Inexpensive gyms and fitness centers

77 posts in this topic

Posted

McFit offer membership for €15.90 per month, but you're supposed to sign up for a minimum of 12 months. Presumably there's a get-out clause in there somewhere which would say you can cancel if you are leaving the country or somesuch. There usually is.

Also, as with most places you can have your first session free. Actually, if you will only be around a couple of months you could probably just make a list of all the gyms around and avail of a couple of months free one-off sessions. You should be spending most of your evenings discovering the joys of Munich beer instead of slogging away at the gym. Even if you want to go three times a week it should still be able to do for free.

Posted

Keydeck, i think it is a "get-out" that has been provided by the courts and not written into the contract. If you move house to another area you can give one month's notice, irrelevant of the length of contract.

Nautilus fitness are also very cheap (Frankfurter Ring and CHiemgauerstrasse). No contracts but you pay up front for 12 or 24 months.

Posted

Winegirl has just joined McFit for 3 months. As long as you can take an official letter in from, say, your university saying that you will only be staying for 3 months then you are fine...

Whatever you do you normally need some official letterhead wth company / university stamp or whatnot..

Oh yes, and it has to be signed by at least 15 living relatives and Angela Merkel, in triplicate. Signing in blood is optional

Posted

isn't there a special place that's cheap where students can go for about 10p a year?

Katrina definitely knows about this I remember her posting something about it!

Posted

If you are enrolled or working at one of Munichs universities, you have access the sport facilities of Univ. of Munich, located somewhere near Olympiapark.

For the fitness center, you have to buy the general ticket "H" and the fitness ticket "F" which adds to 37.50 € per semester. ("S" stands for swimminghall, "K" for climbing hall")

Anyone ever been there and can give further advice/comments?

General information ZHS

Fees

(websites in German)

Posted

zee posted it for me Moonboot. Another option would be the Olympia pool center which also has gym usage. Check their site Olympiapark München.

Posted

Hello all. How much do these places cost? My german knowledge is too little to navigate myself fast in the websites. I am also looking for an inexpensive gym/ work out place. I am a student in TU Munchen by the way.

Cheers,

Tika

Posted

im at MCFIT but its too far out need something much closer to the city

does anyone know about Munich Health thay have a club in S-Tor and Deutsche theater?

Topics merged by admin

Posted

may b i can offer u soemthign. i just signed my membership with bodyup in Dec. its a two year contract 56euro/month. I will not b using it from about the mid of feb as i'll b moving out to frankfurt. u can check their website www.bodyup.de any of the 6 centres can b used with this membership. will u b interested?

Posted

56 is a bit step up from the 16 that McFit charge.. there is a McFit at Donnersbergerbruke, not exactly outside the city..

Posted

I suggest not going to "mini"s gym as it is clear that he got some of his fingers chopped off using the heavier weights.

Posted

Just fingers? :ph34r:

sorry, couldn't resist... it seems that he is actually a she

Posted

Be aware that McFit may charge you only 16.90 per month but in the contract you can't bring anything to drink from outside and to take a shower you have to pay 50 cent into the machine.

Considering that expenses for someone that will take a shower there every time is not so cheap as it first look...

One big positive is that is 24 hours open.

One big negative is that is very crowded.

Posted

You can bring your own drink.. I do it every time.. showers are 50c, thats true.. but really, for 17 euros a month, you can't complain..

Posted

The manager of Mcfit near Frankfurting is very rude. He refused to help me with my benchpress. When I forgot my card, he didn't even let me in.

I admit the price of Mcfit is unbeatable.

Posted

McFit is always full of people with water bottles they've bought from outside. There's a thread on this elsewhere, where it's pointed out that most people don't bother with the showers.

Posted

I always bring my own drink. It is not a problem at McFit.

Posted

There is a inexpensive option for all gym freaks.

I have just heard about it but there must be a gym inside of olympic swimming hall at the olympia-park.

For using is no need to sign up an contract.

The expense are about Euro 3.60 per lesson.

Should be free weights and circle machines.

Posted

Yes, there is a gym inside the swimming hall. I think it is free if you have a swimming card or something like that from University. I trained there once. Not too bad, but it is underground, not much fresh air.

Posted

I was rather excited when I heard there was a training room at the Olympia Swimming pool. HOWEVER ... as it turns out the room is only open for a few hours per day. I'm a morning gym-person, and it only opens for 1 hour at 10:45am for "Senioren training" ;) ...

It's not really a viable option for anyone who is serious about training on a regular basis, including weekends.

Posted

Hi,

I am moving to Munich in February and wanted to ask for an advice about a basic cheap gyms. (free weights, benches.. etc.. no fancy machines or trainers)

How much would they cost? Found some online for about EU50 per month... CRAZYY! :)

Thanks,

Viktor

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Search, search, search on Toytown.

But McFit comes to mind first.

Posted

I saw th McFit gym thread and some other suggestions. I guess I was looking for more of a local gym...something not so well known.

Location is not a problem as long as I like it. I need piece of mind ;)