Berlin family lives on nearly no money

76 posts in this topic

Posted

Following in the footsteps of Heidemarie Schwermer, Raphael Fellmer, his wife and 18 month old daughter are living with little money other than Kindergeld.

Their story is interesting. Has anyone tried foodsharing.de, or 'grocery store dump diving'? Related story: bin diving in Germany. "Members can log in or use a Smartphone app to see the address of nearby baskets or a pick-up time and place. They can then rate the transaction like ordinary online retailers."

Posted

You can complain about everyone wasting things, but he seems to be a waste of space.

As you say, he is leaching off society without producing anything of need and nothing but hot steam coming out of his mouth. There is much more he could do, produce handmade goods, farming etc...seems he just rather get something for nothing, bumming off the goodwill of others.

For those who go back to basics I can admire, I also don't want to share a toilet with 10 other people, but do or make something that contributes to society.

Posted

The one issue I have with the article is 'Germany has universal healthcare'. True, but it's paid by someone. If not this family, then the taxpayers.

But doesn't everyone have to pay for health insurance? Gardening in exchange for frauenarzt services? Paid for a midwife? Hmm.

Posted

Fellmer, who said he’d held jobs since he was 12 years old

Mmmm. Unless that was in acting - which, well, we can't really call a job... §5 JArbSchG, anyone?

simply depending on the goodwill and excess resources of others [...] including a sailboat that took the trio from the Canary Islands to Brazil in exchange for crew duties

Right. Other places, they call that "hiring on". As in working for a gain. Don't they? It's just that most people would do that with a cargo ship, not a swanky sailboat. And they'd look for perhaps some spending money in addition to Kost und Logis.

Btw, regarding the universal healthcare bit, from an interview he gave taz a couple months ago:

Sie haben eine kleine Tochter. Sind Sie krankenversichert?

Ja, wir bezahlen vom Kindergeld die Familienversicherung für uns drei.

Posted

And they'd look for perhaps some spending money in addition to Kost und Logis.

Vive la différence.

I think it's very brave and adventurous to hitchhike from Europe to México. I'd never do it in a million years! Seems only John G. (and arunadasi?) is so brave, out of the thousands of TTers. ;) OK, Fellmer probably should have brought some condoms along on the 'swanky' boat ride. :lol:

Posted

He's planning to move his family to a commune in Italy apparently btw. Guess the church asylum he's living in isn't swanky enough.

Posted

Well, he is becoming [in]famous, and we are not. So I guess that makes it easy to poke jabs at him. :P

I watched "Brüno" last night for the first time. The part where he is trying figure out something to do for 'humanity' so that he could acquire fame was pretty funny. But "Borat" was WAY better.

Interesting that no one is commenting on the saving of grocery store food from being thrown out, rather making snarky remarks about the barefoot douchebag. :lol:

I do wonder how much fresh bakery bread gets thrown out daily in Germany...

Posted

Well, at least in Bayern the stale Semmeln get turned into Knoedelbrot and then cooked into lovely Semmelknoedel. Just toss some of that Knoedelbrot in my direction and I'll head over to the Cooking Today thread. :rolleyes:

Posted

In his defense, he [...] works 40-50 hours/week [...] Am I therefore not producing anything of value?

Looking through past interviews he's made, he's actually transcended that Walden Two stage. He wants to not tag work with a value. Of course in the same interviews he betrays that concept by saying he's exchanged work for work or goods.

Posted

Mmmm. Unless that was in acting - which, well, we can't really call a job... §5 JArbSchG, anyone?

He won't have had a legal contract but that doesn't mean he didn't have a job. On the weekends I sat in a little office and dispatched taxis, me being 13. Hours were counted on a loose sheet of paper and the money was handed over directly.