German Flag Patch

60 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys,

To celebrate the upcoming arrival of the spring, I bought a jacket from an army supply shop. It's cheap, I like the color, it fits well with my black hoodie, and I forgot mine back home.

The one I bought has two little German flags stitched on both arms. While this is fairly common in other countries (well, at least in Montreal, it's normal to find German army jackets), I was wondering if it was frown upon here. I personally don't mind them, but if it's seen as a kind of neo nazi thing, I'd prefer to unstitch them.

Anybody knows? Thanks!

Posted

Depends on the year: If it is a 1942 model I´d suggest to unstich...

Posted

Haha no, it's just a plain olive jacket with the current flag ;)

Something like that for example:

post-110804-1362241375013.jpg

Posted

I do not see a problem leaving them on... Really.

Cheers

Franklan

Posted

Depends on the year: If it is a 1942 model I´d suggest to unstich...

Why only 1942? I'd have thought a fair number of insignia used on many a German uniform dating from 1935 to 1945 would be unwelcome nowadays.

Posted

I guess that depends on the company you choose.

Posted

True, but even then my question remains: why only 1942?

Posted

It is illegal to wear nazi insignia in Germany. The flags were black,white, red. Today's German colours are yellow, red, black, Just learn German so you can answer when asked.

Posted

I think the '1942' was just meant as an example.

Posted

I guess you bought a Feldjacke. The one in your picture is a normal Bundeswehrhemd, and there is no special connection to Nazis (they wear brands like those listed here )

I'd unstitch them anyway, though.

Posted

What´s the fuss? I remembered this story the other week and found it again!!!

Cubans love the Union Jack! It´s fashion and youth...why not?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-21082793

I used to sport Che Guevara T-shirts in my y :D outh...

Posted

I know there's no connection to the nazis, but I thought maybe it was not so common for civilians to wear this kind of jacket here as it is in Canada, for example. And that maybe only nationalist groups wore that and that people associated it with them. I just wanted to make sure you know, better safe than sorry ;)

I think I will unstitch them anyway, yes. Or just keep one of the two, and put a Quebec flag on the other side ;)

Posted

I have one, and I know a lot of people who wear them, mostly metalheads.

Posted

it's the german flag FFS not the feckin schwastika

I know! But I'm not talking about having a German flag on your backpack, I mean having a German flag on each arm of an army jacket. I thought it *could* be seen different, so I asked!

Sometimes people associate things with specific groups even though it's not always accurate.

Posted

To be honest if you are the sort of person who is considerate enough of other cultures to be aware that it might be a problem, it probably isn't a problem.

I see shirts like that all over the place and no-one bothers. I wouldn't wear one to a job interview, or to work in a bank, but for walking through town on a Saturday night, not a big deal.

Posted

how old are you? 6 ?

*sigh* I simply asked a question on a message board. I know the flag has been a sensitive issue in Germany even recently, like during the 2006 World Cup, so I thought I'd ask about it, out of respect. I'm not making a big deal out of it.

To be honest if you are the sort of person who is considerate enough of other cultures to be aware that it might be a problem, it probably isn't a problem.

I see shirts like that all over the place and no-one bothers. I wouldn't wear one to a job interview, or to work in a bank, but for walking through town on a Saturday night, not a big deal.

Yeah I wouldn't either! Thanks for you input.

Posted

It's just fine. Those Army jackets always have them. I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Wear and enjoy