How has a smartphone changed your life?

142 posts in this topic

Posted

For someone in IT, I'm relatively slow in adapting to new technologies. In the 90's I refused to get a mobile phone. I didn't want to be able to be contacted 24/7. A few years ago, I refused to get on Facebook until my wife talked me into it, and even then I refused most friendship requests in the beginning. With around 300 "friends", I'm still on the relatively low side of fb-friends.

My wife had been playing with my kid's iphone when he was home for a weekend last year and mentioned how practical it was, so I called our service provider to see if her contract was ready for an extension. It wouldn't be for a couple more months, but mine was able to be extended. I extended mine, changed the contract to unlimited everything, and got an iphone with it.

Up to that point my wife's phone was a Zusatzkarte on my contract. In my naivety, I assumed that she would get the unlimited everything that I had, and gave her the iphone for her birthday that year.

A couple of bills and almost a thousand Euros later, I realised that our contracts had been split, so she had the iphone, and I had the unlimited data contract. I called the company and asked what we could do to fix this for future bills. By this time my wife's contract was ready for renewal, so I set her contract up just like mine, and I wound up with an iphone that I thought I didn't need or want.

I now use that phone all the time and -- here's where I finally get to the point of the thread -- realised yesterday that I don't read books anymore. I still pack a book and take it out of my bag when I get on the train, but never touch it until it's time to put it back in my bag before getting off the train. I spend the entire trip surfing or playing baseball on my iphone.

Other ways it has changed my life is that I don't have to remember anything anymore, I just tell Siri to remind me.

The mobile phone in general has made it so I no longer have to remember phone numbers and instead of being able to call my wife once a week on the company phone card, I now call her several times a day.

How has the smart phone or mobile phone in general changed your life?

Posted

How has the smart phone or mobile phone in general changed your life?

Not at all. I didn´t use my mobile phone and now I don´t use my smart phone. It´s usually switched off anyway. It occurred to me that it would probably be smarter to carry a digital camera around with me, because that is the only feature I use.

However I do have a 7" tablet computer (Android) that I use all the time. In the morning it´s my internet radio and my newspaper. When I travel, I use it for entertainment and orientation. Sometimes I even use it as a mobile phone (although that looks really stupid).

Posted

I've got a very basic smartphone that gives me flat rate netz, mobile and internet but to be honest I hardly ever use it. Like the previous poster, I've got a few numbers that I transfered from my ancient 'pay as you go' 9'99euro special I bought about one hundred years ago.

I do use it for taken pics with though. Very handy (if you'll excuse the pun).

Our youngest daughter (16) lives on hers and has all sorts of apps that I will honestly never comprehend and would probably never use if I did known what do do with them.

I wasn't a fan of facebook until about 3 years ago when I completely revamped our business website and started using FB (under duress I might add) for laying photographs onto. I amybe take a look 3 or 4 times a week nowadays.

One of the most annoying bloody things with my smartphone is that I've got virtually no signal at the back of the house and only slightly better at the front where as my old PAYG works brilliantly everywhere!!!

Posted

I love mine I bought a cheapie second hand LG to test the water I used it so much the poor thing couldnt cope and Ive just upgraded to a Samsung s3 its my radio, my dictionary, my camera all of which I used to carry about with me, as a Arthritis sufferer a lighter handbag is always a good thing I can also use it to play a quick game while in waiting rooms and remind me of things that I need to remember all in all Im a complete convert and its quickly becoming my 3rd hand.

<-@

Posted

I can make phone calls with mine... :rolleyes:

Posted

Information on the go: internet, genealogy, education, communication, gps. I'm a smartphone addict (although that doesn't mean I understand all the features at all well) and notice I get a bit "jumpy" after a few hours without mine!

Posted

With Camscanner I always "snap" documents then go "send as PDF". Do it in a car, bus, at the doctors etc. Even in the office Camscanner is more convenient than using a PC scanner.

Öffi saves me lots of clicks to find the nearest bus or complicated transport connection.

