Waiting for American movies to come to Germany

11 posts in this topic

Posted

As an avid movie go-er, I pay close attention to the American film scene and upcoming releases. I realize that the international releases will always be a bit behind the US and UK releases, but I've found that Germany is consistently way behind other European countries.

A prime example is Trance, which just came out in the UK last week. It's coming to the US, Russia, Chile, Taiwan, etc. this month. France, Mexico and a few others get it in May. Hungary, Turkey, and the Netherlands have to wait until June... and then there's Germany all by itself way over in August.

The same thing happened with The Master and Les Mis.

I'm wondering- what is it about Germany's copyright laws that makes international releases such an ordeal? Are these the same GEMA regulations that block youtube videos or Hulu? Or is it a separate issue entirely?

I'm so frustrated with all of this waiting, that I would honestly feel better about it if I understood the reason.

I appreciate any insight you guys can provide!

Posted

It's all up to the local distributors. Some movies (like The Avengers) even start in Germany first.

Posted

I doubt too that hulu is blocked by GEMA.

Posted

It might have something to do with dubbing or the FSK.

Posted

Evil has the correct answer.

Posted

It's got nothing to do with copyright. There are a whole lot of things that need to be considered as to when a movie is being released. Target group, holidays, time of year, etc etc. Each country varies in that.

And sometimes films will be shown here first, before everywhere else.

Posted

I think its because they need time to make the dubbing as bad as physically possible first.

Bet it was fun in the old days when there were TWO John Waynes and Clint Eastwoods et al! ( West and East Germany!) :D

Posted

Evil has the correct answer.

Evil is never wrong. :ph34r:

Posted

What is really weird is there is no consistency, except I suppose that it is consistently inconsistent.

- Some blockbuster US films come out on day of release in US and Germany +/- a few days e.g. Die Hard, Oblivion

- Some blockbuster films come out in Germany several months after release in US/Global e.g. Prometheus in Germany

- Some "niche" US films come out almost same time as US

- Some "niche" US films come out in Germany 1+ years after US release

I've noticed most UK films, niche or otherwise, which had film funding by Canal Plus/Film 4 or some kind of multi-party funding often take the longest to get released in Germany. Or anything Merchant-Ivory-esque. I remember Trainspotting was around 1 or 2 years old before it was screened DE nationwide after UK (same again for OV version).

And certain AU films e.g Kath + Kimderella (out on au DVD this month) never get screened anywhere other than locally, so are either straight-to-DVD or not at all neither in theaters nor DVD.