The Man with the Hat -- and no fingerprints

8 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.rnz.de/HPHeadtitles_Region/00_20130301083000_103540202_Nach_Aktenzeichen_XY_Der_heisse_Tipp_war_nicht.php

This took place in a neighbouring village to where I live, as well as in Landkreis Schwäbisch Hall; a very polite, older man in green felt hat robs a couple of small banks, successfully.

It's really weird, and sets all my sleuthing instincts on red alert.

Weirdest of all is that he left no fingerprints, although he wasn't wearing gloves. Also, the tips of his fingers were red.

He was extremely polite, even asking his victims if he was hurting them even as he taped them down with duct tape.

His car has a MOS numberplate, which means he is from my Landkreis.

Maybe he was wearing transparent sanitary gloves? Any ideas? I want to find him. Please give me some tips.

I also bank at a small Volksbank branch, his preferred bank. His MO is to be waiting there at opening hours. Maybe I should hang around the bank every morning? Watch from across the road? Or will he now go further afield? ;)

It's strange that no-one seems to know the guy. He is very distinctive, even if they had to use a Phantombild.

Posted

Very mysterious! It says he wasn't wearing gloves, and he had shaken hands with the victims. Perhaps he had done something like this to his fingertips (ugh!). His description (around 50, greying hair, bald, etc.) seems fairly ... well... nondescript.

Good luck with the sleuthing!

Posted

Red? Fingernail polish?

Posted

Short of removing the ridges with acid he may have let molten wax dry over his fingertips.

Or he took the Men in Black approach.

Posted

If he's really really old, fingerprints fade over time. My grandad needed his taken for a new passport at age 95 and they couldn't get any.

Edit: having read the actual article now, he's not old enough for that. However, red fingertips... my guess is "tree paint", the stuff tree surgeons put on the wounds they leave after taking major branches off trees. I used the stuff way back when to stop my fingers bleeding playing the bass.

Posted

He looks like every other old guy around here to me. But hey, they all look the same anyway. ;)

Posted

His car has a MOS numberplate, which means he is from my Landkreis.

False number plates are not unheard of - even for "lesser offences" (like some Tankstellendiebe that the local fuzz chased around here).

Posted

I know some medicines can take off finger prints- especially ones for chemotherapy. Maybe he's a cancer patient? There was an article in the paper a while ago about a man trying to go through customs and they gave him a tough time because he didn't have finger prints. Man with no finger prints