Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Au pairing in Goslar

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone!

I'm 22 and from America, and will possibly be AuPairing in Goslar next year. It seems like such a beautiful town, but I was wonder if anyone could give me any insight as to what it may be like to live there as a local. Is there any kind of scene/ things to do for young adults or people in their 20's. I know it's very well known to tourist for it's history, but are there any places to visit or hang out for some regular fun or to meet new people and make friends? What do locals generally do there?

Thanks for the help!

Kaytie

Posted

Looking at a map, the place looks like its a quiet city. I'm guessing most 20 somethings will

be heading into Hanover for the club scene type fun.

Posted

Or you google "Goslar nightlife" and see what exciting possibilities are available to students and other young bloods right there in Goslar and Bad Harzburg, a mere 16 minutes away by train.

Posted

well....am afraid researching for night life in that area will not get you too excited. The nearest happening place would be Braunschweig!

Goslar Badharzburg at the heart of the Harz are more quiet and lovely, with picturesque landscapes and canals etc.

Posted

Don't bother with any of the advice above, most of the posters don't have a clue where the Harz is, never mind what's going on in Goslar.

Goslar is a historic mining town, one of the original 7 'Oberharzer' and is architecturally stunning' but don't let that put you off ;-)

There's loads here for 20 somethings including (and it's only 15 mins from Goslar) one of Germany's biggest nightclubs (will 7 floors do ya). Clausthal Zellerfeld has a thriving techincal university, 1000's of students from around the world and that's only 10 minutes drive from Goslar. There's always something going on there and the pavement cafe life is very good.

Gottingen is circa 30 mins down the motorway and is a busy (huge medical university) city with good nightlife, a beautiful old town and a fantastic shopping centre.

Braunschweig (or Brunswick as you Yanks call it-or used to) is often overlooked but that's a big mistake. People who don't know it (or are scared of going there because it was in the old east) aim for Hannover but their city centre is looking pretty drab these days. Braunschweig on the other hand, has a fanastic modern and (right next to it) beautiful old city and a massive promenade right in front of the Alte Schloss

Of course, it all depends what you're looking for but the Harz is a stunning place to live. Brilliant scenery and wonderful old cities

Hope that helps.

If you want more info, PM me. My office is in the Harz

PS. If you do get here, don't bother going out till circa 11pm - most young Germans would not be seen dead at a nightclub/disco beofre that time of night.

Posted

well....am afraid researching for night life in that area will not get you too excited. The nearest happening place would be Braunschweig!

Goslar Badharzburg at the heart of the Harz are more quiet and lovely, with picturesque landscapes and canals etc.

THERE ARE NO CANALS IN THE HARZ!!! I don't know where you got that gem from!

Posted

Of course there are canals in the Harz Mountains. They are part of an almost 1,000 year old drainage system for the equally old mines. They are even an UNESCO world heritage site since 2010. They are just not typical canals to run ships on it.

Posted

Braunschweig (or Brunswick as you Yanks call it-or used to) is often overlooked but that's a big mistake. People who don't know it (or are scared of going there because it was in the old east) aim for Hannover but their city centre is looking pretty drab these days. Braunschweig on the other hand, has a fanastic modern and (right next to it) beautiful old city and a massive promenade right in front of the Alte Schloss

Braunschweig never has never been part of the old East Germany. Might want to get your facts right. And even if, why should anyone be scared now, more than 22 years after reunification? And you consider Hannover as drab? Really? Then you obviously never have been to the town. Have you been to the city lately? Have you ever visited the Herrenhausen Gardens? Seen the Maschsee? Have a look here Kaytie: http://www.visit-hannover.com/en/content/view/full/178

Posted

Of course there are canals in the Harz Mountains. They are part of an almost 1,000 year old drainage system for the equally old mines. They are even an UNESCO world heritage site since 2010. They are just not typical canals to run ships on it.

Oh dear, you really do no know what you are talking about!!!

Let's get this absolutely straight so you don't mislead people into thinking they might see a barge on one of your Harz canals!

There are 1000's KM of WATER CHANNELS in the Harz, not canals!!! There is nothing remotely that looks like a CANAL in the Harz. I know - I lived and worked there for 11 years!

The majority of the old mining water system channels here are actually underground (with a few exceptions and I would glady take you to show you where they are)

There are only two rivers in the Harz by the way, the Oker and the Seiber, neither of which looks like a river or a fucking Canal!!! The biggest vessel you could sail on either would be no bigger than a canoo!!!

I was in Hannover yesterday and the city centre is run-down, drab, lots of empty shops, full of beggars, dirty and generally looking very tired.

I was wrong on Braunschwieg, my appologies

Posted

You do actually read what I am writing, do you? Clearly said that there are no ships or boats to be found on those canals. Canals are - by definition - "man-made channels for water." No mentioning of vessels.

Only two rivers in Harz then? Of course. Why could I be so utterly wrong? Well, may be because I was checking my facts first. Like reading this little snippet from Wikipedia: »The largest rivers in the Harz are the Innerste, the Oker and the Bode in the north; the Wipper in the east; and the Oder in the south. The Innerste merges into the Leine and its tributaries are the Nette and the Grane. The rivers Radau, Ecker and Ilse all discharge into the Oker. The Hassel, the Selke and the Holtemme (whose main tributary is the Zillierbach) flow into the Bode. The Wipper is fed by the Eine. The Rhume is joined by the Söse and the Oder; the latter being fed by the Sieber. The Zorge, the Wieda and the Uffe all flow into the Helme.«

P.S. Might want to check your language, too.

P.P.S. I wonder why you actually go to Hannover if you think it's such a drag? Why not go to 'fantastic' Braunschweig or any other vibrant and wonderful town? Paderborn may be?