Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Les Miserables 2013 film

26 posts in this topic

Posted

I would like to see this film, but I wonder if it will be the same situation as with other foreign language films here, and be dubbed? Dubbing the singing could be very difficult and I was hoping that they might subtitle the whole film. Of course they may dub the spoken text and leave the singing alone.

Or am I best seeking out an OV? Has anyone seen it yet?

Posted

Where do you live bobD? In Munich, Cinema-Munich shows the original version.

Posted

They dub the spoken text and leave the singing. I saw it in English in Canada and last night in German.

I find the only-dubbing-spoken-text to be rather strange, because if there is a sentence between songs (Les Mis is mostly sung), it switches languages just for that sentence, which breaks the "spell" of the show.

Also, Russell Crowe can't sing, and I would have preferred them to dub his singing with a professional German singer in German :)

Posted

I would like to see this film, but I wonder if it will be the same situation as with other foreign language films here, and be dubbed? Dubbing the singing could be very difficult and I was hoping that they might subtitle the whole film. Of course they may dub the spoken text and leave the singing alone.

Or am I best seeking out an OV? Has anyone seen it yet?

I haven't seen it, but both of the local cinemas that I have looked that are offering it say it is in German for the spoken bits and the singing is in English with subtitles. I would assume it is the same elsewhere.

Posted

The singing is in English---and the subtitles are only for the parts that the producers thought Germans would have more trouble understanding. I found their choices of when to subtitle rather strange.

Posted

ok, thanks all.

I might search out an OV in Frankfurt or if I must, the German text version might also work.

Posted

I saw it on the first night it was released in the UK, English all the way through. Absolutely loved it. The audience gave it a standing ovation. I would never ever go to see any Germanified version of this movie. THe only other language it could work in is French, indeed, it should really have been in French with English subtitles.

The grande finale Do You hear the People SIng is particularly stirring -- gives me goosebumps (and makes me want to cry!!

Posted

I have listened to the French version recordings a long time ago. The music is REALLY written for French and French intonation patterns. The French lyrics fit the tunes like a glove.

Posted

I agree. It somehow struck a false note to hear the characters, who were supposed to be French, speaking/singing in Cockney. Still I loved it.

Posted

The English recordings of the stage version alas also does it in Cockney (or whatever approximation of the accent is comprehensible to the audience). Seems to be a decision of the original creators to do it that way.

Posted

I saw the London stage version about 20 years ago! Loved it then too. But then, I saw it because I loved the book.

Posted

À la volonté du peuple (For the will of the people)

Je veux faire don d'ma volonté, (I want to make a gift of my will)

S'il faut mourir pour elle, (If it is necessary to die for it [the will of the people])

Moi, je veux être le premier... (I myself want to be the first...)

Posted

I know. The song is magnificent in French. I just watched it on YouTube, with English translation. I could hear it over and over.

Posted

I saw it on the first night it was released in the UK, English all the way through. Absolutely loved it. The audience gave it a standing ovation.

I saw the film entirely in English too, but the audience and myself weren't overly rapt with it enough to stand up and clap. In fact many felt just the same as me: It was great to begin with and then it kinda wore us down. The same straining voices from Huge Action, And Thataway and Rusty Croak got to be exhausting after a while.

Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter were fun, as well as Anne's "I Dreamed a Dream" moment, and I loved the production and photography, but it all got to be the same old, same old after a while. I still have a fondness for the Liam Neeson, Claire Danes and Geoffrey Rush non-musical version of Les Misérables from Bille August. :rolleyes:

The 1998 version:

Posted

There are about 6 lines in German, you can deal.

I saw it last night... well, I saw the Broadway cast on opening night a gazillion years ago with Colm Wilkenson in the lead (he plays the priest in the movie, which I thought very touching). I missed Colm's incredible voice in the role. I love Hugh, but... he sounded a bit like Ethel Mermen after a major 3 week bender. Acting was great though. I disagree 100% with FuzzyTony. Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter sucked. Talk about a waste of reel. They are suppose to be funny--comic relief.. they were not. You'd have to see a real production to get what I'm talking about.

It's a beautiful movie... a wrist slitter... really amazing production values. I forgot how morose the story and music are. I appreciate the actors efforts and think they basically rose the occasion mostly (except Russel.. what were they thinking?) But given it's basically a faux opera (no spoken text) and many of the singers had no musical experience, I am not entirely sure it really worked the way it should have. But it was a delight to hear all the music again and found it an interesting (if not always entirely successful) choice to have the singers sing live--but I couldn't get karaoke out of my mind because I'm sure there wasn't a full orchestra on set.

It's definitely worth seeing--although, if you have seen it on stage, you maybe disappointed.

Posted

Yep, I've also read somewhere that there are only 3 lines or so that are spoken.

Posted

Cinestar Metropolis in Frankfurt has OV films, but not every film so you'll have to check the website first.

Posted

I love Hugh, but... he sounded a bit like Ethel Mermen after a major 3 week bender.

love it.

Posted

Here in Mainz it's on Omu - English all the way with German subtitles. I found it patchy. Russell Crowe really can't sing, but when he forgot to try to sing and just acted he was good.

I loved Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter, funny how different people enjoy different things! I didn't think much of Anne Hathaway, didn't think her voice was up to "I Dreamed A Dream", but I guess I was judging her against Patti LuPone who played Fantine in the original West End production and who was amazing. I also thought that Eponine was excellent.

I'd love to see the French production.

Posted

I loved Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter

I agree 100% with you, Lyra.