Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Germany calls on Italy's 'sense of responsibilty'

51 posts in this topic

Posted

Germany's leaders said over the weekend they were confident that Italian politicians would act responsibly and continue structural reforms following an inconclusive election last week.

After meeting with Italian President Giorgio Napolitano on Friday, Chancellor Angela Merkel expressed confidence in Italian politicians' "sense of responsibility," her spokesman said.

Echoing this, Germany's Economy Minister and Vice Chancellor Philipp Rösler on Saturday urged Italians to stay the course laid out by the outgoing government under Mario Monti.

"Italy, as a major European economy, has a great responsibility. There is no alternative to the policy of structural reforms," he told German weekly Focus. "I'm confident that those responsible in Italy recognize the importance of (preserving) stability."

Click to read the full article.

post-46630-1362298680000.jpg

Posted

F..k you Merkel! Your days are over, you are like Hitler in the Berlin's bunker...

Posted

If you hate it here so much, why don't you go back to Italy. You know, since it's so wonderful there?

Posted

"Italy's sense of responsibility" == "preserving German politicians' ability to avoid making decisions" + "demand for Italian politicians to ignore their electorate/subvert democracy"

Posted

If you hate it here so much, why don't you go back to Italy. You know, since it's so wonderful there?

Silly comment really and this can be applied to any nationality.

It's not about hating the country where you live, it's about not being treated as doormats while you're abroad. As you can see on this boards, racists are quick to pick up a country's government mistakes to demote their citizens.

Posted

My german is not that good but allow me to translate what Frau Merkel said: "Hey fellow italian politicians, do something! This crazy guy wants to mess up with the current bank/financial/mafioso system. Do something now or you forgot that Deutsche Bank has a huge debt and DB is the main financial supporter of my party?!

So move your fat, corrupted asses and neutralize this (other) comedian!"

Posted

Does it really matter what the clowns in Italy or the clowns on TT or for that matter the clowns in Berlin say? Some are polite and some others are not. All say something we don't like to hear.Maybe you need to listen to Nobel prize winners to get a closer viewpoint.

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/listening-to-european-voters--rejection-of-austerity-by-joseph-e--stiglitz

Posted

F..k you Merkel! Your days are over, you are like Hitler in the Berlin's bunker...

I'm surprised this site has managed to get the attention of Berlusconi's propaganda team. I'm sadly less surprised that some fuckwit is screaming his hatred at the country which will be paying for his country's ignorance, stupidity, and general irresponsibility. You may have heard of this country: it's the one where people ignored seismologists and let a big chunk of Pompeii be destroyed, then got pissed off and threatened to jail seismologists because their next round of predictions weren't tabloidish enough.

So why exactly are you living in a country you hate so much?

woof.

Posted

Hold on, I see many rants here about Germany, the Germans and life in Germany, but when the rant comes from some South European country then it's not tolerated. So, it's double standards then.

I don't agree with the tone of the poster but it's a fact many people had to relocate because their country's (unelected and technocratic) government has adopted a policy of austerity dictated by Berlin. I don't think that Merkel is a nazi (and actually I think she's doing a good job of fending off the extreme right wing in her own party) but she's been pursuing an interventionist agenda for the last four years.

Both here and in real life, I won't let anybody treat me like a toilet because of my nationality.

Posted

I just think German politicians should stop messing with our electoral stuff, they just obtain a bad rep among the italian population and absolutely zero additional negotiation power with whoever will be the next prime minister.

Posted

Internet trolls are a new breed of scumbag.

Posted

Hold on, I see many rants here about Germany, the Germans and life in Germany, but when the rant comes from some South European country then it's not tolerated.

I think your spell-checker missed "non-politically-motivated rants from native English-speaking people whose home contries' economies aren't dependent on Herr Germany Our Saviour". Tools > Options > Spelling > Language > Dictionaries

I don't agree with the tone of the poster but it's a fact many people had to relocate because their country's (unelected and technocratic) government has adopted a policy of austerity dictated by Berlin.

Waaaaaaay too much stupid here to bat down with a single page-long sentence.

You "don't agree with the tone of the poster" but you agree with his sentiments, namely that Germany should pay for Italy being an idiot.

You channel this site's very own special village idiot by writing "it's a fact" when it is no such thing other than your blitherings.

You admit that you and other "people had to relocate", because shit is SO bad back home that being a forinjer is the better option, but you also think that the country which accepted your forinjer ass now needs to placate you.

You claim that Germany -- that awful country (the one you was fer before you was agin before you was fer agin) is making demands that your country stop wasting money on shit you don't need that your people don't need and won't use. Just like our complaints about places like Greece and their fucking waving-our-dicks-at-Turkey battleships they couldn't afford. When the grown-ups are paying for the party, the children have to accept that maybe the "energy drink" served at your unnecessary keep-me-up-all-hours party will be the shitty Metro-brand version and not blue-and-silver Red Bull.

I will tl;dr/EILI5 for you: Our money, our rules. Don't like it, fuck off and pay for your own fucking party.

woof.

Posted

For the n-th time, the italian economy HAS NEVER BEEN dependent on the German national state for monetary support since the inception of the Euro. NEVER. This is an implicit claim made by German politicians in order to leverage their political position in an EU setting, but it's supported by zero facts. Even Monti, the meekest politician ever, has tried more than once to straighten up this fact in the EU setting.

