T-online new data capping

20 posts in this topic

Posted

I guess many people have read about the new data capping by T-online where from the 2nd of May people will be capped after 75gig. Now, I've been reading some conflicting stories about this, so maybe some one here knows the lowdown.

* does this affect existing contracts or only new contracts after May 2nd?

* if only new contracts, I guess it would be a good idea to up my speed before that date.

* if old contracts are affected, will there be a possibility to get out of the contract?

And finally, which better services are there where I can switch without caps, we will need 50mbps or better.

Posted

IF this happens (and that's a big if - even the German government has criticized the move), only existing contracts will be affected.

Furthermore, the 75 GB cap applies to DSL 16000. The planned limit for VDSL 25 is 200 GB; VDSL 50 connections get 400.

Last but not least, the speed brake won't take effect until 2016, according to a Telekom statement (see the "FAQ zur DSL-Drosselung" in my link).

Posted

Data caps have been in most T-online contracts since 2012, but have not been activated. Any revisions will (and practically only can) apply to new contracts. My understanding is that VDSL 50 and 100 will be capped at 200GB/month and customers who want to be released from the capping can pay to do so, also on an ad-hoc basis every time they exceed their "limit".

Given the unrest that Telekom's announcement seems to have stirred up, it's questionable if it will actually be implemented.

Posted

Thanks guys. It does seem rather confusing regarding the information available. I have to say 200GB/month may clear it with me ok, but the 500GB also mentioned would be better. 75GB/month is certainly not enough for my usage, as I also stream music from Spotify all the time.

Posted

All that is happening now is that new contracts are having the posibility of a cap being imposed written into them. For new customers at some stage in the future Telekom will start throttling etc.

Its also been stated by telecom that they havent yet the systems in place to implement a cap/ throttling and that would take at least a couple of years, so even on a new contract its not something thats going to happen any time soon.

Anyone with an existing contract isnt affected and when your contract just gets automatically renewed in the next months (or years) then you still remain on the old conditions with no limit and whatever other conditions are in your original contract.

Posted

Way out: other ISP

Posted

All that is happening now is that new contracts are having the posibility of a cap being imposed written into them.

Existing contracts (since early 2012) already have the cap - they just don't implement it yet.

Remember too that a change of service (e.g. speed upgrade) starts a new contract.

Posted

One cant expect unlimited for nothing. Best choose the appropriate package methinks.

Posted

So what are the alternatives? O2?

Posted

A lot of people are moving over to 1&1 who are comparatively very cheap, historically have crap service, but of late are much better.

Posted

I read in another thread you said http://www.congstar.de/dsl-festnetz/ is the better option. Personally i'll probably go with them as you do not need to sign a 24 month contract and a 16mb line is €25

Posted

That's what you pay for O2 as well - including a landline phone and a landline (national) flat rate

Posted

One cant expect unlimited for nothing. Best choose the appropriate package methinks.

You're right for new customers but existing customers have been getting unlimited for no extra cost and that was also a selling point of the service.

Posted

That's what you pay for O2 as well - including a landline phone and a landline (national) flat rate

But with O2 that price is only if you sign a contract is'nt it?

Posted

I heard on SWR3 that Telekom are going to be changing the way they deliver voice services in the next few years - ie, utilising VOIP in the future. In order for this to happen they will effectively have to change the terms and conditions for existing customers. At this point they will have the opportunity to introduce a cap for DSL into the existing T&Cs.

Nothing is going to happen until 2016 though as has already been pointed out, and this is echoed in Telekoms blog post here: http://blogs.telekom.com/2013/03/22/neue-spielregeln-fuer-dsl/

Posted

Nobody is objecting to Telekom changing their network to all IP. And even the caps would not be objectionable (although unpleasant for heavy users on cheapo plans). The biggest problem in their plans, as announced, is the crass violation of network neutrality, by exempting Entertain from the data caps. Entertain is a huge bandwidth hog. I don't know the exact details, but I know that a 50 VDSL line is required to stream two HD signals over the same connection, so it has to be more than 12.5 Mb/s. Claiming that the caps are required to conserve bandwidth, but saying it's okay for their own services, they're just being hypocrites.

Want to stream a different video service? Too bad, you'll have to pay extra for it, they're saying. That's discriminatory, violates net neutrality (which states that all the bits that go through the internets tubes have to be treated equally), and abuses their market position.

Here's a real-world analogy: imagine Kaisers/Tengelmann owned the entire road network in and around Munich. Then they said they were establishing a toll system for all food trucks that wanted to travel to or through the region, but the trucks carrying food for Tengelmann would be exempt. Furthermore, the non-Tengelmann trucks would be restricted to driving at 15 km/h, while the Tengelmann trucks could go as fast as the road network permitted.

That's why I'm hoping Telekom will wise up and back down before they're smacked down by the regulator (and the German government for stifling innovation). It's already a huge PR disaster for them and it's getting worse every day. I thought they were smarter than that, but I guess I was wrong. It seems they're already paying for replacing an Internet visionary like Obermann with a bean-counter like Höttges.

Posted

But with O2 that price is only if you sign a contract is'nt it?

As far as I remember, you could give 1 month notice as long as you have your own router (or paid separately for it). However, you only get the router for free if you commit to 2 years.

Posted

As far as I remember, you could give 1 month notice as long as you have your own router (or paid separately for it). However, you only get the router for free if you commit to 2 years.

aaah! Ok thanks!