Evernote lets me make notes on the fly. There are already on my PC when I get home!

If I take a picture it is on my PC when I get home too.

The rest, podcasting, browsing, satnav, games, email, copy-paste, multi-tasking etc. worked well on my old Nokia (wifi) non-smart phone. Where the battery lasted ages.

Posted

My husband gave me a smartphone around the time our son was born since he had an iPhone for work. My first app was BabyESP, which helped me the first 6 months when I first had my baby and I still use to log his medicines and growth rate. I didn't use it much, aside from that, when I was in Germany, but here, it has helped me plan routes on public transport, navigating the large bus and subway system. And i use Maps ALL THE TIME. Has helped me not to get lost many more times than I care. But I studied geography so I'd have paper maps on me if it weren't for my phone.

Posted

I don't know about dumbing down, but it is certainly reducing the amount of sleep I get. Pre-iphone, if I woke in the night, I would keep my eyes closed and fall back to sleep within a couple of minutes. Now, if I wake in the night, I reach for the phone, check what has been going on on Facebook, then I will check my email, and perhaps read a few newspapers that I did not quite get round to reading during the day. And, I have the kindle app on the phone, so I might read a couple of chapters of whatever book I am currently reading. I am going to have to ban it from the bedroom soon: the lack of sleep has become chronic, it is just fortunate that I no longer have to drive everyday. During the day, I take a lot more photos than before. And, if I don't know something, it is nice having the internet right there in the pocket. I cannot imagine ever going to an actual library again to look up some piece of trivia...

Posted

It's changed mine, and I haven't even got one (although I'm about to bow to pressure). As a freelancer, I often get people calling me about jobs or such, and they say "I sent you an email/I'll send you an email) and they seem a little confused when I reply that I'm out at the moment but will reply once I'm online again.

Posted

My smartphone is my most important gadget next to my computer. It's my email, weather report, wrist watch, alarm clock, radio, snapshot camera, mp3 player, mobile video player... and nearly forgot, my phone as well.

So far I don't use many other apps, but this will probably change..

In my case it hasn't been a dumbing down, more the reverse, gives me more access. But I notice a lot of people just seem to use them to play games or else just surf facebook, things which I hardly bother with.

Posted

The big one plays with toy phones the old school way, stabbing his finger at buttons and expecting them to respond.

Surely the "old school" way of playing with a toy phone is to put a finger into a circle full of 10 little holes, and drag it around whilst hearing a clicking noise?

Chatter Telephone

Posted

By the way, my Facebook friends are about 60. I got rid of a few names and could probably trim them down even further. I also ignore most requests.

I got rid of about a third of them 2 years ago and a couple more along the way, mostly because they were never really friends anyway.

I've been thinking of doing another major purge, as well. I'm running out of people I want to get rid of, though... :P

I, too, have several ignored friend requests. I guess I should just either confirm or decline them, I just haven't yet and some of them have been sitting there for two years or so. I'll get around to it someday.

Posted

You won't believe that I actually bought an IPhone after "my thread in 2011 about people magnetized by their smartphone. Nothing has changed a lot since then only that newspapers and magazines are being replaced more and more by e-book readers. I only use my IPhone when I need it and this is not often, perhaps half an hour per day. I don't play games on it, for example. I sold my Atari 2600 in 1986 and closed the chapter on playing computer games. I installed one app so far (Photosynth), but didn't use it yet, haha.

The other day I noticed a guy in his 20s sitting next to me in the U-Bahn. First, he packed out his laptop and did some work on it and put it away again. Then, he took his Blackberry out and typed some messages with the speed of light. At the final destination, I stood up to get out and he was still typing until he realized he had to stand up as well and he put his Blackberry in his pocket. There was some queue at the doors, so he took this opportunity to take out his Blackberry again and continued typing for 3 seconds until I pushed him a bit making clear that the queue was gone and I wanted out. He then packed it away again. I thought "Poor guy, it's still a long way to retirement for him."

