Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My proposal for a new bicycle tax

64 posts in this topic

Posted

All bicycles would be registered and tagged. Tags would be color-coded (making it easier for police to identify a bike with expired or invalid tags) and valid for only six months, January-July, July-January (this would force even the people who only use their bikes during the summer months to require tags for the full year). Registration would be free but tags could easily be priced at 60 euro. That's only 10 euro a month.

Posted

Thanks to the person or persons who always see a need to edit my original title, everytime I start I new thread. Guess at least my subtitle is pretty fitting this time though, eh?

Posted

Germans love tags, registration, color coding and expiration dates. throw in a stemple and half of Germany just got a woody...the male half will get a woody when they have finished folding the laundry.

Well said.

Posted

Thanks to the person or persons who always see a need to edit my original title, everytime I start I new thread. Guess at least my subtitle is pretty fitting this time though, eh?

you should be able to see who it is by clicking the edit button at the top of the thread...

Posted

Just ignore her, she is a fucking Buisy Body who thinks she knows best!

Posted

where did you hear of this proposal? Where would a person register and pay? What is the purpose of the registration? Even by German standards it sounds pretty goofy. Why have a six month registration period if most people will need to register for the whole year? This creates more paperwork, more beamter overhead, and thus the net return on the new "tax" is reduced.

And where is one supposed to attach this "tag"? I imagine it would be rather large so that police could easily see if it's expired or not.

Link to source please.

Posted

Don't you realize the OP is fooling us? This is a joke!

Posted

where did you hear of this proposal?

Link to source please.

I think the Local has been did a story on it...

Posted

Apart from being a new tax and revenue raiser, what possible purpose would this tax serve?

Since when did taxes have a definite purpose? How much of the taxes that you pay can be accounted for?

Posted

is it? I have no idea.

Posted

where did you hear of this proposal? Where would a person register and pay? What is the purpose of the registration? Even by German standards it sounds pretty goofy. Why have a six month registration period if most people will need to register for the whole year? This creates more paperwork, more beamter overhead, and thus the net return on the new "tax" is reduced.

And where is one supposed to attach this "tag"? I imagine it would be rather large so that police could easily see if it's expired or not.

Link to source please.

Ideally, all registration would be done online. Tags could be sent via post. They could be about the same size as motorcycle tags.

Posted

One might think a bicycle tax is a joke. It is not in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.At a town hearing about a proposed bicycle path system for the city one tax payer suggested that if the bicyclers want their special road they should pay for it them self via a Bicycle tax. There you have it.

Posted

I thought jokes were supposed to be funny.

My last bike cost 60 euros. Hardly going to pay 10 euros per month in tax for that.

Posted

Well in all honesty the first edit was done by the moderation robot. The second was done by a member. You will have that right as well soon once you hit a certain length of time here and I do believe after a certain amount of posts. Then again I think it is a minute issue to worry about.

Posted

Ideally, all registration would be done online. Tags could be sent via post. They could be about the same size as motorcycle tags.

yeah. all this "could" and "would"...you got nothing.

Posted

Actually, I think the title should read "My proposal for a new bicycle tax". AFAIK the only place in Germany currently discussing the real possibility of a bicycle tax is Leipzig - so I think he pulled his proposal out of... erm... thin air.

Posted

Would you all quit giving the Germans more ideas for more taxes.. It might just be Hamburg now, but

I'm sure other cities would love to do it as well..

Posted

Thanks to the person or persons who always see a need to edit my original title, everytime I start I new thread. G

It would help if they weren't completely illiterate in the first place.

Posted

All bicycles would be registered and tagged. Tags would be color-coded (making it easier for police to identify a bike with expired or invalid tags) and valid for only six months, January-July, July-January (this would force even the people who only use their bikes during the summer months to require tags for the full year). Registration would be free but tags could easily be priced at 60 euro. That's only 10 euro a month.

So I would then pay more annual tax for my bike than for my car? Granted, I ride my bike more than I drive my car but WTF? Someone needs a serious reality check.

Posted

Excellent idea, you could go further and do the same for mopeds. Oh wait ...

Posted

Would you all quit giving the Germans more ideas for more taxes.. It might just be Hamburg now, but

I'm sure other cities would love to do it as well..

Once again, you FAIL HARD at reading comprehension. It isn't "just Hamburg now". It isn't anything. fraufruit just said that as a throwaway comment, based on Mandatory's location.

The mayor of Leipzig suggested a tax of 10 euros per year last February, largely in response to criticism by the ADFC that the city's bike paths hadn't been cleared of snow, but the suggestion was DOA.

You and Mandatory really need to go have some beers together.