Cheap property in Rhineland-Palinate region

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Having scoured the internet on a property hunt to buy a house, we discovered very reasonably priced properties in the Rheinland-Palatinate region.

At these prices - for example, a 5 bedroom farmhouse for 75,000 euros, we would be able to buy outright.

Does anyone have any background info or experience of the area or any suggestions on why the property here seems so reasonable?

Posted

Not enough info. Where is it? The size and usefulness of the property as well as the condition of the house are probably the main drivers. It sounds dirt cheap for anywhere in Germany so you'll want to have a consultant give it the once over to check for problems.

Posted

If you are buying as an investment, read up on the rules first - it's nothing like buying in France or Spain.

Posted

This site has comparable prices for a 5 bedroom farmhouse.

I'm wondering how many houses have you looked at this region? What info would you like to know about the region can you be more specific.

Have you ever been to this region before?

Posted

Well the property at this price was in Norath, but there are very similar ones at similar prices in Morbach, Enkirch, Trarbach and Alterkulz. Just wondered was there some reason other than the location being very rural, for example are there some environmental or planning issues in the area that would explain the cheap prices.

Sorry to be vague, at this stage it is just a general query of this area. We want to relocate to Germany (self-employed online business and fluent German husband)but it has to be affordable. We have lived in Nuremberg before, and Austria, but the prices there are simply too expensive for our budget.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Posted

Well, having done only a little more research (and on this very website), I have just discovered articles reporting that international energy companies plan to drill for gas across the Rhine state, and that high levels of toxins have also been found present in the water supply there. Could explain the reasonable prices I guess....

Anyone have any ideas on other areas to look at in terms of price? We dont mind rural but dont want to have to airlift supplies to the top of a mountain!

Posted

When you're in "self employed online business": Be aware that some rural areas have such slow internet that one is forced to assume the bits are carried by message pidgeons...

Cheers

Franklan

Posted

Those places are kind of in the middle of nowhere, areas with high unemployment and constantly decreasing population, too high up on the hills to grow grapes, etc.

The low prices are somewhat unsurprising? Plus, many farmhouses need a lot of renovation

Anyone have any ideas on other areas to look at in terms of price? We dont mind rural but dont want to have to airlift supplies to the top of a mountain!

The area between Nürnberg and Bayreuth, just east of Forchheim, should be relatively cheap. It's also not completely in the middle of nowhere, since in 45 mins you can be in Nürnberg.

Posted

areas with high unemployment

You actually made me look up the unemployment statistics for Bernkastel district there (where those towns located). 4.5% as of start of this month, 12.3% for foreigners.

They're all located at around 45-60 minutes from Trier btw, and about 90 minutes from civilization.

Posted

A lot of cheap houses in the Neckar-Odenwald-Kreis. On Immobilienscout put in a village like Aglasterhausen, search in 50km radius, lowest price first, and voila!

Posted

They're all located at around 45-60 minutes from Trier btw, and about 90 minutes from civilization.

This made me laugh. I'll tell a friend from Trier. He'll be delighted :P

Posted

You actually made me look up the unemployment statistics for Bernkastel district there (where those towns located). 4.5% as of start of this month, 12.3% for foreigners.

Mmm. The explanation must then lie elsewhere. Either the unemployed people have moved, or the houses must be completely renovated.

Ftr, what I said was taken from a FAZ article I read some months ago, which was talking about the area between Mosel and Rhein as being the "Hartz-IV core", where entire villages now live off unemployment benefits - not out of lack of willingness to work, but simply due to lack of local opportunities and willingness to move.

Posted

This region of Germany has inexpensive houses too.

This region I prefer much better than Rhineland-Pfalz. The Elbe river valley region is so beautiful.

Look how much this house cost and how much land you get around it.

Posted

This region of Germany has inexpensive houses too.

This region I prefer much better than Rhineland-Pfalz. The Elbe river valley region is so beautiful.

It's much colder, not as well connected, the wine is not as good as Rhineland-Pfalz tho.

Posted

It's just the location. No schools, shops, doctors, hospitals or anything else nearby. Eifelregion, Westerwald.. You can buy a square meter serviced building ground for 45 Euro. It's 300 in Bonn.

Posted

If you have a Vehicle... can work on-line and Speak the Lingo... then why the hell not?

Ignore what half the folk say on here... many chose their Homes based on distance from Bus-stop or U-Bahn.

As for the water issue... well, that really is a first world problem... !!!

Your home is what you make it, be it a caravan or a chataux!

Posted

If you have more than one Vehicle (if you have kids), at least one of them suitable for snow and ice uphill, if you like it quiet and if you don't need company, it's great. Lots of nature.

Posted

And if you dont like it Quiet, and have a car... Jump in ot and find some noise!

Living Without a Mortgage or a rent to pay each month is just wonderful! :P

Posted

If you're moving from the UK, I would strongly suggest that you plan an extended stay, and do a lot of research, in any area where you intend to settle down. Low prices are often indicative of flimsy construction (which can result in huge heating bills, among other things - Germany has four seasons and extremely high energy prices) and/or a huge repair backlog.

For a small selection of the issues you might face buying a "unique fixer-upper in the middle of nowhere", I suggest you read the posts and threads by CamperMan, who was enticed by the idea of a cheap property in rural Saxony-Anhalt.

Posted

Flimsy Construction?

Camperman was just far too naieve...

If they live in a large farm house, then they only need to heat the rooms they use... They dont have to pay everytime someone else switches on the Stairwell light...

They dont have to pay for repairs that arent needed... they are incontrol of what is done in the way of repairs...

They wont have some twat with a cat that moans about kiddies playing, living above them...

The Advantages out weigh the dissadvantages! IMHO..

This is an example of one of the walls at my place!

post-20684-13672686299042_thumb.jpg

Posted

You may be able to buy cheap. But in case you want to sell one day be prepared having to sell even cheaper.

Posted

Such wisdom..

Posted

Actually SP, the Herms would frown on only heating certain rooms of the house as it (supposedly) causes condensation to move through the walls, potentially causing Setzritze (or so I've been told). In any case I'd have the joint checked for mould, setzritze, quality of roof, wet basement... all the usual stuff.

/Been here too long

Posted

But dan... They used to heat the rooms that were used many years ago...

They didnt put a fire in every room...!

Posted

They didn't use concrete as their building material back then.