Posted

The other day I noticed a guy in his 20s sitting next to me in the U-Bahn. First, he packed out his laptop and did some work on it and put it away again. Then, he took his Blackberry out and typed some messages with the speed of light. At the final destination, I stood up to get out and he was still typing until he realized he had to stand up as well and he put his Blackberry in his pocket. There was some queue at the doors, so he took this opportunity to take out his Blackberry again and continued typing for 3 seconds until I pushed him a bit making clear that the queue was gone and I wanted out. He then packed it away again. I thought "Poor guy, it's still a long way to retirement for him."

but the difference is he's being productive with his time, not just being a passive consumer of media, unlike newspaper and magazine readers. Unless he's just playing games or idly surfing, which it doesnt sound like he was. Old media on the other hand dumbs us down.

Posted

I use mine a lot but I am not addicted to it and I still hate when people overuse them while socializing which I find offensive.

I use Waze a lot, it is an online GPS with realtime information, it is really a godsend because we have tight schedules for sending the kids to different Kitas, Waze gives me always the best routes and it really saved me many times from been stuck in traffic. My wife can as well check in her Waze app how far I am from home when driving home in the afternoon.

Then the normal emailing here and there, quick check in Wikipedia to solve conversation disputes during lunch, Whatsapp with the wife, a puzzle game in the toilet, photos uploaded to my PC automagically thanks to Dropbox, book reader while taking the daughter to ballet class or when taking the kids to the park, quick Amazon check price to avoid falling for fake promotions when shopping, skype-ing with my mother and sister back home, German dictionary, Evernote for keeping notes synched with my PC, and some other small things I might be forgetting.

It is more about having the power to do all that in my pocket.

Posted

Surely the "old school" way of playing with a toy phone is to put a finger into a circle full of 10 little holes, and drag it around whilst hearing a clicking noise?

Chatter Telephone

I've actually only seen the two boys playing with toy mobile phones, I should have been clearer :huh:

My daughter had one of the Fisher Price phones but I don't remember if it had a circle full of holes or buttons. She mostly used it for bashing things.

Posted

but the difference is he's being productive with his time, not just being a passive consumer of media, ..

I'm sure it was work-related, but it looked like his phone got control over him instead of the other healthy way around.

Posted

Apart from the annoying fact that I have to remember to recharge it every day and to be extra careful not to drop it, not at all. I really miss my old Nokia. 4 days battery, nearly indestructible. Free Whatsapp is something I appreciate, though. But I'm not a phone person anyway.

Posted

Totally brilliant things. I can be off on holiday or doing sports and with the iPhone be in touch by email, SKYPE, WhatsApp....in case of emergency problems or issues. 99% of the time stuff runs smoothly but I can react when needed. Phone never ever actually rings - I never use it for talking.

So for me it is freedom. I can stay out of the office without worrying.

Posted

I thought "Poor guy, it's still a long way to retirement for him."

The hole in the ground might be a lot closer though!

Posted

I'm too late as well in adapting new technologies. I do not own a smartphone as yet but since long have been toying with the idea. I travel approx. an hour to work and it simply amazes me to see all teens / other commuters glued to the screen of their devices. The other day i saw a couple hugging and during the hug, the guy had was fidgeting with his iphone. Well that didnt bother the girl and she kissed him as well. The mother smoking, surfing on her smartphone and missing the cute smile of her baby. Honestly so many instances i see everyday where people simply forget to appreciate what life has to offer and immerse themselves in the digital world. Perhaps its a way to get away from their daily mundane chores.

The following ad from Thailand is most suitable to what i really mean to say.

I really enjoy observing people around me like the smile of a baby, making small talks etc. but being connected 24x7 is certainly not the way i'd like to live my life. So i do not own a smartphone and very happy with my old phone whose battery lasts ages but i do see having a smartphone has changed lot of people around me.

Dammit, mits. That advert choked me up and brought tears to my eyes. Very touching.