What's wrong with the all the old folks here?

104 posts in this topic

Posted

I've never seen so many broken down and mentally unfit elderly in my life until moving here. I feel really bad for them. Just the other day I was near the Ubahn at Messberg and some old German guy comes shuffling along with his walker and he asks me which direction is the main station from here. He really wasnt even that old, maybe in his late 50's, and I could tell he wasnt a drunk or anything. But I could tell he was really confused and the way he was walking, it seriously would have taken him about 9 hours to walk to central station from there. If my german was better I would have offered to help him down the stairs and paid his train fare. If I was in the US I might have called ambulance for him. But I've noticed so many people like this here and everybody just ignores them. What's up with that?

Posted

That´s anonymous city life everywhere, Mandatory, surely?

Added to that: people know public services can step in - so people can pass the buck.

Posted

So why didn't you help the guy? Was it just the language thing? I know I wouldn't of helped either but that isn't because I've got no respect for the elderly, quite the contrary. I would explain but I can't be bothered with the following onslaught of posts. <_<

Posted

A couple of hours ago I was in a weinstrube going to have a meal and when I went to sit down I accidentally bumped my head on the pendulum lamp over the table. There were four really elderly ladies sitting at the table behind mine who thought it was funny and were laughing like someone had just told a joke. As the light was swinging from my hard head hitting it I turned around and gave them a dirty look and said "that's not funny".

Oh well, I was able to entertain the seniors today. This place I went to was chock full with geriatrics today at the table in front of mine I sat and listened to three geriatric men and when I looked around the room the average age had to be at least 75 or 80, excluding me and the wait staff.

Posted

I guess he didn't want to walk to the main station, he wanted to know which Ubahn platform. And he was probably confused because you confused him. So you met this old guy and conclude there's a problem with elderly people in Germany just to start a thread?

Most of the elderly people in Germany are fit, out and a about and happily independent, walker or not.

Posted

He really wasnt even that old, maybe in his late 50's

did you have a look in his wallet? How do you purport to know how old this total stranger was?

My granny uses a cane and has literally no wrinkles on her face (although the normal wear and tear is there, like puffing/drooping). She too looks to be in her late 50s but is in her late 70s. She listens to country music and drives a pickup truck, then hangs her disabled parking permit from the rear view, gets out of the truck and hobbles off with her cane. Never occurred to me that someone might think my granny was just in really bad shape for 58 instead of doing awesome and looking amazing for almost 80.

Maybe there's something in the Hamburg water keeping the natives smooth and young-looking. Maybe it's all the fatty acids they get. Here in Berlin the people look like shit but they ride bikes and take the stairs until they're dead.

I don't think Germans are particularly known for aging badly one way or the other, and not that I've noticed either.

Posted

That´s anonymous city life everywhere, Mandatory, surely?

I know what you mean but until I moved here , I never came home at night thinking "Jesus! There must be hundreds of elderly citizens and demented people wandering around the city who will probably be dead in 5 days unless somebody helps them"

Added to that: people know public services can step in - so people can pass the buck.

Im starting to think that here, public services means give em a couple of crutches or a walker and get em the hell away from here.

Posted

I don't think Germans are particularly known for aging badly one way or the other, and not that I've noticed either.

Mmhmhm. Maybe coming from the US, but coming from southern europe, I see that people at 65 here are really struggling compared to most people of the same age in northern Italy - this seems to be especially true for the males. Part of the problem, imho, is just the diet - too much fat and unhealthy food coupled with a lot of beer during the weekend. And perhaps, lots of old people are really lonely too - that's the impression I get.

Posted

I dunno.

Could it be that you live in a part of the city that has a particularly high percentage of elderly/infirm inhabitants?

My own experience of the elderly in Germany is that they are quite spritely - always out and about doing this, that or the other.

Posted

I guess he didn't want to walk to the main station, he wanted to know which Ubahn platform. And he was probably confused because you confused him. So you met this old guy and conclude there's a problem with elderly people in Germany just to start a thread?

Uh..no.

Posted

I don´t know if you´ve done any travelling around the world, Mandatory. The world is full of demented elderly folk with no place to go. It´s also full of demented younger folk on the streets.

