Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New in Heidelberg (or new to this forum)

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi! I'm Noemi, I came from Hungary and I'm Au-pair here, but I would like to study in Medizin University in Heidelberg. I speak better German, but I would like to speak it fluenty. Ans I speak just a bit english, because I did not use this language a year ago, but I want to practice this. I like listening to music, reading, learning about new cultures and watching sports (especially football and handball) and doing sports. I'll stay here a half years as an au pair, but I hope I stay here. In the meantime, I want to find friends with whom I can hang out. :)

Posted

Hi Noemi. I'm Aviaaja from Weinheim. About 20 min. from Heidelberg, I guess. I'm 20 years old and I am also an Au-pair by a danish family.

Im from Denmark, but I'd also speak english and german. How old are you? I like to hear music, to eat, fitness, dance etc.

Hope I'll hear from you. Love Avi.

Posted

Hello to both of you!

My name is Vessi, and (you guessed it) I'll be living in Heidelberg soon as well. I was born in Bulgaria, but I've lived in the U.S. for the majority of my life. Each year, I love coming back to visit my family in Bulgaria, and part of why I want to study and live in Germany, is so that I can be closer to them.

As for my interests and hobbies, some big ones would be jogging, swimming, meeting new people, learning different languages, medicine, etc. For now, I'll just be improving my German skills, in order to eventually enter a university and study in the field of medicine.

Hope to hear from both of you again!

Lots of greetings,

Vessi :)

Posted

Hi there,

i'm also fairly new here in Meldorf and would love to meet up and chat. I mean, with this cheerful weather, who wouldn't enjoy a pint of beer or two. Well coffee would also suffice :) I have many hobbies and i just might find a new one, that is counting sheep. Joking aside, my name is Saša, I come from Slovenia, i'm a bit old (26), well at least for an au pair, but just needed a break from my master thesis, googled what to do and papa google said au pair is a good thing, if u need a break from studies... well we can discuss about that in person! I spent some time in England, so i think we can converse quite well, but if you want to laugh at my German, we can also try that :)

i'm free on weekends, sometimes also afternoons, when i'm not babysitting, tai-boing or jogging, but hey, everything can be arranged.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Herrzlichen Grüße, Saša

Posted

Hey!

Im Cherry and I live 10 min away from Heidelberg and just moved to Germany. I plan to study here and i'm learning German at the moment.

My English is quite good and I would love to get to know some people around whom I can hang out with!

And sasa86, I used to live in Slovenia before I came here! haha

Hope to hear from you,

Cherry :)

Posted

Look my wife and I up on Facebook sgt_malibu@yahoo.com

Posted

Hey all, I'm finally looking for people to chill with as well! PM me and maybe we can meet up!!! Hope everyone has settled in well :)

Apolonia

Posted

Hey guys, I'm Michael from Australia. I'm living close to Heidelberg and staying for the year. I'm 19 turning 20 and will be good to meet a few of you people around town. Like my football, travelling and just a good time really. If anybody want's to hang out drop me a PM.

Peace

Mikey

Posted

Hey everyone

My name is Christine I'm 20 & I live in Schwetzingen (about 10 minutes from Heidelberg) I work here as au pair & have been here for a bit more than a year now. A lot of the people that I met here when I first got here are not here anymore since most au pairs does not stay longer than a year. Therefore I would love to meet some new people, if anybody is interested please send me a pm or write here.

Christine

Posted

Hii,

I just moved to Plankstadt (very close to Heidelberg) 1,5 weeks ago. And I don't know anyone either.

My German could be better, but I speak English as good as fluently.

So if anyone would like to meet up some time?

My interests: longboarding, music, drawing&painting, reading books and just chill and hang out :P

Greets,

Priscilla

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Greetings from NC (USA)!

I'm Chris and in June 2013, I 'll be joining my German wife in Heidelberg. She recently moved there to do research at the DKFZ. I'm pretty excited about the move as her company sent a very informative 270pg GUIDE published by the Metropolregion Rhein-Neckar.

Any input on what it's like to like to work at the DKFZ?

I don't have a clue what I'll do for work. My background is healthcare (x-ray technologist) and I have a degree in Spanish. My German level is pretty much zero, but I plan on improving that. Assuming my wife's citizenship allows me to obtain a work visa, I'm thinking my only options are teaching English/Spanish. I'll take on anything that doesn't require German fluency or will tolerate my learning of the language. I'm also open to volunteer opportunities as I'll need something to occupy my time when I first get there.

Well, I don't have anymore questions for now, but I'm sure there will be plenty as my arrival date nears. Looking forward to making new friends. I hope someone finds the linked guide helpful, let me know if you come across any false or outdated info.

P.S. I thought of some!

Is there any particular mobile phone company that is best for the iphone? Any reception problems in Heidelberg?

