Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

US Citizen foreign tax reporting

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Good morning Toytown friends,

So being a US citizen living, working and paying taxes in Germany. I know I am required by law to report/ file US taxes on my worldwide income each year exceeding amounts of $9750 at the time of pay. So my situation is that for the most part of the 2012, I worked a mini job earning €370 and month which is tax free. Then, fourth quarter of 2012 began a full time job. So being that mini jobs are tax free for employee and not reported on German tax filings. An I required to report the mini job earnings to the US? With my full time job starting late 2012 I had not exceeded the $9750 mark excluding the mini job.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Posted

You are required to report ALL income to the US. Whether or not your are taxed in Germany is besides the point. The first $9750 earned is not taxed. If you are considered either a Bona fide or permanent resident, you can take the FEIE credit which goes up to $95,100 for 2012, so you don't need to worry about having to pay taxes to the US, if your foreign income is less than that amount.

Kris

Posted

I have a similar question. In my case, I'm a dual citizen to Germany and the USA. Do I have to report to the US what I earn as a German? I was hired as a German citizen and they don't even know I'm also American, so what do I do? Do I only have to report it if I was hired as an American with my American passport and data used?

Posted

Do I have to report to the US what I earn as a German?

Counter question: Are you still the same person?

Answer: Yes.

--> You have to report all your income to the US, having dual citizenship is not a "get out of jail" card for your responsibilities towards your other country.

Kind of reminds me of all the questions male dual citizens had back when military duty was still obligatory in Germany: they weren't too thrilled either to have to acknowledge that it meant doing military duty in both their countries.

Dual citizenship means that you have all the duties of both countries, you don't get to pick and choose.

Posted

I have a similar question. In my case, I'm a dual citizen to Germany and the USA. Do I have to report to the US what I earn as a German? I was hired as a German citizen and they don't even know I'm also American, so what do I do? Do I only have to report it if I was hired as an American with my American passport and data used?

The US and Germany exchange tax information, so you definitely don't want to avoid reporting income earned here, and, furthermore, given the income tax exclusion, it doesn't make any sense not to report it.