and, using the U-Bahn quite frequently, I was puzzled as to the tannoy message as the doors are about to shut. It wasn't always the same but the most frequent message sounded like "Zuruck zucker plan". Can anybody translate?? What other messages were there (in German and English if possible??)

Many thanks

Posted

"Zurückbleiben bitte!" (stand back, please) is the normal phrase.

Posted

But they tend to say it pretty fast and with a strong Bavarian lilt. I speak half decent german and it took me the whole S Bahn trip from the airport to HBf to work out what they were on about!

The lady on the new blue trains is easy to understand though :)

Posted

Bitte zurück bleiben.

Posted

They will also say "Zusteigen, bitte", meaning get in coz the doors are gonna shut, and generally they also announce the train line and final destination (e.g. U3 Olympiazentrum).

Posted

Granted, Zurückbleiben bitte in the U-Bahn sounds to me more like "zoo byba bee-a"

Posted

I like it when they mumble the name of the next station. I find it barely understandable above the noise of the train, even when I know what the name of the next station is and am waiting to hear it.

Here's the next question: what do they say at Hbf when a train is about to depart? It goes something like this:

"Auf Gleis xx, bitte einsteigen. Die Türe schliessen selbsttättig, bitte vorsicht bei der schliessenden Tur."

Something like that anyway.

Posted

I like it when they say "Nächste Halt..." and then don't say anything else for the next minute or so... I can just imagine the hectic guy sat up front "Bugger, what's next? I can't find us on the map" desperately searching for the next station... :D

Posted

I noticed the "Nächste halt...(pause)..." thing aswell.

Thanks for all the replies - perhaps my ears were playing tricks on me?

Posted

Ah, I haven’t been in Munich for two years now and I can still hear,

Posted

biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee z'rük, blieben. *weep* *weep* *weep*

Posted

"You know that the train has 18 doors and you can use them all."

Posted

What I like best is... "Nächste halt... (pause)... Hohenzollernplatz"... and everybody is looking REALLY SCARRED... because we just left Scheidplatz, and we're on the U3 !!! :D

They just get confused sometimes... hehe.

Cheers,

Radu.

Posted

Ah sorry, I remembered another one...

"U3 richtung Messestadt Ost." :lol:

Radu.

Posted

My favourite is the U-Bahn driver with the speech impediment. A smirk creeps across my face every time he says "Bitte Zuwück Bweiben"

I can't be the only one to have heard him (on several occasions on the U6).

Posted

What I like best is... "Nächste halt... (pause)... Hohenzollernplatz"... and everybody is looking REALLY SCARRED... because we just left Scheidplatz, and we're on the U3 !!!

Not sure if you're referring to this, but...

Actually, after work, I think only on Fridays, there is one U-Bahn that starts from Olympiazentrum (U3) and turns into the U2 after Scheidplatz. After getting stuck on this U-Bahn a couple times I checked the schedule at Olympiazentrum and sure enough there it was.

Posted

Here in Vienna we have “Bitte einsteigen

Posted

What's really getting on my nerves it the computerized voice on the new U-Bahn and the buses mispronouncing names like "Laimer Platz", "Ramerstorf" and "Pfanzelt Platz".

Posted

My favourite is the U-Bahn driver with the speech impediment. A smirk creeps across my face every time he says "Bitte Zuwück Bweiben"

I can't be the only one to have heard him (on several occasions on the U6).

9 times out of 10 the German (not Bavarian) 'r' sounds like a 'w' to me anyway. At Hbf on the S-Bahn platforms it's "Geltendorf, sir wook bleiben bitte".

Edit: the best is the automated voice on the S-Bahn. She reminds me of that Officer Crabtree from Allo Allo: "Attention Pissengers, the train terminates here".

Posted

It's just like the beeping sound in the new trains,just when the doors are about to close.

Makes me think of 'Das Boot'. 'Get ready. We're diving... *weep* *weep* *weep*' ;)