Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tree chainsaw massacre

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I am convinced there is some obsession with trimming trees. I understand if they are interfering with power lines or are leaning. These are necessary, but my concern is for the trees that are doing nothing but adding beauty to a garten...

Last fall and this spring I notice that trees are getting trimmed to the point where there are 2 branches left with leaves. Around the office one tree had every major limb trimmed off and it is but a skeleton of a tree and has about 4 leaves left on it. In my garten there was a conifer next to my balcony that needed to be trimmed since the branches were too long and too close (into) the balcony. But instead of trimming the offending branches, the tree "surgeon" just cut the top half of the tree off and now there are stumps where the main branches and trunk were and now the tree is dying. Eventually it will be completely removed and a great privacy tree will be lost...Along Zambonin Str. there is a creek that had a thick wooded edge that provided a great privacy wall and had a great path along the creek. The tree guys came and cleared out all the short trees and trimmed the standing trees so there are skeletons without leaves again. Now there is no natural border and you can see through everything and the buildings on one side can enjoy the view of the other buildings across the creek.

Same thing happened along the canal of Nymphenburger castle...I am not some crazy tree hugger, but why must a tree be trimmed every year to the point where it has only a few leaves? Don't the tree "surgeons" know that a tree can't survive without leaves that provide photosynthesis?

The synical part of me says it is all about contracts and money. If they don't trim SOMETHING, they may not get a contract for another year, job, whatever..

Munich is a beautiful city for its trees and I hate to see and hear chainsaw massacres going on in the neighborhood...

Posted

No worries mate, come spring give it another 6 weeks and it'll all be there again.

When I cut the trees and bushes back I know they'll all be back again soon in full force.

Posted

I regularly trim my trees back in the autumn, although not every year, and although they look dead through the winter, they never fail to grow back stronger than ever.

Posted

1. They have to keep the tree surgeons busy and employed, thus contributing to the economy.

2. Trees are considered "dirty" because they drop leaves in Autumn. They have to be "controlled".

3. The older folk get the more they seek light. Trees are a nuisance. Cut 'em back.

I do not share the above beliefs but I have sure seen them being put into action.

Posted

I can jump in here and tell you that Munich has a very limited Felling/ major work window that takes place between Jan and the end of March.

This is when all major work (unless emergency) must be completed. There can be myriad reasons for this, disease/decay, heavy lean, traffic infractions or risk to public places/walkways /school entrances/playgrounds etc. I would also say that Munich has the most conscientous tree policy of nearly any city in Europe. Compared to London for example, where the work is all about limiting the Boroughs insurance payouts. I would suggest that before complaining, you find out why this work is happening, as I can assure you, there is always a reason. Many people look out of the window, see work happening, and simply always jump to the most negative possible conclusion.

Posted

When you cut plants back really far that can actually lead to greater growth - pollarding and coppicing, for example. And leaving branches on isn't always good for trees, either. A few years back we got someone in to deal with our walnut tree, and they hardly cut anything. Four years on and several branches have been brought down in a storm, ripping off rather than being cut off neatly. We have now got someone else in to do a more thorough job. The tree has no leaves on it now, as it is the winter and it's a deciduous tree :-)

Posted

It's called pruning and if you want to get decent growth you have to do it, otherwise they grow straggly.Time to prune my grape vine and apple trees soon.

Jeremy, what grapes have you managed to cultivate in these parts? I have been trying the last couple years with no real luck :(

PES (just around the corner from you)

Posted

Ah, I have an interesting story to tell here. About 6 years ago we drove up to Baumschule Brenninger with a friend of ours who lives just next to you in Wolfratshausen. We both bought "Blauer Muskateller" and planted it about a metre tall in our gardens. Her plant remained somewhat scrawny while mine exploded and took off! I get 10 kgs of grapes in autumn which I ferment to make about 5 litres of red wine which people have said is very drinkable!

Posted

Its the germany equivalent of "keeping the bush trimmed"

Posted

Ah, I have an interesting story to tell here. About 6 years ago we drove up to Baumschule Brenninger with a friend of ours who lives just next to you in Wolfratshausen. We both bought "Blauer Muskateller" and planted it about a metre tall in our gardens. Her plant remained somewhat scrawny while mine exploded and took off! I get 10 kgs of grapes in autumn which I ferment to make about 5 litres of red wine which people have said is very drinkable!

Off to there on Monday! Thanks. Next question: have you tried cultivating a Bavarian Fig Violetta. Two have died on me, although they can take up to -20c.

Posted

On our street they recently felled 8 mature trees, including the one that used to tower over our 4th floor balcony. I still haven't been able to fathom the reason why. Street looks very different now.

Posted

Its not only what you see above ground!

Roots can cause so many different problems...

Posted

In case it of an interest to anyone, I ended up ordering a couple Blauer Muskateller and a Bavarian Fig Violetta last night over the net.

I have no time to drive about, but when they arrive I will plant them, water them, pray for them, and care for them. :D

Posted

On our street they recently felled 8 mature trees, including the one that used to tower over our 4th floor balcony. I still haven't been able to fathom the reason why. Street looks very different now.

They have over the last few years felled quite a few trees in our street. They always looked healthy to me, but it seems they are on to something, because a few days ago this happened on the cross street from our house.

Posted

As SP said, it's also underground.

My parents just had five birches cut down because they had wreaked havoc with the pipes underground.

Also often trees are not visibly sick. Our neighbour had 4 HUGE birches taken down last year. Later looking at the cross section of the trunks you could easily tell there was maybe 50% left.

Not everyone is a tree hater for have trees cut down. Get over it.

Posted

Off to there on Monday! Thanks. Next question: have you tried cultivating a Bavarian Fig Violetta. Two have died on me, although they can take up to -20c.

Well done! But be warned, my friend in Wolfratshausen did have a fail with her grape. But then it does lie quite low.

In case it of an interest to anyone, I ended up ordering a couple Blauer Muskateller and a Bavarian Fig Violetta last night over the net.

I have no time to drive about, but when they arrive I will plant them, water them, pray for them, and care for them.

Good luck!

Last spring I was approached about two huge willows in my garden by a very nice lady in the Church. They were, I think, planted to provide willow catkins ("Palmkätzchen") for the church services. I naively thought she would take an armful, but after a while there was a pile of these "Kätzchen" on the floor, and it was growing.

Pretty soon the pile was about a metre tall and she told me she'd fetch a trailer and two helpers to fetch them.

The final result was six metre stump of a tree bare of branches. In the end I had to "pollard" the tree to about 3 metres high. The branches grew beautifully from there and now this spring we have brand new growth from the tree. i was happy because the Kätzchen were sold for Easter to help Argentinian poor ones. It also killed another bird with a stone because my German neighbour wanted me to cut back this tree because German birds kept perching in my tree and shitting on his German car.

This spring, she rang again....about the OTHER tree! Argh! :)

Posted

Ah, I have an interesting story to tell here. About 6 years ago we drove up to Baumschule Brenninger

Why do we send children to a Kindergarten, but grow trees in a Baumschule?