Today is Father's Day in Germany (9.May.2013)

85 posts in this topic

Posted

Most people probably know that this Sunday is Mother's day because of the constant adverts everywhere offering special Mother's day deals, etc; but I have just found out that today is Father's day, and didn't have a clue.

Did anyone else know this, or was it really not advertised anywhere? I'm pretty pissed now, because the shops are closed, and I always make a point of making sure my daughter gets something for her dad. :(

Posted

have you time to prepare him a nice lunch? or to craft something for him?

a gift doesn't always need to be something bought.

Fathers Day in the UK is June so that is when we are celebrating :)

Posted

I think it's tradition for men to take their kids to go do something and then to go out into the woods with their pals and a bollerwagen full of beer, so they have plenty of reason to remember themselves :)

Posted

Thanks for the replies. I'm not religious, so I don't know if I can use that as an excuse or not ;) I guess I just expected it to be advertised. My fault though for not being organized. Yes, MB, I will just have to get my creative on ;) I also favor handmade gifts over bought ones, but I usually like to have it ready the night before so he she can give it to him when he wakes up, along with breakfast in bed. Oh, well - this year will just have to be a late lunch, not in bed :)

Posted

I think it's tradition for men to take their kids to go do something and then to go out into the woods with their pals and a bollerwagen full of beer, so they have plenty of reason to remember themselves

Something like that would make sense in Germany - like buying your own Birthday cake :)

Posted

According the German Encyclopedia-that-everyone-can-edit, it is typically the day of the year with the highest incidence of fisticuffs, as men are introducing their sons to the manly things in life :)

Posted

Seems the advertising industry is under the Impression fathers need not be appreciated as much as mothers :(

I find this day just as boring/exciting as all the other days in my life. Feel like poohs donkey this morning :(

Posted

Only in German:

Also mentions Bollerwagenziehen and the "classic of male recreational activities: drinking 'till the puke tastes sour" ^^

Posted

Father's Day is what you make it. Whether your kids have remembered or not, do something special with them today, spend some time and show them what being a Father means. With children, you really do reap what you sow.

Then again, I'm just a Mother, what do I know?

Posted

Its more of a piss up for men than Father's day here in Germany, here's a link in case you're interested on the history of vatertag.

http://german.about.com/od/holidaysfolkcustoms/a/vatertag.htm

Posted

At least I know now what I'm doing today. Thanks guys. :lol:

Posted

Well, when the kids were little, and since nothing much was made of German Fathers Day, we just did it on the American holiday. We made gifts or went shopping for something special that the kids thought Papa might like, made cards and then had a nice meal.

Sadly, German dad never appreciated it, nor did he ever have the kids do something on Mothers day, though they often thought to do it themselves, once they got old enough and the kindergarten or school had them make stuff. I did enjoy some interesting breakfasts in bed, and got gifts that I cherish, because the kids made them. German papa walked away from all of this.

Posted

I'm off to have a picnic with the wife and kids 15 and 12 years old. Oh! and it's my 70th Birthday today(

but I'm not making any plans to ascend just yet) Come on you guys "Happy Birthday to you, Happy"...

Posted

I greatly enjoyed the drive to work this morning.

Posted

Not true at all. Just yesterday i heard an ad on the radio by Krombacher i think. It was about having a nice day with your friends, your bollerwagen and of course Krombacher.

Seriously though its not fathers day today. No one cares about it. Its just an excuse to drink alcohol.

Posted

Exactly. It's completely different from Mother's Day.

My husband usually doesn't do that, but it always hit me as rather sexist that men use THEIR day to go out drinking and having fun with their friends, whereas mothers are supposed to enjoy a day with the family.

Says a lot.

Truth be told, I hate all of those commercial "holidays".

Posted

Agreed. "Father's Day" in Germany is revolting. Better to skip it than to lump your husband in with that lot, especially if he is in fact a good father. Really makes you wonder what the Germans think fathering is all about.

Posted

I had a nice bike ride today and saw many fathers out riding with their kids. What's so revolting?

I think the riding around on tractors and drinking is more of a countryside thing and I doubt that all women put up with it.

Similar to the former "Frühschoppen" (?) when the men gathered and drank while the women went home from church to cook a big meal.

Posted

Around here the activities seem to be divided between fathers who actually do spend times with their kids on this day and young childless men who go into the woods, get drunk and whack each other with baseball bats. To each his own.

Posted

I had a nice bike ride today and saw many fathers out riding with their kids. What's so revolting?

I think the riding around on tractors and drinking is more of a countryside thing and I doubt that all women put up with it.

Similar to the former "Frühschoppen" (?) when the men gathered and drank while the women went home from church to cook a big meal.

Former? Pretty much still the case where I live. It's sad. lol.

Posted

Vatertag rund um Berlin

So, according to a quick peek at the Tagesspiegel, there are three times more accidents on Vatertag; there have been police interventions and fighting; but most interesting of all is the freak lightning strike in Mecklenburg that has injured 39 men. I wonder if God was unhappy with the men's manner of celebrating Christi Himmelfahrt?

With the exception of the act of God, the rest of it is what I would call revolting male behavior.

Posted

A few bollerwagen on the U-Bahn coming back from Hagenbecks this afternoon, one with a complete BBQ on it (with steaks).

Posted

Debauchery Disrupted: Father's Day Lightening Strike Injures 40

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/fathers-day-revellers-interrupted-by-lightening-strike-in-germany-a-898964.html

Looks like some people got more than they bargained for.

Posted

I remember Vatertag in the village where we were living as being just one more day when the old guys sat in the sun until lunchtime, while the wives were in their fifty-year-old kitchens.