Hi, am calling from Microsoft. Your PC is infected

89 posts in this topic

Posted

Just thought of putting this here as someone I know had their computer hacked after taking such a call yesterday. The typical modus-operandi is to call a person (preferably someone pre-identified as not-so tech savvy), coax them into believing that their computer is infected and asking them to log onto some website so that they can repair the PC. This then allows them to monitor your PC remotely, and well, to glean stuff like saved address books, password-information etc. and to install trapdoor malwares/Trojans which can wreak irreparable damage. And on top of that, they would naturally charge you for having *fixed* your computer, which implies your credit card details are also with them...

Read more here:

http://www.microsoft...hone-scams.aspx

Apparently this scam has already been doing rounds in the US for a couple of years. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has also taken some action and busted some of these fake tech outfits (mostly originating from India :ph34r: ), yet, the scam seems to be proliferating owing to lack of a concerted international legal offensive.

Posted

We've had two of these in the last month. The one I had involved a brief exchange where I think I may have annoyed the head-bobbling little twunt. His last shouted words before hanging up were, "Yes, I am your motherf@&ker!!!".

There's an amusing recording on YouTube of a guy stringing one of them along for ages before finally telling them he has a Mac.

Posted

On Saturday morning, before 8:00!, some guy called Ray called me up from Microsoft to talk to me about my computer. It was odd for a number of reasons, firstly because I didn't realise Ray was a popular name in India, secondly because he spoke to me in "English", but mainly because I too have a Mac! It wasn't a long conversation, nor a very polite one.

Posted

I acted insulted when he told me I had a windows PC. He insisted I must have one, and when I told him I use Ubuntu he hung up. Guess I should have strung him along.

Posted

I got three calls in the last 30 days. The first two times, I could hear the boiler-room background chatter: not very professional!

A youtube session (unfortunately kind of long):

I almost wish I had the time to string them along. I've contented myself with just telling them that I know they are lying. (I have a Mac.) Maybe I will escalate to telling them that they are individually evil people doing evil things for an evil company.

I guess they might be Hindu or Muslim. Are there any religion-specific hooks that can be used?

- I know it is very severe for a Muslim to take a false oath while holding a copy of the Koran, but I don't know if that applies if you take the oath in the name of the Koran.

- I know even less about the Hindu religion.

Posted

I guess they might be Hindu or Muslim.

I fail to understand why that is relevant here.

Posted

The easiest way out of this scam is to tell them you have a Mac. They hang up immediately.

Posted

generalmartok:

Because I'm looking for a specific guilt-button that I can push.

I know what I could use with Christians or Buddhists.

Posted

Buddah is a skinny bastard?...

Posted

Had this guy on the phone a few weeks back at a customers house, kept him on there for about 10 minutes stringing him along until I finally broke it to him that I was running linux. He said he was calling from a company called "E-Digital John" on behalf of the Windows Operating System Company. The chap was "I would bet" of African extraction judging by his level of English and accent and the way he said "The" (de) leaving out "a" in a sentence etc...

The worrying thing about this is the targeting, they had zeroed in on their target precisely. How they got that information is the intriguing part.

The customer was a native English speaker, living on her own, in her golden years and not too tech savvy. She unfortunately fell for it and installed Teamviewer as instructed by our dear friend "Mr. Bo Jiggedy John" who then proceeded to connect to her machine; by that time she was suspicious and hung up. The "mofo" called again the next day and ran into me, I had a great laugh at him, eventually letting him down with a bang when he learned I was running linux and could see little green people on my screen.

Posted

MadAxeMurderer:

I would ask how s/he can engage in actions that are intended to steal money from someone and to leave them with the endless trouble of computer problems and identity theft? How will this affect you at the moment of death, when your karma will influence your next rebirth? If s/he's more or less orthodox, I would remind that theft leads to rebirth as a "hungry ghost" (preta), a miserable state in which you are doomed to hunger and thirst indefinitely. If there's any Mahayana background, I would ask what Buddhist teachings recommend cheating people or engaging in activities that allow others to cheat them.

and so on ... I can go on indefinitely, depending on the response.

Posted

Because if you quoted the rest you'd see that he is clearly thinking of what would be the best way to really piss off the caller. Instead you just quoted that bit so you can feign righteous indignation. All clear?

Wasn't trying to feign anything. All clear, thanks. Have a good one.

Posted

Are there any religion-specific hooks that can be used?

Perhaps an alternative would be to practise a set of choicest expletives from different countries and keep them handy.

Delivered with panache, they might prove to be a great stress-buster for oneself too.

Posted

Stangabreck, godz magnum opus:

The goal is not to get rid of them, but to discourage them from doing this.

One can't stop the enterprise, but if their employees feel bad about what they're doing, and quit; that will at least increase employee-turnover costs. Every little bit hurts...

Posted

Simpsons has pretty much ruined it for us with the Indian accent :lol:

But seriously if you want to be sure, if they speak like Raj from 'The Big Bang Theory', they'd most likely be from India..