Lost/stolen, Tiffany Novo platinum ring

36 posts in this topic

Posted

All,

I just want to get the word out in the vain hope that I find my partners Engagement Ring.

Its a Platinum Tiffany Novo Diamond ring. The last 3 digits of the serial number are 353 and has an inscription of J&K 2010. Its a very unique ring and my partner is devastated at its loss (as am I).

She last wore it Sunday night and removed it before bed. Monday morning, new cleaner arrives (only been once) and starts in the bathroom - things were a little chaotic as we were getting our 2 year old ready for nursery.

We've not seen the ring since (we're asking some stores that my partner visited to see if they have CCTV that could show her hand to see if she's wearing it). We've asked the cleaner and she says she's been cleaning for 13 years and never has had a problem. We obviously have NO proof of her doing this, nor do we want to disbelieve her. Issue is that Ive looked her up on Facebook and while I don't want to be judgmental, she has very expensive taste for Page Likes for someone who gets paid 11 euro an hour. I don't want to accuse her as I have no proof, but this is too much of a coincidence. She has a child, so I don't want to go to the police. We have a copy of her ID Card.

We've torn our apartment apart, with no luck. The ring is too tight to fall off, so cannot be that.

I dont know what to do in this situation - I want to believe in people, but Im finding this really hard.

What would you do?

Posted

Do you have household insurance and have you declared the ring on that? Are you covered by any insurance at all? You may have to do a police report anyway (against unnamed persons).

Hope you find it.

Posted

Insurance covers theft, not loss. We're going to report it to the police with our suspicions I think. First we're going to see if she replaces the ring with the offer of a reward if she finds it next time she cleans (next monday). Im at a loss, really.

Posted

That sucks. Are you hiring the cleaner legally? I'd find it very annoying if on top of losing the ring I'd have to deal with whatever-amt is responsible for suing people who engage in schwarzarbeit, if they get hold of the story from the police. Just something to think about/clarify if you decide to complain to the police.

Posted

She's paid cash. No contract. So Ive got to deal with that too maybe, ffs?! You are kidding me!

Posted

Try checking in the u-bend of the sink and the vacuum cleaner bag as well.

Posted

All sink U Bends checked (gross). Hoover is a Dyson, so that's been checked too. Also the bins (again, gross).

Just gutted.

Posted

yep, if you are employing her illegally, you will open up quite a large can of worms for yourself by going to the police about it; and any insurance you have would also not pay out:

http://www.zdf.de/Volle-Kanne/Wenn-Putzhilfen-schwarz-arbeiten-23304174.html

(hope she's not living in Germany illegally; seems you then may be liable for her trip "home").

Posted

Then you're engaging in an illegal activity. I'm not trying to be judgmental, most people with a cleaner are, but I'd check the potential consequences before issuing the complaint.

Posted

every man and his dog get cleaners this way. It was only the second time, so consequence may be a lot less than the "loss" of the ring

Posted

i always try to see the good in people...but maybe see if you can actually contact folks she's worked for over the past 13 years. it could be she realized you would realize the fact you had hired her illegally would provide her cover enough to justify the risk of taking such a tempting piece.

good luck getting it back...i hope it turns up in a nappy bin or some such (just continuing on your list of gross places to look).

Posted

every man and his dog get cleaners this way. It was only the second time, so consequence may be a lot less than the "loss" of the ring

Can you read German? From ruapehu's link:

Schließlich wird Schwarzarbeit auch dann zum Problem, wenn sich herausstellt, dass die Putzhilfe mitsamt Hausschlüssel, Schmuck, Computern oder sonstigen Wertgegenständen verschwunden ist. Ein Arbeitgeber, der damit zur Polizei geht, kann sich dann gleich mit anzeigen. Werden Ausländer illegal beschäftigt, so müssen die Auftraggeber sogar die Abschiebekosten tragen. Das können schnell mehrere Tausend Euro werden.

But it's your decision. Sorry that you and your fiancee are in this situation, and I'm probably getting too German for always remembering the legal side of a problem, anyway..

Posted

She hasn't disappeared, just the ring. She's been in contact a few times since and is due back next week. I can register her via my accountant can't I?

Posted

She even gave up her ID information - this is what makes me feel bad even pointing the finger.

Posted

She hasn't disappeared, just the ring. She's been in contact a few times since and is due back next week. I can register her via my accountant can't I?

Same paragraph, this time in English:

Finally, illegal employment is also a problem, when jewelry (among others) is stolen. An employer who goes to the police will give himself immediately away. If the worker is illegal, it may be deported, and even those costs are overtaken by the employer. That can easily lead to a total bill of several thousand euros.

Regarding registering her, since she didn't sign a contract before starting and the relevant authorities haven't been informed, I presume it's too late now.

edit: damnit, gave ruapehu a red mark. I meant green, green!

Posted

Wasnt there another thread on this many years ago...

Some cash went missing after the cleaner was there...

You shou find the OP and compare Notes...

Posted

Insurance covers theft, not loss.

Very few (if any) German insurances cover simple theft, only burglary or aggravated theft where there is some form of forced entry or coercion.

Posted

Issue is that Ive looked her up on Facebook and while I don't want to be judgmental, she has very expensive taste for Page Likes for someone who gets paid 11 euro an hour.

You do know that you don't have to pay for those, right? "Judgmental" isn't the word I would have used for what you are being with that statement.

Posted

Wait... so YOU're breaking the law, and perhaps taking advantage of someone with less power than yourself (whether the worker is here illegally, isn't highly educated, or whatever the case may be) by not hiring legally and being responsible for whatever that would have required-- and then with ZERO evidence beyond your denigrating remark that someone who doesn't make a lot of money isn't allowed to want nice or expensive things you're just assuming your cleaner took your stuff?

So far all I have is this: Privileged person breaking law is accusing underprivileged person who has shown no evidence of breaking the law... of breaking the law.

Yes, you should feel bad about making that accusation. I hope you find the ring. But I hope you also reevaluate a few things afterward.

Posted

At least you don't know whom to blame.

My then-future-ex threw away the ring he had given me after our son was born when he wiped down the kitchen surfaces with paper towels after I had given Boykins a bath. TFE said that it was my fault for putting the ring on the counter in the first place.

If you don't have proof that the cleaner did it, and if she is willing to return and keep cleaning for you, I would be very careful about any accusations. Yes, you can get in trouble for employing her illegally. And she can get in trouble for being employed illegally. That's a big risk for her to take, and not really worth stealing a ring that she cannot easily resell.

Report the loss/theft to the police and ask if the data in the ring will be broadcast to jewelers and pawnbrokers. That way you may be able to recover it if someone actually tries to hawk it.