Advice on how to deal with future tenant

41 posts in this topic

Posted

I quit my apartment to 31 July, knowing I would have to pay double rent for some of that time (and prepared to do so, but of course hoping for a better solution). I advertised via TT and made a few suggestions of people to the landlord, all of whom would have taken the place to 1 July, so at least one month I would have been saved the extra rent.

He ignored my suggestions and found someone himself, who he also thought would take the place starting 1 July. Then she started messing about, and finally on Sunday he phoned me and said she would take it to 15 July, and she would take an Untermieter for the time while she waits to get out of her old contract. Not very satisfactory, but not much I can do about it. Landlord did tell me I should keep the keys until mid July.

Now the new tenant writes to me asking if she can get the keys earlier (this week) so that she can have the flooring redone.

Now, I have no intention of using the apartment again and have done the handover with the landlord. But on principle I am a little pissed off and my first thought is to tell her to get lost until mid July, when she starts paying rent.

What do you think? Should I let her in 2 weeks early so she can renovate? (no renovations necessary according to my or her contract, and I had the place professionally painted on my own rental time before the handover. The place doesn't look nice and is in need of a full renovation, but the landlord intends to do that in 3 years' time, and has given her a limited time contract so he can do that - all discussed up-front and taken into account in the rental price; and it was also done without a Makler, so she got a pretty good deal, I'd say). I'm not sure if I'm being a bitch for not letting her in when I don't actually need the place myself?

Posted

Kindness usually tops revenge, in my experience.

Posted

if I was you, I would let the contractors have the keys and let them return them to you.. They possibly need the work desperately...

Make a contract with the flooring folk and believe me.. they will give them back to you and not her!

Posted

Spidey, the contractors are hired by her, because she is the one who wants the work done - so she would need to organise that.

Feierabend - I wasn't thinking of it as revenge - is that how it seems? I was thinking more in terms of a business - you don't get the goods until you pay for them. If you want to have the goods modified, you have to pay for them first... Now I'm not sure.

It would also, by the way, involve an extra trip to Munich by me this weekend, which I hadn't planned on doing, so she could get the keys...but that's by the by really.

Posted

Ok..

She could organise for the contractors to collect the key and return to you ( I had realised that you had left munich, sorry)

as for paying for good before you get them... When was the last time you paid for food and drink in a restaurant before you consumed it?

Posted

hmm, yes, you have a point...does nobody think she should cough up for the rent for that time? She will effectively be paying no double rent (assuming she gets someone in from 15 July) and I am paying 6 weeks double rent...and the initial agreement was that she would pay from 1 July (and at that stage, I was fine with handing over the keys last weekend, 22 June, so she could move in a week early).

Posted

I think you have a couple of options

1) Keep the keys until the end of your rental period and refuse to let anybody in. Tell them that you still have things in the apartment (take a box with a couple of thing in it and leave it there) and don't want others in the apartment until you have moved out on the 31st July. Then on the 31st do the handover and collect your box.

This gets your own back on them.

2) Tell them that you will happily had the apartment back earlier (mid july or sooner), and get the official handover done at that time (important) and not worry that you have paid until the end of the month as you have that in your budget now anyway.

This is being nice to the new renter (not the landlord). But get the official handover done.

I would be worried that if you give them access but don't hand it over and they damage something then you might be liable? As they could claim that the damage was not done by them but already there. Thats why I would not hand over the keys until an official handover is complete, no matter when it is done.

Posted

I quit my apartment to 31 July, knowing I would have to pay double rent for some of that time (and prepared to do so, but of course hoping for a better solution).

I'm not sure if I'm being a bitch for not letting her in when I don't actually need the place myself?

I think you really do know whats best... dontcha?

Posted

Tell them of course they can have the keys in advance and tell them how much it would cost (no rent).

Posted

Hey, Krieg, yeah I thought of telling her to pay for my ICE ticket and the time to come down to Munich this weekend!

Thanks for the advice...a combination of that and my own thoughts, and I have replied to her, copying the landlord on it, and saying that if they both agree that renovations should be carried out, they need to work out the rental implications of that between themselves.

Posted

Having just been through a similar situation, if you are going to allow the Nachmieter access prior to your rental termination on the 1st July then make sure your draw up some kind of letter/agreement to confirm that she is doing so and that she has taken the place as seen and make an official exchange of keys. If you wait until yourt termination date and she has prior access should anything go wrong you will be liable.

If you don't make any earlier exchange then return your keys on or by the 1st July, do not keep them until mid July as that sounds a bit iffy to me.

Posted

IMO, if you are paying, you should keep your keys. I'd tell the girl that I'm sorry but since I am officially still renting the apartment until the handover, I am responsible for it and therefore not willing to part with the keys sooner. If she wants to change the date of the official handover, I'd be fine making an agreement to that effect which also means she takes over paying the rent from that date and I'd be completely out of the deal.

Posted

I'd just ask for two weeks rent from her and let her have the keys. Probably best to ask the landlord if that's OK first. Mine was fine with it a couple of years back.

Posted

LeonG and Boba: unfortunately (for me) she refuse/d to pay from 1 July...so if she refused the landlord to take it on, she of course won't pay me for that time either.

She has indeed now replied implying I'm a bitch (O-Ton: Sich mir wegen der Renovierung jetzt so quer zu stellen, wenn sie sowieso nicht mehr drin sind, ist keine besonders feine Art nach meinem Entgegenkommen, aber mir ehrlich gesagt jetzt auch egal.)...The Entgegenkommen she refers to is that, with no guarantee, she had agreed to put in her ad that the Untermieter could have the place from 1 July. She omits to mention that if I bring her the keys this weekend, the Untermieter would not be in by 1 July, which is Monday, as she still wants to have the floors done first. She has now changed her ad to only let the person in from 15 July.

I'm not replying to her again - I'll drop the keys off with the Hausmeister on 13 July. She can do her flooring on the Sunday if she wants.

Posted

If I understand correctly you are still paying for the apartment so you can tell the pesky Nachmieter to arrange the following words into a well-known phrase: off pi$$

Posted

wait wait wait - so where the hell did she plan to LIVE if she was turning her place over to an untermieter on 01.07?

and YOU are a bitch?

snort.

Though I would be careful about letting her in at all until her lease officially starts, as it could give her an opportunity to cause some mischief? Anyway, even though you've done the handover already, I'd take pictures on the day you handover the keys, just in case.

Posted

The way she wrote to you is actually very bitchy, just because of that I would say f*ck this shit and not even bother to reply anymore. Except if I really need the money.

Posted

She must be the chick that MohawkGuy met on his dating site.

Posted

I was wondering why she couldn't come collect the keys from you if you had worked something out.

You tried. Oh well. You have enough on you getting settled in and don't need to take on her problems.

Posted

I have a lot of of experience on both sides of the rental business.

You were perfectly justifed in what you did.

- You are paying until July 15, right?

- That person wanted to get in *for free* two weeks early.

- You asked for the rent for that time.

- She refused. Too bad for her. No need for her to be nasty about it. Just reflects on her.

It's different when THE OWNER lets a tenant in early to renovate. A new tenant tried

to make YOU pay for her own plans. Refuse, and tell the owner what happened.

- She is immediately doing a sublet (Untermiete)? Is she going to live there at all?

Or is this a share?

(If not a share, it's not permitted - she has to live there, too).

In a nutshell, no need to bend over backwards. The nerve...