Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Got attacked; Police refused to take my statement

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Wow, that is deeply troubling. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Getting mugged is traumatic enough without adding discrimination and neglect from the people who are supposedly there to protect you. Normally I find Germans to be so accomodating toward language barriers, I'm shocked to hear how you were treated, especially when public safety is at risk! Can I ask what neighborhood this happened in?

I don't personally have any experience with the law here (I'm American and have been in Berlin for about 5 months), but I will ask around to my German friends in case they know anything about the process or success rate of filing a complaint.

I also speak some, but not totally fluent German, and I always assumed that, in the event of an emergency like that, I would be able to get by explaining an incident to the police even if they didn't speak English, so if your experience is typical for Berlin then I'm really worried.

I wonder if anyone else here has had a cross-ling experience with the cops in Berlin?

I know it's frustrating that this guy is still on the loose and you didn't even get the satisfaction of filing a proper report about him, but at least you and your friend both got away unharmed. Hang in there.

Posted

Hi, don't let his get in on you to much, you still have to enjoy Berlin, the main thing is your all ok, if you see this guy again keep on moving, maybe he was so drunk he cant remember, if he causes any problems again get the police again and sort it out, its not great that the police didnt help, when you think that he tried to drag the lady with you to a bar against her will, not cool at all, as cities go berlin is fairly safe, stay positive.....

Posted

Hey there,

sorry to hear what happened, I hope you will both be alright, have you thought about contacting the British Consulate, I am pretty sure there is one in Berlin. Hope this helps

Take care

The Scots

Posted

Usually you would be expected to go to a police station to file charges. The police on the road will not take it. Their job is to resolve an emergency situation, not to take charges on file. As the gentlemen from Serbia had already disappeared they had no more business on the site. But surely from what you described their behaviour seems not to have been okay and you can file a complaint against them as well.

Given however, that you probably have no witnesses, they will simply have the excuse that they didn't understand you and therefore my guess is that nothing will come around anyway. On the other hand you seem to be guilty of insulting a servant of the state ("...told them to go fuck themselves..."), which is punishable. So if I were in your shoes I would only lay charges against that honorable Serbian guest in this country because otherwise the police officers might remember that you insulted them and lay charges against you.

Posted

... have you thought about contacting the British Consulate,

- for somebody from the Netherlands, I doubt the BC would be of much help...

Posted

This is awful. I'm sorry you had such an experience.

It may be worth contacting your country's Embassy/Consulate in Berlin for information/advice.

Posted

Basically a drunk guy from Serbia asked to be taken to a bar across the street.

How did you know he was from Serbia and why is his nationality relevant to your story??

Even though you were upset, why were you hurling epithets at police??? I'm wondering if the police told the other police you were abusive to them and not to bother and that's why they didn't come back?

Posted

Usually you would be expected to go to a police station to file charges. The police on the road will not take it. Their job is to resolve an emergency situation, not to take charges on file. As the gentlemen from Serbia had already disappeared they had no more business on the site. But surely from what you described their behaviour seems not to have been okay and you can file a complaint against them as well.

Given however, that you probably have no witnesses, they will simply have the excuse that they didn't understand you and therefore my guess is that nothing will come around anyway. On the other hand you seem to be guilty of insulting a servant of the state ("...told them to go fuck themselves..."), which is punishable. So if I were in your shoes I would only lay charges against that honorable Serbian guest in this country because otherwise the police officers might remember that you insulted them and lay charges against you.

Well, I dunno, jeba. You say the police on the road will not take it. I reckon getting mugged and the hassle the lady faced IS an emergency situation. I agree that swearing at the cops is not the best idea in the world, though.

I doubt if the Serbian " gentleman " in question is any better when he´s not drunk. Maybe next time he´ll come up against someone who´ll "remind " him of that without the police.

Posted

Well, I dunno, jeba. You say the police on the road will not take it. I reckon getting mugged and the hassle the lady faced IS an emergency situation.

Of course, that's an emergency. But it had been no longer when the police arrived as the gentleman had left already.

Posted

YES Thanks robinson100 I realise my mistake. So sorry for being such a twat (not)

Posted

. Basically a drunk guy from Serbia asked to be taken to a bar across the street. According to him he was too drunk to cross the street and needed some help. I walked up with him until my house and had a small chat with him. When I wished him a good night, he suddenly grabbed my friend

Lesson #1, never help or pay attention to a drunk.Call the police if he is in bad shape.

Lesson #2, be prepared for a fight when approached by a drunk.

That is valid anywhere I guess.

Posted

Beuel and Robinson: Thanks for the detailled description on how to proceed. I'll work on a description with one of my German friends and see how they handle it.

@Gaberlunzi: I honestly think there is no way this could have been avoided. I did not actively engage with him, he basically threw himself against me. Since the guy was twice my size my best option was to stray friendly. This has worked for me my entire life and I'm not going to let this one guy ruin my (maybe naive) way of interacting with people.

Posted

I have had good experience using the Internetwache. I filled in the form (immediately after the incident) keeping the details quite simple; then a couple of days later, I got a letter from the Police with the name of the person on in charge of my case, asking for more details. As I felt that it was going to be quite complicated to write down everything that happened in details, I rang up the person in charge of the case and made an appointment to go into the station and make a proper statement. What I am trying to say is don't stress too much about filling in the internet form, but do do it, so that they have a record of the incident, and then they can contact you for more details which you can provide verbally at a time when you are calm.