Any Glasgow Alumni or Scots in Berlin?

55 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

I've been here since last autumn and am looking for anyone from Scotland for a bit of beer, banter, hanging out or whatever. Glasgow uni alumna would be very cool as thinking about starting an alumni association here but anyone from the bonny lands should get in touch! Would be cool to hear from you!

Posted

Hey there I'm a Scot from Glasgow and have been in Germany for 4 years now, at first we were in Braunschweig (really nice place) then we moved here, Rostock. I'm a bit far away but would be up for a day trip to Berlin. Yeah there are not many of us around although I have met some great Americans, Canadians, English and English speaking Germans, so at least I understand the language!!! Anyway hope this helps and would like to meet up and talk a load of mince!!! I SO miss the Glasgow banter!!!

Take care

The Scots

Posted

I went to Glasgow Caley, so sadly can't join your elitist organisation. :P

Have you heard of a pub called Das Gift in Neukölln? It's owned by a Scottish couple, stocks Scottish beer, Irn Bru and has a regular haggis evening (as well as roll and sausage).

What's not to like?

http://dasgift.tumblr.com/

Posted

Hello yirself!

What a great idea, I would be happy to have an evening or a meet up with any kind of fellow Scots.

It's just so nice to speak your own language with 'Yir ain folk' without slowing it down to be understood. And having a laugh at wir self over a beer.

So I would put my name down for this meet up, And it would be great if the Rostock crew could come through.

Hope I get a chance to meet you all .

Bellafran

Posted

I'm also interested, I'm from Aberdeen.

If we can gather enough interest then possibly we can organise something for the near future. Das Gift seems like a good idea, we could choose that as a meet up point.

I've been going to the Tuesday / Thursday meet ups and yet to discover one of my own...do any of the above attend these meetings??

Matthew

Posted

Hey cool, thanks for all the responses guys...seems like there are one or two of us about! "Das Gift" would also have been my suggestion as a cool place to go and the staff seem mainly to be from Glasgow too! I actually live in Neukölln a matter of 5 mins from the place.Would be great to see you from Rostock too and meet the Berliners. Haha never mind, Caley, Strath, Glasgow, Dundee, wherever, it's more about the banter really :)When is everyone normally free then?

Posted

Being a family bloke and living out of the city, I probably lack the spontaneity of the younger blades so would need a few days' warning of any meetups!

They have a pub quiz on a Monday night in Das Gift, so would at least give us something to do if the conversation dries up.

How about a week today?

Posted

Quiz night next Monday is perfect for me, seems like a starter so will put my name down for that.

If anyone is also keen to meet spontaneously prior to this then I'm keen!

Posted

Oh brill! So we have a meeting then, that's great.

Yeah das gift sounds the perfect place, and a quiz night thrown in for good measure.

Really looking forward to meeting you lot.

Bellafran

Posted

Aw ace idea!How is everyone set on Mondays? I am up for anytime though can't make next Monday before about 8, not sure when the quiz starts there...we can keep on touch here or I am also on Facebook - Paul Stuart Detto for those of you who have that. Would be cool to get something sorted soon and catch any of you guys whenever. P

Posted

The quiz starts at 9pm, but probably best getting there a wee bit earlier to secure a table...

Posted

Noted!

If we are all in agreement then meet on Monday say 8'clock? We can get a table there and save a seat for Paul.

Matty Yeats on Facebook if you want to add me.

Posted

Hi guys,

popped an email to Das Gift who said that most people arrive around 8-8:30 pm and the quiz starts somewhere between 9 and 9:30, should be easy to find space and apparently a cash prize which would be sweet!

Posted

Great stuff, I'll be there for 8.

Already making plans to "work from home" on Tuesday!

Posted

I wouldn't worry, more chance of a Pope resigning than us getting independence.

Footnote: my wife's German, so at least I'll be fine. Read that statement however you want! ;)

Posted

Hey there folks,

hope you all have a great time when you meet up, unfortunatly Mondays not good for me (live over two hours away and have a son to look after) is there any chance we could do somehting over a weekend, please, please, please. Gauny dae it fur me. Keep me posted on how the meet up goes (I got skype!!!).

What about in summer you all get tents and camp out on the beach up here, that would be excellent (yes well maybe getting just a wee bit carried away).

Aw ra best.

TheScots

Posted

Haha well I hope visa issues won't be taking place before Monday. Liking the creative juices flowing here , I'd be up for a wee weekend trip somewhere down the line, not explored far beyond Berlin and would be keen. That's something that could be arranged maybe. Also, if you're ever over this way at the weekend? @ Kludgie, with you on that, took a 'late shift' for Tuesday :)

Posted

So 8 o'clock tonight...how to indentify each other? :blink:

Posted

Good question, maybe wear special hats? ;)

If that plan fails, I'm wearing a hideous (my wife's words) light brownish chunky wool jumper and should be perfectly conspicuous.

Posted

I'll have on a pink jumper and a vodka and coke in front of me !, lol

Will try and get a bit earlier for something to eat.

Speak to you all soon

Bellafran.

Posted

Wish I gad some kind of flag/mascot to hand now...need to see if I will make it along, depending on when I get away as today is a bit crazy, hope so though. If I do, I will currently be approaching anyone with a brown wool jumper on and garbling away in Scots...Paul

Posted

Haha, hideous jumper it is then...will keep an eye out.

I'll be wearing a black Berghaus jacket...24 years olds (if that helps).

Posted

Typical Aberdonian - wearing a 24 year old jacket!

:P:D

2B (who was born in Forrester Hill Hospital)