Cheap / Cheapest Bio Markt in P.Berg?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I have recently decided to start trying to eat a lot more healthy. I want to add more bio food to my diet but don't have a lot of experience buying this type of food.

I am a musician and money is pretty tight so I would really appreciate any tips on where to get healthy bio food for cheap.

I hope someone has some info :)

Thanks.

Posted

Thanks for your reply. I read the thread in full but there is very little in it about bio other than it is more expensive than non-bio and it can sometimes be cheaper at a regular supermarket.

I would really like to know if one brand is cheaper than another, in the same way that Netto is cheaper than Rewe.

Thanks.

Posted

In my area Steglitz-Zehlendorf, Alnatura usually seems to be the cheapest organic store from what I've experienced.

Posted

Agree that Alnatura is the cheapest Bio-Laden around.

Don't agree so much that in order to eat "healthy" one must eat Bio. Especially seeing as one can get a Bio version of just about anything which consumed in excess is just as unhealthy as its non-Bio counterpart. If you want to eat healthfully, add more fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet, replace refined carbohydrates with whole grains, skip animal flesh as often as possible and cut down on most sugars, including alcohol. Get a bit of exercise and drink more water. Voila.

Posted

Oops, sorry - I didn't reread the thread before posting the link, but thought I remembered reading quite a bit about bio there. Have a read of this thread instead: The official "Bio" stamp - it will give you some background on how "bio" marketing works.

Nowadays, even the discounters offer bio products. And yes, the Aldi organic stuff really is organic. So is BioBio at Plus, and the stuff at Lidl.

Smaller stores and bio supermarkets, as well as local markets will sell local produce. This is good - but wait a minute: Since when do bananas grow in Germany? If carbon impact/transportation is of concern to you, then check the label, inform yourself and eat seasonally. Source is not as much of an issue for organic status, but it's still something consumers should consider.

It's really up to you. Some of my groceries I buy at the market (or the local Turkish shop), some I buy at Aldi. The ranges differ, so does the price, but both are still organic. And perhaps a good start is just eating more fresh fruit and veg, whole grains instead of processed carbs, and cutting down on sugar - that will get you healthier whether you're buying bio or not.

EDIT: Ah, I see Dessa got here before me, I got distracted while posting. ;)

Posted

There's a Bioladen near me called Biosphäre. It's a very small store, vegetarian / vegan only, it seems. Non-profit. It's on a par pricewise with the Bio - chains AFAIK. But if you're a member you get a cheaper price. Now, here's the thing... I *think* I saw an info sign in there which detailed special offers / reduced prices for people who need it. As in unemployed, low earners etc. So, if you're not earning so much, perhaps you could qualify for a scheme like this?

I guess it's not only in this store... You could enquire at other bio stores too to see if they have similar schemes. Not specific to P'berg, but hopefully can help you in your search locally.

(And perhaps this is also written in the other threads linked above, sorry I didn't have time to read them!)