Do they want to see your actual diploma?

63 posts in this topic

Posted

I really want a reassuring answer to this, but I won't be surprised not to get one:

I haven't actually finished my thesis, so I haven't obtained my master's degree. It was due by August of last year, so now it's on me to finish and submit.

I've never been asked for the actual degree (I actually started this in 2007, but had to take a break when I had to go back home to the US because I ran out of money). Until now, I've always listed the job as "thesis pending", (even though until last year, I had courses missing too), but I was never even asked about my bachelor's diploma. Not in the US, and not in the Netherlands.

I really just want to say I've finished (while I work on my thesis). If they end up asking for the diploma at some point, I figure I'd stop pursuing the job. But, I'm worried that EVERY job will require the diploma be shown.

If I choose to say the thesis is pending, I won't be called for a lot of the jobs (even if they don't require a master's degree), unless I say I began studying last year, and will finish this year.

I know this is all convoluted, but hopefully you get my point.

Anyone does this?

Posted

Also if anyone finds out that you lied about already having a Master's, you could VERY well find it hard to find other jobs in the future. Submit your thesis, or don't lie about having done so.

Posted

Why not just say you're a master's candidate that won't be lying and then elaborate more on the status in the interview?

Posted

The reason why is that the OP realizes that "master's candidate" is not really a status, since Master's is too short a degree, typically, to be considered worth much if you haven't finished it. PhD candidate is somewhat better if you're in a place where candidacy requires a lot of study and exams.

Posted

Yes they will probably ask for it. When I was hired my employeers asked for my Highschool, bachelors, and masters diplomas to be officially translated and submitted before they gave me a contract. Then they gave me a tough time for not having my high school diploma shipped from the US and just bringing a scan of it. It was the same for my Husband, but we had his HS diploma shipped over and they made a joke that he was a serious fellow for going through the trouble of translating it(I guess different companies have different ideas about how this). Your pay level depends on your education level, therefore, if they are going to have to give you more money for holding a degree, they want to make sure you actually have said degree. My advice, keep it as thesis pending or thesis submitted or whatever.

Posted

Don't do it! (Not that I care ). This is Germany and in my case I was usually not ever asked up front for the matching papers to my CV but at a later date to get my HR file "up to date" which sometimes meant 6 Months or longer.

Posted

When I was negotiating the salary for my new job (which I start on Monday), I was asked to send them a copy of my medical school diploma. I was asking for more than they were offering and I guess the german office had to justify my salary demand to the head office in the U.S (which apparently makes the final decision regarding salaries).

So, in answer to your question: Yes, they do.

Posted

@Sneffels, thank you for posting a link to the Criminal Code in English. This is very helpful!

Posted

I've also never been asked for my actual diploma, although I have one. In my family I know of at least 3 people who even write professional titles next to their names, but have never obtained an actual degree, so those have gone uncaught for decades...

Posted

I had to submit my diploma when seeking a specialized professional certificate from a german institute. They wanted in addition to my professional license, which I thought strange as my professional license is a lot more meaningful.

Do not misrepresent your credentials - it will catch up with you eventually, and the damage will be great.

Posted

Yeah no, do not do that. You might want to write "pending in 3 months" or w/e, and put your GPA and thesis title.

Posted

There was a case a few years ago of a medical student who failed her Physicum (ist medical exam ) three times, so she wasn't allowed to carry on. She then forged it, passed the rest of her course and went on to be a good doctor, until her employer asked her for the original. She got into big trouble, although she did get some sympathy, too.

Posted

If its for a Visa, then probably they want to see it, otherwise usually a scan will be enough depending on the company.

Lying about academic achievement here is quite common I suspect, as is exaggerating them so its common to see Linkedin profiles with every exchange semester (usually with no exams) from University listed in a way that makes it look like a full course. Similarly I know at least one Dip Ing. who doesn't put FH (polytechnic for Brits, IE less prestigious than a real Uni) next to it (technically this is illegal, since its lying about a qualification).

Posted

Somehow I guess we are missing some of the story, but here are my best sugestions.

1. lock yourself in a room with candy bars, coffie, and no-doze and

finish the silly thing.

2. Buy it online (master's and get a PHD for half price)

3. Pay some geek to write it for you.

4. leave it off your resume for jobs that do not need it

5. make a degree your self, interesting project with a nice seal

Master's are rarely needed except for maybe an MBA or some cool

research job, although it can affect starting pay.

If you write it you can say you completed it.

You can always say you expect completion in June 2013. So what if if takes

til 2016. Above all do not lie, marketing yourself is OK and somewhat

expected. Some strange questions really have no answer.

Posted

Above all do not lie, marketing yourself is OK and somewhat expected.

Which brings us back to this one (shamelessly stolen from a much earlier thread):

post-10876-13622242254397_thumb.jpg

Posted

I have a PhD and not only did they want the PhD diploma and transcript as well as Bachelor's and Master's, they wanted "evidence of having passed the Abitur". When I told them that I never got an Abitur on account of not being German, they requested my highschool diploma AND TRANSCRIPT, the latter of which could not have been more meaningless to them. I was glad for once that I am a huge packrat when it comes to files and documentation.

Posted

Never had to show my credentials to Get my job, but a few weeks after starting they wanted everything - PhD, MSc, BA (I understood why they wanted all that, alhough to my mind only PhD was relevant)

Did you have a publication record that they could easily look up?

I was actually once asked to submit my high school transcripts, despite the fact that I had included copies of both my Bachelor's and Master's degrees with my application. I don't know where my high school transcripts are (and I told them that) and I am not sure whether that was the reason that I didn't even ended up getting an interview for the position...

Posted

Yes, I have a publication record. Although the Germans seem very confused that I keep my maiden name for science (otherwise I would have two half publication records, which would be dense) - the university here actually told me I don't exist :D

Good job no-one asked me for a high school diploma or transcripts - guess the UK just doesn't do this! I think my parents have a massive sheaf of GSCE and A level certificates somewhere, though. Unless they were destroyed when my parents were flooded...

Posted

Somehow I guess we are missing some of the story, but here are my best sugestions.

1. lock yourself in a room with candy bars, coffie, and no-doze and

finish the silly thing.

2. Buy it online (master's and get a PHD for half price)

3. Pay some geek to write it for you.

4. leave it off your resume for jobs that do not need it

5. make a degree your self, interesting project with a nice seal

Master's are rarely needed except for maybe an MBA or some cool

research job, although it can affect starting pay.

If you write it you can say you completed it.

You can always say you expect completion in June 2013. So what if if takes

til 2016. Above all do not lie, marketing yourself is OK and somewhat

expected. Some strange questions really have no answer.

Or just buy it from Ebay. <_<

I have a feeling if you pretend to have a master's degree you may end up not pretending to be employed. This is fraud what you're talking about doing and simply not worth the risk.

Posted

I knew a guy who had his diploma on the wall in his cube, very

strange in the old days of semiconductor. Everyone just thought of him

as a strange guy that loved his school. One day by pure luck a guy that

went to that school looked at it and knew something was up. It turns out

that they did not even have a EE department, the guy got fired.

I also knew a guy that did operations, said he was a doctor, he was

just a first year student of history. All they did is ban him from

the operation room.