Are you posh or poshless?

30 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058

Hm, new research show the Brits have 7 social classes..None of this traditional Upstairs Downstairs stuff: ie...just us and them. We´ve moved on..or have we? Do you identify with this research? Are you another class: the Missing Link? Or something else? Where do you belong ..or don´t you want to?

Whether a Brit or from somewhere else: your comments would be welcome!

I´m not sure I personally belong anywhere here...but I´ll give it some thought.

Posted

I did this earlier at work - apparently I'm an emergent services worker. Changing from being a "renter" to a "home owner" is all it takes to become part of the established middle class. Load of bollocks if you ask me!

Posted

The test is all in British pounds, so I can't take it. :P

I was raised non-posh, quasi-redneck, so I do like a few posh things now and again - mostly food related. :)

Posted

I´m democratic, mlovett! Answers in dollars, pounds, euros, yen - anything!

By the way, you were raised? Lucky thing! :D

I like " posh " Italian shirts, by the way! Otherwise, I´m down to earth ( though weird and contradictory, conservative and revolutionary left, wimpish influences, old and young and basically should be put down as a mad dog! ). ).

Posted

I´m democratic, mlovett! Answers in dollars, pounds, euros, yen - anything!

By the way, you were raised? Lucky thing!

I like " posh " Italian shirts, by the way! Otherwise, I´m down to earth ( though weird and contradictory, conservative and revolutionary left, wimpish influences, old and young and basically should be put down as a mad dog! ). ).

John, you are my guy.I like comfort. That's all it matters.We came with nothing and shall leave with nothing.But while alive we need continuation for comfort.We need attention so we must give attention; we need help sometimes so we should give some help when needed.As for living to show off and to pretend we are richer, smarter or better is nothing but a dead end street for anyone's mind.As for being raised, I was not raised. I just grew up with a tin cup and now I drink my tea from a cup to fit a queen and it does not taste any different.Last Sunday was Easter and my wife dug out the good cutlery and the fine bone china.The chicken did not taste any different than any other time.But now I remember again what it feels to have a silver spoon in my mouth. :)

As for being democratic, there I draw the line.I won't have any of that stuff, being it dollars,Euros or heaven forbid pounds for any period of time.Did you know the the pound is worth nothing?( GB is the most indebted country in the civilized world.) The only reason people still take it because the Brits can put on a show better than anyone else. :rolleyes:

Posted

Fair enough, gaberlunzi! I´lll prove my revolutionary/democratic credentials! I´ll take Canadian doll :D ars!!

By the way, what´s this stuff about GB being civilised? Are you kidding? They threw me B) out!!!

Posted

There I thought they abolished remittance men. When I started out here there was a little man who cleaned the streets in my town.One day he asked me if I could translate the title on a German record. I could read the title alright but did not know the English words.He seemed to be a well educated person and when he died he left the University $150 000, a lot of money in the late 1950. I was told then he was a remittance man. Not knowing the term it was explained to me that the crown sent their surplus people overseas and paid them for not coming back.He probably was to outspoken for them.

I left and nobody ever gave me a cent. So GB was civilized because they looked after their people and I came from Germany and got nothing.

Posted

There may have been one or two exceptions who were illegitimate offspring of royalty, but otherwise it wasn't the crown who supported remttance men, gaberlunzi, as you can see from the first paragraph of the Wikipedia entry:

In 19th century British usage, a remittance man is an emigrant, often to a British colony, supported or assisted by payment of money from their paternal home. As a general term remittance man or remittance woman could mean anyone living away from home supported mainly by their family in a different house, neighborhood, city, or country regardless of their reason for being there. Such a person may be seeking business fortune, education, extended vacation, a new place for the family to move, employment, or safety from personal, family, or legal troubles.

I think they were regarded mainly as unemployable second or third sons and/or 'black sheep' of their families. As few families could afford to pay such amounts merely for the protection of their reputation it's safe to assume they were likely to be from the so-called "upper" or "upper-middle" class.

