Satelite Dish Size for BBC/ITV in Hamburg

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

I recently moved into a new apartment (Harburg), which already had a satelite dish (around 50cm), LNB and receiver (non HD). I bought a HD statelite receiver and connected the LNB with my new receiver and HDTV. I searched for channels in Astra 19.2, 23.5 and 28.2. The english channels i receive are BBC news, Al Jazeera, CNN, CNBC, Bloomsberg, RTL.. But I heard that there are 4 channels of BBC and ITV being Free to Air. Can anyone let me know, if I increase my satelite dish size (recommendations on size) and search for specific satelites (recommendations on satelites), would I be able to get the above mentioned channels along with more english language channels?

Posted

The numbers 19.2, 23.5 and 28.2 define the direction, in degrees east of south, that the dish needs to point towards to receive the signal.

Did you accurately re-align the dish to point at the satellites at those angles or did you just search through the pre-programmed lists in the receiver?

IF you didn't re-align the dish then it is likely that it is set to 19.2 degrees east of south because that is where the majority of German TV broadcasts come from.

If so you should be able to receive these signals.

IF you want to receive more English language channels then you will probably need a much larger dish, properly aligned with the satellites at 28.2 degrees east of south. These channels are available there.

However, the satellite broadcasting most UKTV channels from 28.2 degrees is expected to move to another job at another position. It is expected to be replaced by the new Astra 2E and Astra 2F satellites.

Astra 2F has already launched and appears to have a beam more tightly focused on the UK. That means a dish size that might work now might be too small to receive UKTV in the near future.

If you plan to invest in a new dish you should consider a large dish that will allow you to receive channels from the new satellite(s). In Astra 2F-New satellite arrives Toytown member "Mr Nosey" was looking at a 125cm dish for Hamburg.

Posted

Try Filmon.com , also available as an app for IOS and Android, has a lot of channels from UK

Posted

Its true that I have not re-aligned the satelite dish. Now, maybe I should start searching for a dish of 125 cm and try to instal it.

Since I have a LNB, wire and everything in place. Do you think whether I can install the new dish myself or should I get any service from installation people.

I am not afraid to experiment with my engineering skills in installing a dish :). Any advice on aligning and installation of a dish?

Posted

Deepak, it's a pain in the ass with a large dish, but you can do it. I did my 125cm dish myself using an iPhone app to locate the satellite, then fiddling around from there to lock on exactly.

Posted

Hi Deepak_Narayanan_LFC,

Don't listen to those saying you need 125 cm dish (untrue), I have a 80cm dish and I get almost all free to air channels, but you should have bought a freesat decoder, you probably can get one sent to you from the UK, another thing the LNB, needs to be "universal" they are cheap as chips, you can get them for about 10 euros from Saturn, and the 80 cm dishes are about 70 eueos, but I needed to get one of the installers around for mine because it needs to be accurately aligned to 28.2 degrees east of south, I did try this myself with a phone app, but it/I failed miserably. Make sure there is nothing blocking the signal at that angle, if i were you though, I would have a pop with the 50cm dish first.

Posted

...Don't listen to those saying you need 125 cm dish (untrue), I have a 80cm dish and I get almost all free to air channels...

Please check the Astra 2F thread where you will learn...

Astra 1N is still broadcasting many UK TV channels UKTV.

Astra 1N is expected to be replaced by Astra 2E and Astra 2F in the near future. Astra 2F is already in position and broadcasting some channels.

There are already reports that those channels are more difficult to receive in some locations in Germany because Astra 2F has a beam more tightly focused on the UK.

It would be a costly mistake to install a dish for Astra 1N reception then find you need a larger one when Astra 1N is replaced.

Do you get good signal strength on the channels & frequencies that have moved to Astra 2F with your 80cm dish? Toytown members in Hamburg will be very pleased if you do.

Posted

update: well it's true I don't get the channel 5 stuff and the USA 5 stuff, maybe they have been moved to the other satellite, so thats all i know things work at the moment: the future who knows.....

Posted

From what I've gathered, Many channels will be making the move starting next month, possibly even the 1st week..

In which case you will deff. need a 1-1.5m dish to still receive them. As mentioned above, get the bigger dish installed now

instead of having to do it again later and a few 100 Eur more out of pocket.

Posted

Thank you very much guys.. I shall be thinking of buying a 1.25m dish and installing it myself.. But if my engineering skills on installation fails, does anyone of you know of any professional help that I can use and How much does it cost..

Posted

I bought my dish from Media mrkt, and used their installation services,wherever you buy it probably have similar services, I recall the cost of mine being about 70 euros

Posted

as mentioned above by bsdawra,i watch brit tv via filmon.com,simply buy a hdmi cable and watch on your tv via your laptop/computer

Posted

I guess, we have all lost out Channel 5 channels, BBC channels, and ITV channels by now? Anybody in the Hamburg area which still have them, if so what size dish have you got?

Posted

there is a much better thread for discussing this, but in summary no one an yet tell because the satellite still isn't stable. In Bremen all this stuff has just come back again on an 80cm

Posted

I've a 90cm dish. Yesterday I didn't get the HD channels in the evening. Don't know about during the day as I was not home. I got the SD channels but they disappeared between 7 and midnight. Up until yesterday I had lost everything.

It's too early to say or predict what is needed. According to reports the 2E satellite will not be in its final fixed position until the 21st of this month, it still has to move 0.15 degrees. 1N has started to move this morning away from 28.2, Eutelsat have to move their stuff as well onto 2E or 2F, don't know what is happening to their satellite. Plus after all that is done I would imagine there will be lots of tweaking to be done. I would wait until at last the start of March before deciding to do anything.

Plus, Astra 2G will be joining in Summer. Who knows what that will bring.

Posted

Take it over to the main thread

[adminclose][/adminclose] Reason: Conversation continued in a new thread (see link above).