Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I need proof of unemployment to get a fine reduced

32 posts in this topic

Posted

If I can get a document proving that I'm unemployed I will get a fine reduced. I'm not looking to get benefits as I know it is impossible since I haven't worked in Germany for a year, plus I'm looking for a job and confident I will get one sooner or later. But can I register as unemployed without claiming benefits? Where would I go and what papers do I need?

Posted

You can go to the unemployment office (Arbeitsagentur) and say you're seeking work, but be prepared for them to ask you why you didn't come earlier, because you've apparently been here for a while. They won't certify that you've been unemployed since January anyway, if that's what you're after.

They might also ask you whether you have proper German health insurance, which you don't seem to. So they might even tell you to pack up and go home for abusing the EU freedom of movement directive.

Given your precarious situation, you might find it more advantageous to just pay the fine. I'm glad to hear you seem to have recovered to the point that you're confident of finding a job sooner or later.

Posted

I have been working since. They promised me contracts on both occasions but held it off until I either quit or was laid off. The latter one was a minijob that meant I couldn't have a German insurance (I called and tried to give them my money but they said no).

Posted

The minijob doesn't come with health insurance. It doesn't mean you can't have health insurance. Health insurance is mandatory for all German residents. If it isn't provided by your job, you are expected to obtain it yourself.

If you had arranged this when you arrived, coming from a public system like Sweden's, you would have had a 3-month window to join a statutory health insurance fund. That window is now closed to you.

Posted

I have a Swedish health insurance covering emergency care abroad. I know it doesn't come with the minijob. I was trying to get a health insurance, paying from my own pocket and everything, but they said that I couldn't get one since I only had a minijob. I basically called, said I wanted to get insured and that I had a minijob. The answer was "No, you can't get that since you only have a minijob". I didn't really feel like arguing about that, I'm sure they were more informed than I was. I don't really see how that matters now that I'm unemployed. If I need to find an insurance as unemployed in order to not get kicked out when I ask for a paper stating that I am unemployed, I'm happy to do so too.

Posted

If you have received a fine then you have come up on the legal radar. If you don't have a job (and never had one), and don't have any health insurance then as a foreigner you are likely here illegally and can be deported. If I were you I'd keep my head down and pay the fine as it is. No sense in rocking the boat.

Posted

I was told I needed an insurance, so I tried getting one but was told I couldn't get one with the job I had. Do you guys have trouble reading? Also, I don't trust people on Toytown to a 100%, specifically for this reason. Why should I put more trust into what some morons said on a board on the internet then actual insurance agencies? I appreciate advice because sometimes it can point in the right directions.

" If you don't have a job (and never had one), and don't have any health insurance then as a foreigner you are likely here illegally and can be deported."

Are you retarded? I just said that I've had two jobs. I am still covered by the Swedish health insurance (I have been in contact with them and confirmed this).

The fine is for downloading and not a police matter but a fee to pay to not get sued. I will definitely try to get a proof that I don't have an income at the moment to get it reduced a couple of hundreds euros. Anything else would be stupid. I was hoping people here actually had some knowledge on the issue but apparently not.

Posted

You know, this and the other thread remind me of a Swedish gal i know who didn't want to believe that, living in another country, she had to get a replacement for her lost passport. She didn't want to believe it because of the expense of obtaining a new passport. Is this a swedish thing, that there has to be a cheaper option thinking?

The latter one was a minijob

Does that mean the other one was a proper job? Or under the table?

Posted

So, the OP has come here asking for "proof of unemployment" so that he can get a fine reduced.

Well, similarly to in other European countries, if you have not registered yourself as being "unemployed", guess what? you are not considered to be unemployed!

If you are looking to save some money that way, I guess you might be able to do so in the long run, but as has clearly been pointed out, you HAVE TO have health insurance if you are resident in Germany, and as Leon so nicely put it, if you don´t pay it now, you will have to pay it later - unless, of course, you never plan to get a job, and then you should just cross your fingers that you don´t get ill, because you will end up paying out of your own pocket!

As for "why should I put more trust into what some morons said on a board...", well, you came to us, and not the other way around - if you don´t like our response you are free to go forth and multiply, but generally, our mix-experience is more than you will find anywhere else!

Posted

What I don't understand is how you are looking for "proof on unemployment" on the one hand and claim to have TWO jobs on the other. Which is it? You are either unemployed or have two jobs....

Posted

I will definitely try to get a proof that I don't have an income at the moment to get it reduced a couple of hundreds euros. Anything else would be stupid.

Why would it be stupid? Even this thread is some weak proof that you do have an income.

I hope you end up having to pay more and buy your own flight ticket out of the country when they realise you are at it.

Posted

When my kid downloaded something illegally and we got the letter to pay up or get sued, I don't remember there being a clause about "unless you're unemployed, in which case we'll take a little less of the money you don't have anyway". Did it say that in the letter, or are you just hoping that they'll be bleeding-heart liberal lawyers who will take pity on you? If that's the case, good luck with that.

Posted

What I don't understand is how you are looking for "proof on unemployment" on the one hand and claim to have TWO jobs on the other. Which is it? You are either unemployed or have two jobs....

Hey diddle diddle, the cat's on the fiddle...

Posted

He wrote "I just said that I've had two jobs". The important word is HAD. He no longer has those two jobs. Do people no longer read?

Posted

I hope they triple your fine for being such a knob.