Public services here, by the way, are better than in 90% of the world. But point taken: who really cares for the downtrodden?

Surely you´ve seen this in the States, though?

Posted

I've never seen so many broken down and mentally unfit elderly in my life until moving here.

Yeah? Try any big city. And not just in Germany.

Actually it's the current generations of pensioners in this country who have very good pensions (we won't) and are out and about and traveling. I know quite a few that live 1/2 a year here and 1/2 a year somewhere sunny and others that are hopping from one trip to another, spending it all before they kick the bucket. Good on them!!!

50's, eh? Jesus, I'm in my 50's so what does that make me? I could say youth is wasted on the young but I'm too young to say that :blink:

Posted

Mmhmhm. Maybe coming from the US, but coming from southern europe, I see that people at 65 here are really struggling compared to most people of the same age in northern Italy - this seems to be especially true for the males. Part of the problem, imho, is just the diet - too much fat and unhealthy food coupled with a lot of beer during the weekend. And perhaps, lots of old people are really lonely too - that's the impression I get.

The elderly in the US are pretty fit compared to the elderly I have seen in germany.

Posted

Yeah? Try any big city. And not just in Germany.

Actually it's the current generations of pensioners in this country who have very good pensions (we won't) and are out and about and traveling. I know quite a few that live 1/2 a year here and 1/2 a year somewhere sunny and others that are hopping from one trip to another, spending it all before they kick the bucket. Good on them!!!

50's, eh? Jesus, I'm in my 50's so what does that make me? I could say youth is wasted on the young but I'm too young to say that

You´re in your 50´s, Erika? Much too young to write on this thread. Go back to the disco tonight!

Leave this thread to the elderly and the wise..!

Posted

You´re in your 50´s, Erika? Much too young to write on this thread. Go back to the disco tonight!Leave this thread to the elderly and the wise..!

John, disco sucked in the 70's and it still sucks today (and don't get me started on the continual playing of ABBA, Boney M. & the BeeGee's on German radio!!!)

Long live ROCK! and in a twist on an old Jethro Tull song:

I'm not too old to rock n' roll but I am too young to die :)

You have yourself a good evening with whatever music you like and I thank you for thinking me too young to be on this thread!

Posted

Ah, I thought this was going to be another "why are German pensioners all bloody psychotic?" thread.

But no.

I agree that most oldies I've seen here could hold their own with the best of them.

They certainly outshine their counterparts in my home town.

And Lavender Rain

Sorry but this is funny.

If it were younger people at the other table they probably wouldn't have laughed out of politeness or embarrassment, however four old German frauen don't give a fuck anymore and will laugh at whatever the hell they like.

And I'd have laughed too.

Actually there wasn't anything funny. I injured my head. I guess you are just like those women someone who gets pleasure out of laughing at someone else's pain. If I had witnessed someone banging their head, I would have asked them if they were ok, instead of laughing like a damn hyaena.

But to each it's own. I didn't have to go to the hospital and I was grateful for that.

Posted

The elderly in the US are pretty fit compared to the elderly I have seen in germany.

Ah so thats the reason for this thread.

Posted

I don´t know if you´ve done any travelling around the world, Mandatory. The world is full of demented elderly folk with no place to go. It´s also full of demented younger folk on the streets.

Public services here, by the way, are better than in 90% of the world. But point taken: who really cares for the downtrodden?

Surely you´ve seen this in the States, though?

Yeah I see old people walking around in the US. They just dont seem so broken down. I am searching to see if a study has been done one this. Guess there was one taken back in 1992..

Elderly in U.S. happy, 5-nation study shows Attitudes of older people compared in global survey

September 30, 1992|By Knight-Ridder Newspapers

Elderly Americans are more satisfied with life than the elderly in other developed countries. They also seem more active, more independent, generally healthy and happy with the quality of their medical care.

Those findings are part of a unique five-nation survey, released yesterday, in which older people were questioned about their attitudes toward everything from health to loneliness.

Older Americans reported being "very satisfied with life" twice as often as the elderly in Japan and 50 percent more often than the elderly in western Germany.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-09-30/news/1992274102_1_elderly-western-germany-commonwealth-fund