Predictions for the future

56 posts in this topic

Posted

Here are a few of my predictions for the future:

• More people will fly into space in 2014 alone than the total number of all previous people to have done so to date (~530 at last count).

• TV license fees will be completely abolished in Germany before 2025 (possibly before 2020).

• 1 BTC to exceed 200 EUR at some point before end of 2013.

• Google+ user count to top 1 billion by the end of 2013.

• Machines to achieve self-awareness, approaching human level, by 2029.

It'll be interesting to come back in a year, or in two decades, and see how things turned out.

Whether TT will still exist two decades from now I've no idea. Probably not in its present form, although hopefully the archives will survive for eternity.

What are your predictions for the medium to long-term future? Anything between 9 months and 40 years from now.

Posted

An obvious one, but self driving cars to be available by 2020. I think self driving cars will change the way everyone gets around massively, to the point that I think very few people will actually own their cars and just order a car on their phone when they need one.

If you count people actually using Google+ and not just the people they have tricked or forced into signing up, then you might be right. Otherwise you will be very wrong. BTC prediction seems more speculation to me, but it could very well happen. Your other predictions don't seem far off.

Posted

The sea level will be somewhat higher, and there will probably be famines and at least one world war.

Posted

Eventually we'll all have a little screen device we can control wirelessly with our minds, connecting to and talking to people in our heads via these devices, with the sound of our voice coming out of the other person's device. This will, however, involve the device (and thus other people) being able to read our thoughts ...

Oh, and proper e-paper that's like actual paper, but a bit tougher.

Posted

Machines to achieve self awareness.

I was a bit shocked to read an article in CAM- an alumni magazine we get sent to encourage us to donate to our Uni - an article "Man vs robot Professor Huw Price argues that artificial intelligence poses a real and existential threat."

quote from Tallinn, one of the founders of Skype "in his pessimistic moments he thought he was more likely to die from an A1 accident that from cancer or heart disease"

Posted

The last CD will be make within the next 5 to 10 years.

DVD's will go the same way. Everything will be digital and downloaded,

Every piece of music, TV show, film , magazine and book ever produced will be available online. Either on a subscription service or pay per use.

Religion will continue to die as information and education continue to advance throughout the world. However we will continue with our current war against freedom of information that governments and religions fearing their loss of influence are waging at the moment. At some point we'll be able to 'download' a brain into a simulation and demonstrate there is no such thing as a soul, which will further destroy the basis for religion.

China will have internal strife. The gap between rich and poor is growing too quickly. Hopefully this doesn't flow over into the rest of the region.

Advances in Neuroscience will lead us to question some of the fundamentals of the criminal justice systems of the world. As we continue to understand how the concept of 'free will' is fundamentally flawed we'll have to change how we deal with crime.

The BBC will admit that Top Gear specials are based on a series of scripts they had for Last Of The Summer Wine but couldn't find a way of filming around Holmfirth.

Posted

and I predict that some things will not change:

I predict that after all is said and done, the 'Soli' will still be in existence in 2050 (along with Germany probably still paying WWII reparations as well).

Posted

I agree DVDs will disappear soon.

Laptops and PCs as we know them will also disappear. Your smartphone will be the key to internet and tv access - and access to everything else as well.

We will just have smartphones. Plus flatscreens, keyboards and tablets that your smartphone connects to via wifi.

What's interesting about futurology is how things change, and yet remain the same.

I doubt that religion will disappear so easily. If anything eg Islam is increasing in influence. So I can't see this suddenly stopping or reversing just because of technology.

I think there's a danger of more and more government control, esp via internet, cloud and smartphones. Data sifting, 24x7 monitoring of the population.

The EU will have more and more power. EU countries may split up into autonomous regions with the EU at the top pyramid in place of the present national governments.

Belarus and Ukraine and the remainder Yugoslav states join EU. Maybe Turkey as well.

Other stuff:

Big rises in food costs due to increasing population in Asia and Africa. Energy price rises due to world oil shortage, high demand and costs of producing green energy.

Ice at the poles continues to melt. Sea levels rise. London, NYC, Netherlands in danger of flooding. Big infrastructure projects to counter this. This give economies a boost.

Then there are the "black swan" events that we can't predict, which may or may not occur, but which can throw our future predictions awry.

Eg major earthquakes in economically crucial areas eg California, Japan, China. Major scale floods. Super-bugs increase, major epidemics wipe out populations in some areas.

Mega-terrorist attacks eg nuclear or bio attack on a large city etc. Danger of Islamist/Middle East/Israel confrontation that sets off shockwaves across the world - oil, currency, terrorism and trade disruption as countries take sides and create blocs of conflict.

Major dollar economic crisis in USA. Dollar no longer a reserve currency for the majority of the world. China takes over as number one economy and strongest currency, EU in second place. US third.

Apart from that, people will still have to work their arses off, corporate bullshit will the same as ever. Political correctness and doublethink will continue to spread and get worse. The GEZ or its nachfolger will still be around.

And the Bitcoin will rise to...

Posted

We only need to watch the Kiddies cartoons of today to see where it will all end up...