2B

ETA: Your friendly streetsweeper may have accumulated (and owed the university)such funds in the same way the Korean that made the Gangnam Style record-breaking YouTube video did. I saw him on a CNN International interview and he said his family had sent him to Boston and remitted to him the fees for his MIT course (which he dropped out of within the first few weeks). He secretly went to LA to hang out with the hip-hop and rap artist scene for two years before his folks rumbled him and recalled him to Korea.

Posted

I'm established middle class. So sad I'm not elite - it can only be the lack of the dosh, as I go to the opera.

Posted

they were likely to be from the so-called "upper" or "upper-middle" class.

Peter Nash was well spoken and very kind and had the best hand writing I ever saw, so I assumed he could have come from a higher class. He also called the queen a bitch, a word I did not know what it meant at the time.My boss laughed about it when he explained it to me what bitch meant.As a foot note,when I visited my daughter in Cambridge some 30 years ago I met an American couple looking for Nash relatives and I found out this Peter was also a relative of their's.Small world indeed.

Posted

Just took the test to see where I belong in society.

Apparently I'm one of the "New affluent workers, average age 44".

I'm a 59 year old grumpy git. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058

Hm, new research show the Brits have 7 social classes..None of this traditional Upstairs Downstairs stuff: ie...just us and them. We´ve moved on..or have we? Do you identify with this research? Are you another class: the Missing Link? Or something else? Where do you belong ..or don´t you want to?

Whether a Brit or from somewhere else: your comments would be welcome!

I´m not sure I personally belong anywhere here...but I´ll give it some thought.

Trust the Brits to come up with more of this class crap. Not satisfied with their 3 classes, or their ABC B1 B2 or whatever, used by advertising and marketing people over on the Insel.

Frankly Im not interested.

In any case, there are only 3 classes. Middle class, chavs and toffs. Always have been, always will be. All you need.

DISCLAIMER Im a Brit.

Posted

If you you are single and need to work to pay the bills and have some sort of life then you are working class.

If you are a couple and both need to work then you are working class.

If one of you chooses to stay at home to look after the kids, and you can afford to do this, then you are middle class.

Other than that, who cares.

Another bloody meaningless survey masquerading as news.

BBC, hang your head in shame. :(

Just read the above. So true. But in Glasgow we have "Neds", a sort of sub-species of Chav.

Any other local terms for the low lifes that are frankly fucking ruining Britain?

Posted

People that give a shit about whether they're posh or poshless are rather gormless.

Posted

Doing this and listening to a debate on 5 live last night reminded me of TV interviews around the time of the last election when the poor interviewer was talking with what can best be described as a chav. He did his best to try and explain to her why she was working class. Her response? I don@t work so I can't be working class, I must be middle class!

Posted

I stopped reading the article when the researches claimed that "in the past it was the work you did that determined your class". This is pertinently an example of the "arse-about-face" fallacy.

I'm as middle class as they get, and a generation ago I would've come out of university into a cushty mid-ranking civil service job until retirement (maybe rising to top-level civil servant if I had the right elbows).

Of course, those days are gone: women's lib, hippies, etc etc have thrown that sort of security overboard and now I have to mix with the plebs to find gainful employment, worry where my retirement funds are going to come from, can't afford the Chelsea Tractor to drive to the Lidl, in short... suckiness

Posted

Ah, Gwaptiva..when I was about 14 or 15, there was a Career Day at our school with stands and people from different jobs ready to answer questions. I decided that day I wanted to be a Customs officer!!! Can´t remember now why...spent a long time on the road :D years after that trying to avoid them!

Posted

I fit precisely nowhere (but wouldn't have expected to). Very glad to be living in a country where being an expat means that only fellow British expats can discriminate against me because of my accent and most of them are far too nice to do so!

Posted

It is nice to know who you are, Selbstbewusstsein without arrogance. No bending over and no pushing down. (not a pedal pusher be)

Positions never impressed me, however success stories always made me envious.