Posted

What the medias say, all over Europe, and what a politician in charge has said is a different story. So which german politician in charge has said what you claim and when, FDG?

And when it comes to inapropriate remarks of Mr. Steinbrück--- he is free to say what he thinks. Just like son many others who bitch on Mrs Merkel I(not my friend BTW)

Posted

@FDG

So all this pressure for Euro-Bonds, the wish to distribute the credit risk to other countries, that never really happened?

Posted

Distributing credit risk to other countries is only fair, if those risks were imposed by a particular joint monetary policy that favours other parties.

Posted

@FDG

So all this pressure for Euro-Bonds, the wish to distribute the credit risk to other countries, that never really happened?

So? Euro Bonds are not there and are unlikely to be realized in the near-to-mid future, and German banks are those that have actually received the largest help(since they invested so much in Spain and Greece). So far, no money has been given to Italy, this is the reality.

Posted

You admit that you and other "people had to relocate", because shit is SO bad back home that being a forinjer is the better option, but you also think that the country which accepted your forinjer ass now needs to placate you.

But all of this could have been avoided with a better joint fiscal and monetary policy, whose principal opposition exists in Germany. Consequently, Eurozone economic refugees coming to Germany are merely claiming their due compensation.

Posted

So? Euro Bonds are not there and are unlikely to be realized in the near-to-mid future, and German banks are those that have actually received the largest help(since they invested so much in Spain and Greece). So far, no money has been given to Italy, this is the reality.

And it should stay that way. Italy is wealthy enough to care for her own debts. According to Spiegel online, the median for personal assets in Italy is around 164k Euros, in Germany around 76k Euros. This means, the average Italian (sorry, the median Italian) is twice as wealthy as the average German. There would be no justification to keep the assets and distribute the risk.

Posted

Is that adjusted for purchasing power, etc? A lot of those statistics hide a larger story.

Posted

For the n-th time, the italian economy HAS NEVER BEEN dependent on the German national state for monetary support since the inception of the Euro.

Who made the Euro?

Who backs the Euro?

Who is Italy's largest trade partner?

Who is Italy's largest national consumer?

Who is the sole guarantor of Italy's recklessness with their Euros`?

And before you tell me how France is a close number 2, France is neither a PIIGS nation nor is it losing a lot of sleep over Italy's collapse back into the fiefdoms from whence it came.

Yeah, I noticed your "since the inception of the euro" qualification and I'm not letting you off with that one, either. Much of Italy's malfeasance is easily hidden by the euro. That and the majority of exports being shady banks and energy which isn't paying it's back-end costs (like CO2 emission and power plant decommissioning).

But if I'm mistaken and I really should be singing songs about Bella Italia, bring it on! I like learning new things. And maybe there's something I haven't learned about Italy despite seeing how its youth and adults alike act as "ambassadors of their country" around the end of September. Or any other fucking time of the year, really.

woof.

Posted

Is that adjusted for purchasing power, etc? A lot of those statistics hide a larger story.

Why would you want adjust for purchasing power? We also don't adjust for owning a house versus needing to rent. A lot more Italians own houses than Germans do. Given the same income, those owning a house in second generation have a lot more purchasing power since they don't need to rent.

Posted

Why would you want adjust for purchasing power? We also don't adjust for owning a house versus needing to rent. A lot more Italians own houses than Germans do. Given the same income, those owning a house in second generation have a lot more purchasing power since they don't need to rent.

You certainly should adjust for it. Your logic makes no sense to me. "Those owning a house in the second generation" only "have a lot more purchasing power" in the sense of quality-of-life if the other aspects of cost of living aren't significantly higher, if wages aren't significantly lower, if the house isn't underwater for credit to compensate for the previous two items, etc, etc. That is why people talk about purchasing-power adjusted wages. You can have a servant/housekeeper in India on a lower-middle-class US salary, or used to be able to, at least, but the American is not living in India and making those wages.

THEN there is the question of the policy that made consumption more difficult in Germany and its effect on the rest of the Eurozone, the moralizing on display by certain participants here about spending and producing, etc, etc.

Posted

1,6 bln per years.

That is the cost for the italien parliament, the salaries etc. Starting at € 16.000 per month, italien deputies are the best paid in Europe. And the sum of 1.6 bln € per years is more than the german, british french and spanish parliament spents.

You can turn it either way you want and as long as you want: The crisis in several EU-states have little to do with the introduction of the Euro, at least not in the first line. The crisis is the result of irresponsiblity in controlling the public spending and the incapacity to collect the due taxes, plus consequently closing the eyes on unsound developments like in Spain, where everybody (down to the people in the street) knew that private spending via credit card plus the indebtment of a whole population for the aquisition of a house or flat is a game at high risk. Of course the politician in charge, like in Ireland, didn't dare to mention this, instead claimed that the booming econmoy is based on their wise decision and sound knowledge of how to run a country . Now all broke down, and they, exactly the same , claim to know who's fault all is. Scapegoats Germany, scapegoat Euro. And people believe the politicians and the media, and the wise guys called "economists", those who were unable to see the subprime crisis coming, but claim to be able to see the "basic problems" of the european currency. BTW why the heck is the country which is doing the worst in all of this not even a member of that eurozone?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0