My mum caused minor damage to another car

12 posts in this topic

Posted

My mum yesterday accidentally grazed another car as it was parked so close to her car it was unavoidable. There was a 1cm graze though no dent. She talked to the owner and he was relatively ok and said that as he had other severe scratches, (not in the same panel) not to worry about it. He took her registration number though didn't bother to ask about her insurance details or contact details. After the incident, mum photographed the other car's damage just in case. There's no damage to her car.

Mum just rang in a panic as the bloke turned up at her house and persuaded/barged his way into the house - mums husband was also at home though they are both elderly. . He claims that he phoned the police and they gave him her address. This sounds strange to me. He wanted them to give him money for the repair. She said that surely it's something that could be polished away though he said he didn't want that. They managed to get rid of the bloke as a neighbour turned up though he said he is coming back later or tomorrow. Even though mum only has teilkasko insurance, surely the insurance companies should deal with this. Would the police really give out addresses like this? If mum were to settle privately then surely she would have to have more than one quote for repair. The bloke told her that she would have to pay for the quotes so would only up the cost. We've told her not to talk to him again unless my husband and I are present. Any idea of the best way to handle this situation.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Posted

If there is disagreement, the "official way" is to get an expert opinion about the damage. I had that 3 years ago. My insurance took care of the expert and the damage. Within a year (ca. 8 month after the "deed"), I decided, that I wanted to pay the minor damage myself, in order to keep my discount. This was accepted by the insurance company. I didn't had to pay for the expert.

Your contract may vary though.

Posted

This is covered by her insurance (the "Haftpflicht" bit, which everyone has). She should immediately report it to them in case it escalates, and they will take care of it. The downside is that if they pay out then she will lose part of her no-claims bonus (will go back 3 years), although if the pay-out is under 500€ then she can opt to pay them back to keep her bonus.

If she is admitting guilt, then the guy can get a formal estimate (which may cost money) and she's required to pay the cost (and that of the estimate), even if the damage is not repaired. At least an insurance company should be able to judge the fairness of his claim - her taking photos will certainly help this, as it is important that the estimate reflects only the damage she caused (although the repair she has to pay for may cover up or repair other damage). If there is a dispute over the estimate or the damage then the insurance will call in an independent assessor to judge the claim.

I can't believe the police would volunteer her address, so it is curious how he found her. He could have reported her for leaving the scene of an accident (even though she clearly didn't, although she should have given him her details - not to do so is tantamount to leaving the scene), but then it would become a police case.

She is not obliged to answer the door or even talk to the guy, but she should give him her insurance details and let him address his problems with them. She certainly should not pay any money to him without taking professional advice.

Posted

Get you mum to call the police and have him done for trespass or harassment

Posted

Get you mum to call the police and have him done for trespass or harassment

Attempted fraud!

Posted

we got him to sign a document stating that no monies are due to him in connection to the scratch.

That's equally curious. Why would he do that? He has every right to have her pay for the repair, albeit a fair and justified amount. Did you counter-threaten him?

Posted

Because he must be an idiot.

Posted

Good job! I think the guy was smart to sign that he wouldn't push further, given that you could likely report him for attempted fraud (or whatever the German equivalent is for his stunt). What a wanker.

Posted

No we didn't threaten him. He was very much on the back foot after he'd lied about the police and the 2 garages he supposedly went to this afternoon for quotes. One if the garages belongs to my husbands old school mate so husband suggested he give his mate a quick ring. ,After all that I think the bloke was keen to forget all about it even though my step father offered him 50€ to cover polishing the scratch. We also got him to write that the other significant scratches on his car had nothing to do with my mum. I think it could have all been a lot worse but hopefully sorted

Thanks all for your posts.

Posted

DO NOT GIVE HIM MONEY! if you do, you admit fault and he can sue you. He obviously can't be assed to contact his insurance (maybe doesn't have any). Stand your ground and tell him to contact his insurnace company.

Posted

Erm... have you been asleep since the first post?