Posted

Start learning German now. If you're near a college, find out if there's a German department or if there's a German-American Saturday school nearby. You may be able to add Deutsche Welle to your cable package - their programs are often paired in German and English. The news programs will clue you into what Germans are interested in besides soccer. And soccer gets its own program, Kick-Off. You want to start hearing German spoken as well as getting a language course from books. Forty years ago I learned German from TV, newspapers, books, and kind people who would suffer through my attempts to hold conversations. Get a head start and don't wait until you're actually in the country..

Posted

...Assuming my wife's citizenship allows me to obtain a work visa, I'm thinking my only options are teaching English/Spanish. ...

And that would be?

...Is there any particular mobile phone company that is best for the iphone? Any reception problems in Heidelberg?

Have a search for mobile phone plans, etc. Heidelberg is in the middle of nowhere, yes, so there are very few cell towers. ;)

Posted

And that would be?Have a search for mobile phone plans, etc. Heidelberg is in the middle of nowhere, yes, so there are very few cell towers.

Umm, no it's not. Heidelberg is an amazing hub, 30 min from Stuttgart, 60 from Frankfurt, 10 from Mannheim, 30 from Karlsruhe, etc... SAP is here, Uni Heidelberg, the US had their Command Center here. I could go on, but it's an iPad and the typing is not so easy.

OP, Heidelberg is great and all cell carriers provide service here. I have Telekom. My husband BASE, my motherinlaw EPlus. Your going to be fine.

Since Heidelberg is what it is, your not a one of a kind when it comes to either English or Spanish. But we do have an amazing Uni clinic here so x-ray technician is a great plus.

Fact: Heidelberg was voted best vacation spot in 2011, in Germany and the. 3rd most expensive city in Germany. Not bad for middle of nowhere.

Posted

Gee, you're easy.

Posted

Heh, heh, thanks kato!

Btw, my home, when I'm not in here, is Mannheim. :D

Posted

@katheliz: Thanks for tips! I wasn't able to add Deutsche Welle to my cable package, but Deutsche Welle has great FREE German learning courses. What a great idea to get my favorite shows, movies, and books in German. I feel like having a German wife is sometimes a disadvantage when trying to learn the language because I use her as a crutch when I get frustrated.

@Elfenstar: I'll be joining my German wife in Heidelberg, she is a German citizen. :)

I previously researched the big 3 handy providers (vodafone, tmobile, O2) but I need some info that the websites don't provide e.g. "vodafone has poor customer serivce", "O2 doesn't get reception in old buildings or up by the castle", "I have an iphone with tmobile and have no problems".

I suppose I don't "need" an iphone but we are paying $350 to cancel our contracts in the U.S. and thought it might be cheaper to unlock and bring them over instead of buying new phones in Hberg. Originally, I was required to get the iphone for school/work and now that I've had a taste, I can't kick the habit. I think having the apps like: maps, german learning, will come in handy (pun intended).

BTW: found a great post regarding handy choices in Germany

@Kat80: clever handle and thanks for being a cheerleader for Heidelberg! I'm not very confident that my x-ray license will transfer. I would probably need to start over with my radiography training. With x-rays being discovered in Germany, I would love to tour the radiology dept at the Uni clinic if anyone has connections...

Posted

Well, then your wife being a German citizen makes things so much easier for you. However, you might face some initial hurdles such as the so-called integration course and perhaps not an immediate issuance of a work permit. The advantage with the integration course is you get cheap, cheap language course that are subsidized.

TT has quite a bit of information on this topic, just search around. However, I found this threads (there might be more), which are a good start:

Come to Germany, don't worry about work for the moment (but sure, look around), focus on learning German for at least half a year before starting working, because once you begin you will not have the time or the energy to learn the language. And it's ok being a trailing spouse and having a little vacation :-)

Posted

All of the providers have poor customer service!!

I have T-moblie for my iphone, reception is fine just about everywhere, I have O2 prepaid data for my ipad, conections are also fine although somewhat slow at times. Your best bet is to wait until you get here & then check out the various plans, O2 has a new prepaid which seems to be reasonable & you get "prizes" each time you top up & additional free minutes/texts. 4G plans are only available on a contract at the moment & expensive.

Posted

We're a lot of trailing husbands here in Heidelberg, so welcome!

To answer your question regaring "handy providers" - a warning, we opted for a KabelBW kit with TV, internet and simcards (voice/data) which gives us free calls within family.

It's the cheapest you can get and usually works OK, however KabelBW cellphone reception in the DKFZ main building does not!

KabelBW does not have their own celltowers, so there must be other carriers that is quite weak too ... if she is in the main building or thereabouts, your wife could check with collegues what works for them. A bit north of TP4 (building) it works OK.

If you never lived abroad before, your in for a ride, but Heidelberg is a great startingpoint - 10% of the populations seems to be lost foreigners ...