Look back 35 yrs when I was a teenie... Officer Dibble had "tracking" equiptment in his police car... plus other stuff

The clangers went to the moon before man did...

Dr Who and blakes 7... well, need I say anymore!?

Posted

self driving cars will change the way everyone gets around massively

Agree, but I think they will be self-driving "smart" cars that will just show up because they know you need them. No call needed.

Posted

You guys can have your self-driving cars, as long as I am not forced to be any part of it! I'll still be driving a stick, no GPS.

Things that won't change: illegal immigrant labor will still be the best and the cheapest. Apple will rule the world. "God" will be part of American political rhetoric. I still won't be on FaceBook.

I agree with many of the other points, especially global food shortages and an impending world war.

Posted

Stopping human aging process: 2050.

I hope I can make it just to see all the financial system to crash because of it. And maybe finally WW3.

Posted

Information is gushing into all corners of the globe. It is accelerating! That is why the extremists are so desperate to stop it and keep their influence. In some corners they are still holding out. But time and word of mouth will circumvent such attempts. Complete isolation is their only chance. They may have to herd villagers into the hills. But for the rest they only have about one generation left to hang on.

* Iran will be interesting to watch in some years time.

Posted

* The next world war will start from the Middle East.

* Bank & credit cards will become obsolete as the "Mark of the Beast" (implanted RFID chips) will become mandatory for all future transactions.

* The earth will "run low" on fossil fuels.

* There will be a major terrorist attack in Europe at a well-known landmark.

Posted

Medications will change, with each med made to order just for you. I think there will be some major, major breakthroughs about diseases and health.

Nano technology seems like something that will burst on the scene and literally change everything. Even the basic stuff like 3-D printers which sound exotic and amazing to us, will become every day objects that we will use to manufacture everything. Perhaps books, clothing, shoes, toys, and what ever else the imagination will come up with.

We will all ride Segways.

Posted

Bank and credit cards becoming obsolete is an easy one.

What about notes and coins? When are they going to disappear.

All we need are smartphone apps for debit and credit.

And ATMs... maybe to kids in the year 2030, the idea of a machine in the outside wall of a bank dispensing "bank notes" will seem as quaint as a cheque book or a landline phone fixed to a cable.

As for a bank branch - what's that? A bank - that means a website and a phone number in India (it practically already does in the UK now).

Posted

I beg to differ about the disappearance of public broadcasting fees.

I cannot see the German government letting itself become 100% dependent on private sector advertising revenue to finance the public broadcasting system.

Posted

I think the US Supreme Court will find Gay Marriage to be a constitutional right.

Pope Francis will come forward and open up the secret Vatican files, as well as apologize for the cover-up the Catholic church has undertaken to protect their priests.

Fidel Castro will die. Obama will remove the sanctions against Cuba and barriers for Americans to visit there.

N. Korea will collapse from hunger.

Posted

BCI (Brain Computer Interface) technology will continue to grow in popularity and presence.

Posted

N. Korea will collapse from hunger.

Nope. Not going to happen. Inevitable collapse, but not from hunger and not for a while.

For this year you say, EdBob? Hmmm...

1) Assad buckles and jumps ship, living in exile in Russia or somewhere. Happens very late in the year.

2) Tsvangirai will win the election and violence will ensue from Zanu-PF thugs. Mugabe will not step down and a year of negotiations and perhaps another election will follow and it will be bloody and the greatest tragedy is that the rest of the world will do nothing. Again.

3) Unemployment and discontent will rise throughout the whole World but nobody will be able to change that and indeed much of the World's population are too passive anyway. The 1% will be richer than ever.

4) Popular Music will continue to get shitter and shitter.

5) Somalia will see more stability after summer and the contested regions of Somaliland and Puntland will too but they will be overlooked and will not gain recognition.

6) West Papua will continue to not exist and its' population will continue to suffer at the hands of militant Indonesians but the international 'community' will regardless blast out rhetoric about the miracle of Indonesia and how much progress it has made (do not forget that Indonesia's economy has been 'Liberalised', read: sold to America) and this is a bad thing and the British Prime Minister would do well to avoid such topics.

7) Support for Scottish Independence will grow.

8) Further rises in fuel costs, both automotive and domestic, in Autumn and there will be no real protest but there should be because it is indeed something of a fascist conspiracy.

9) The price of slaughtered animals for human consumption will likewise increase but this is no fascist conspiracy and is in my view justified anyway and please do not take offence.

Posted

Fireball of global unrest predicted for August 2013

Hunger is the number one reason behind riot.

Researchers have a model that accurately explains why the waves of unrest that swept the world in 2008 and 2011 crashed when they did.

The number one determinant was soaring food prices.

Their model identified a precise threshold for global food prices that, if breached, would lead to worldwide unrest.

The next great breach is predicted for August 2013.

post-16-13639481651046.png

Posted

Looking 12 months ahead seems trickier than longer term.

I fear a big terrorist attack this year.

Privacy issues with the battle between technology like Google glass and people's fears about being captured on film continuing to make no sense as they are being cctved anyway will gather pace.

There will be a major shooting in the USA and nothing will change.

Posted

North Korea will not collapse.

It will be come a Chinese protectorate.