Frustrations when going from Sky SD to Sky HD

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

So I finally decided to leave the dinosaurs behind, and made the jump from Sky SD to HD (without hard drive). But I have discovered a few issues and was wondering if anyone had any solutions.

1) First is the connection ports on the back of the box. The old SD box I had was great, and had zillions of ports on the back of the box, as well as those little red and white sockets for connecting to my speakers. But on the HD box I have, there are very few ports. I see a single solitary SCART port and one optical audio out, and then HDMI.

What I want to do is:

- Connect the HD box to the DVD recorder (DVD has scart ports)

- Connect the HD box to TV (TV has HDMI and scart ports)

- Connect the HD box to my PC speakers (red/white connection)

But with so few ports on the sky box, I am having troubles figuring the best and cheapest way to do this. I found on the internet there is something called a DAC which converts the optical audio to red/white. This would leave the SCART port free to connect to the DVD recorder. Has anyone used a DAC this way before? But the DACs are hard to find - probably conrad have them, but certainly not saturn etc...

(I tried an old scart/red/white/yellow adaptor from a PS2 cable, but that didn't make the speakers give sound)

2) Sky HD EPG no longer has the reminder "autoview" feature when trying to plan a chain of consecutive viewings on different channels (useful for recording DVDs) and you are not physically there to press the select/backup buttons. Is there a way to get the "autoview" feature back on an HD box, or downgrade the box softwarewise to SD EPG?

I loved "autoview" - I could record a chain of programmes on DVD recorder and then take the DVDs anywhere e.g watch on the train on the way to work.

3) The HD EPG is only showing the programmes for the next 24 hours (not full 7 days). It showed the full 7 days on the SD box. Is this anything to do with "pairing"? (I still have to coordinate this). Or do I need to use that hidden remote control menu thingy to force a software update?

The dish itself is in a fringe reception due to it looking back on the building itself, and barely skimming the rooftops to get the signal, so I was thinking maybe the EPG is not fully received in HD (although it was on SD).

If anyone has any ideas on the above, I'd really appreciate it.

Posted

I thought you were remaining a dinosaur and getting the old box repaired?

It would be helpful to know WHICH HD box you have - I am not aware of any Sky HD boxes without harddrive!

As far as connections are concerned, then you should connect your TV with a suitable HDMI-HDMI lead - one should have been included with the system

In order to connect the DVD and the speakers at the same time then you need a SCART splitter (example)

As far as the EPG issues are concerned, if the box has only been connected for a day or so you should first be sure you have the latest software (wait 2-3 days for it to automatically update or force an update by disconnecting power, then press and hold the backup button, while simultaneously reconnecting power. Keep the button held down until all the lights on the front panel illuminate (and if a TV is connected you get an on-screen message). Release the backup-button, then wait for the update to finish (5-15 minutes), then switch on normally. (see here for more detail)).

You also won't get full EPG functionality until your card is re-paired - it would generally make sense to do this before your other comments are addressed.

As you had a normal SD system previously, was it a PVR (with harddrive)? - if not I presumed you have upgraded the dish to provide a second feed to the HD system?

Posted

Hi there,

So I finally decided to leave the dinosaurs behind, and made the jump from Sky SD to HD (without hard drive).

As you had a normal SD system previously, was it a PVR (with harddrive)? - if not I presumed you have upgraded the dish to provide a second feed to the HD system?

Read Fail...

Posted

Thanks, I'll try that splitter thing - definitely an affordable solution. Will also force the software update and see if that helps until I can get pairing coordinated.

The old SD box had no hard drive, and neither does the new HD box. All the recording is handled via the DVD player/recorder.

About the dish - I have duo LNB and just a regular looking 1m dish which picked up SD until now. 1 cable on the LNB is working, the other cable I used to have as backup running to the bedroom freesat is faulty, so at the moment I have one fully functional cable.

Dish and door to access is on the neighbours terrace, and so I have to get on their nerves to arrange a date/time when they are not working, and I am not working and a technician has a free time window to do anything dish/cable wise. It was a hassle just getting a dish there at all, so am not keen on having to knock on their door too often to arrange anything dish-wise.

Urgh - oh to have a south facing balcony...

Posted

Interesting - thank you for that - I was not aware of these. £39.99 is a very fair price too and I imagine certainly cheaper than the repair considered earlier.

Posted

The power supply was fucked beyond economical repair... So a replacement box was procured by the OP...

At these Silly prices on Ebay, there is a fair chance that the Boxes will not be of any use to someone who is upgrading a pay service..

for the FTA stuff, they are a fair price...

Posted

Just out of curiousity more than anything else... Do the skyboxes with harddrive allow you to take the recordings "out" of the box e.g. on USB or burn to DVD? I like having a backcatalog of DVDs for long train journeys/rainy days etc... (Sigh - long train journeys - the bane of my life)

Posted

You can't extract them directly off the disk, if that's what you mean, but there's nothing to stop you streaming them out of the SCART to a DVB recorder. You just won't get HD quality. In this respect the Freesat devices are better - you can pull media content data directly from the harddrive over a network or transfer/archive it directly to a an external HD or stick via USB.

Posted

Update: I got one of those splitters from Conrad. Tried the speakers and the dvd recorder running off the one SCART socket and it works great.

1 down, 2 to go :-) Yippee!