Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question about transfer in a Postbank filiale

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi.

My question is, does an actual Postbank Filiale still have uberweisung forms?

(or did they phase the paper forms out of the branches entirely)

It is a bit of a specific question but maybe someone here will know.

The background for this is I want to make a SEPA transfer from my Postbank account, unfortunately I can't make it online right now due to lack of a (German) mobile number to receive TANs so I went to the nearest post office. I was able to withdraw cash easily with my card, but when I asked for a slip for the uberweisung I was told they didn't have it and gave me instead a form to order (bestellen) some forms! I find this strange as I remember paying my first months of rent in that same place with forms with the expected fields, "empfanger" etc., but that was back in 2010. I wonder if there was some misunderstanding as my German is not so perfect.

Thanks in advance,

Ivo.

Posted

Postbank has pre-filled Überweisung forms which already contain your own account details. That's the ones you can order from them. You probably also got a package of those when you opened your account.

Posted

Thanks Kato.

I don't remember receiving these when I opened the account, but as I had some trouble with receiving mail in the first weeks maybe they were returned and they didn't try again. In any case I'm sure there were unfilled forms as I distinctly remember filling out my own details in some paper slips (in fact I put my own details in the Receiver part the first time I filled one, had to ask for another paper and got out my dictionary to fill it). Probably I should just go to a Filiale and check, I just wanted to avoid going there on purpose if they don't have them any more as it is not very close.

The one I went to wasn't really a proper Filiale, just the post office where they do limited Postbank services, but as that same post office had the forms back in 2010 I wonder if the forms were eliminated everywhere for whatever reason.

Ivo.

Posted

You could use one of the self-service terminals if one of your local post offices has one. They don't need a TAN, just your PIN. Not sure whether they're SEPA-compatible though, haven't done a transfer from one in a couple weeks.

I think they eliminated the (free) Überweisungsträger sometime last year when they introduced a service charge for those filled forms you can order.

Posted

I can confirm: no blank Überweisung-forms to be had at post offices!

Posted

You could use one of the self-service terminals if one of your local post offices has one. They don't need a TAN, just your PIN. Not sure whether they're SEPA-compatible though, haven't done a transfer from one in a couple weeks.

I think they eliminated the (free) Überweisungsträger sometime last year when they introduced a service charge for those filled forms you can order.

Many thanks. My suspicion is that they did eliminate the free ones entirely. You also helped me more as I didn't know it was possible to use the terminals for transfers, I will go and try that and confirm about the Überweisungsträger. The terminal will be a nice solution if it supports SEPA.

In Portugal one can do transfers and a lot more from the ATMs, but the whole system (called Multibanco, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multibanco) is quite advanced - strangely, each bank cooperates letting everyone use their Multibanco ATMs, and each physical branch seems to have at least one (many branches also have their own non-Multibanco ATMs, where you can do a few things you can not do in Multibanco ones, like deposits to your own account). I still find it surprising that in Portugal we actually have something so much nicer*. In terms of ATMs it is (by far) better in functionality than anywhere else I have been.

* In comparison, despite the language barrier, I find the tax system / Finanzamt here much nicer and reasonable. I also think the D. Bahn website is pretty good.

Posted

I didn't know it was possible to use the terminals for transfers

You can also use them to set up and manage (!) forward-dated timed transfers (Terminüberweisungen) as well as setting up and managing regular transfers (Daueraufträge) from your account. They take both manual entry by keyboard and Überweisungsträger forms through a scanner - the latter of which is rather nice if you have a prefilled form e.g. for a fine, just select "scan form", slip it in and it will autofill pretty much everything else so you only have to confirm it.

As said, dunno if they're SEPA-compatible.

Posted

I can confirm: no blank Überweisung-forms to be had at post offices!

In addition, you will get a scolding for asking! :(

Posted

Did you have any luck in trying the Service Terminal in branch? I need to do the same thing while I'm waiting for my TAN to arrive.

Posted

Sorry I only saw this today - I haven't tried yet. Was out of the country for a week and have another trip coming up soon, but I will be going during this week when I find a good time. I need to go to the centre anyway so I will try it when going to take care of other stuff.

I did not raise my hopes up too much though, because I don't see how I would input the BIC/SWIFT code (which uses letters) in these terminals. It is not impossible, but it would be cumbersome to implement if you only have the numerical keypad and some extra buttons, and makes me think that the terminals will not have the feature.

Ivo.

Posted

I went to the Postbank Finanzcenter today.

The bad news is that the service terminal, despite having a full keyboard (got my hopes up) does not seem to allow SEPA transfers. I pressed for Uberweisung but only saw the fields for national transfers.

The good news is I asked at the counter about SEPA transfers (I actually wanted to be sure if there was some obscure way to do it in the terminal). The gentleman went to get a form and gave it to me (!) - it had the IBAN and SWIFT BIC fields as expected (and some info about the 12500 EUR "limit" etc.).

I filled it up, returned with it to the counter, and after checking some stuff they gave me the duplicate of the filled form back as a receipt. I will check if they charge me something extra (but I don't think so) and report here later.

I don't know if I was lucky that this particular branch still has some leftover forms or what. I am undecided if I should try and make a second transfer soon to see if I catch another form again...

If anyone knows what the rules are for doing consecutive transfers that go over the 12500 limit when added up I'd like to know. As I understand it, for transfers within the SEPA one can do up to 50k nowadays, but stuff over 12500 still gets reported to somewhere* (presumably on worries of money laundry or other illicit activity), and I would like to avoid extra hassle or any hidden costs.

* The form mentions "Ab 12500 Euro AWV-Meldepflicht beruecksichtigen"

Found this:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87133

The transfer is to my own account in Portugal, for reference.

Posted

Just do several transfers of under 12,500€, although you are not supposed to, nobody cares when you do.

If you do not, you will also have to send a form, the Anlage Z4 to the Bundesbank, for details please see Limits on international money transfer.

Anlage Z4 is both for incoming (= eingehende Zahlungen) and outgoing payments (= ausgehende Zahlungen).

Posted

Arguably, since he holds the account in Portugal, it's not a transfer to a Gebietsfremder anyway.

Posted

The bad news is that the service terminal, despite having a full keyboard (got my hopes up) does not seem to allow SEPA transfers.

Postbank has just begun currently reconfiguring the service terminals (software-wise) to allow SEPA transfers. This is a rolling reconfiguration with no set date for each branch that began in mid-November.

For some odd reason with the same reconfiguration the terminals that I use now print stuff on glossy DIN A4 paper...