Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Free Trade Deal with the EU and US

6 posts in this topic

Posted

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/06/quest-us-eu-trade-deal-not-in-our-lifetime/

Apparently this guy would like to have a free trade agreement with the EU. However with the way I see Germany controls things here with Tüv and laws for everything under the sun I don't see this happening.

Posted

Why do you think TüV would be a problem? I know a German who guy worked for UL in the US (Underwriters Laboratories) and he said that US product safety regulations are more stringent than in Germany because of one single thing: lawsuits. Cars also go under strict safety rules and crash tests by the NHSTA which is the main reason why not all European cars are sold there. The costs are phenomenal for getting a car approved for import into the US. Now if you are talking about once a car is registered and the lax annual or bi-yearly car inspections in some US states compared to the rigorous German TüV inspection, that has nothing to do with free trade.

Posted

IMO nothing stands in the way of a free-trade deal on manufactured products. But Europeans are adamantly against GM crops and aren't fond of the U.S. tendency to inject their cattle with growth hormones, either. So agriculture will be a huge sticking point.

Posted

Good point. The only thing standing in the way of manufactured products are tariffs.

Posted

The US can keep their frankenfood. GMO is destroying the food supply and the ecosystem...Thankfully, most EU countries are too smart for the sales and marketing of monsanto...With gmo salmon soon to also be approved by the FDA as well as aspartame in milk and agent orange used on corn, one can only hope that food is left out of the agreement..At least they label it here...

Posted

It looks like EU companies and governments are more active promoting this FTA than American ones. I think the US companies who are successful in Europe don't feel the need to push for this because they are already in the market, and no one wants a fight about GMOS. It will be interesting to see how this develops!