GEZ - what to do, if I owe them money?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

I am in a bit of a situation - I moved to Saarbrucken in November 2012 to live together with my boyfriend. When I registered at the Rathaus no one told me anything about GEZ and therefore I didn't know that I had to register and pay for the thing. Because I have no account in a German bank, I am letting my bf pay all the bills - rent, electricity, Internet. And because we have neither TV nor Radio, I never though that there is more to it...

Well, the thing is that now with the new policy, I don't really have to register - my bf will be paying this as well. But I have to, somehow, pay for November and December. I went to the Rathaus again and explained to them, with my crappy German, my situation, but the Information couldn't really help me - the woman there just gave me a registration blank for the new system.

Any ideas what can I do about this issue? Can I register for GEZ with an old date (November 2012), pay the tax, and then de-register (because my bf will be paying it)? And can I do this online?

Posted

Just what did prevent you from reading up on the current GEZ Thread, that clearly explains what you need to do?

Is proper reading out of fashion these days??

Posted

Why do you think that you have to pay for November and December 2012?

Posted

You don't need to pay for November and December. If your boyfriend is going to pay it, only he should register from January 2013.

Posted

If you are living with your BF and he is paying the GEZ fees already, then you do not need to register to pay anything. This new payment is per household. As for Nov and Dec. just tell them you never had a TV so they can go screw off.

Posted

Thank you all!

Yes, I am new and I couldn't find anything related to my very specific case. I think that I have to pay for Nov & Dec because the lady at the Rathaus told me so. Well, I should admit that she didn't seem to be very informed herself. And my bf found it convenient to tell me, that they may charge me to pay 1000E because I wasn't paying my tax. To put it simply - I panicked.

But the way I understand it, I don't need to contact GEZ and worry about it unless they send me a letter?

Posted

If the lady at the Rathaus told you then it just has to be true. :blink:

Posted

One important thing to remember - no matter where you live or what you do, is to never pre-empt a bill.

If anyone thinks that you owe them money, then wait for them to tell you in the form of a bill. Otherwise, you're just giving your hard-earned cash away.

Nobody, not even the GEZ can fine you €1000 because you didn't pay for something that they haven't billed you for...

Posted

You should have registered and pad for November and December if you had a TV/Radio/PC.

However, since the new system started in January 2013 there is an amnesty for non-payers of the GEZ up to that point, so they won't chase you for not paying.

Posted

Run, get out now, keep running, don't look back or the GEZ will get you, live off the grid it is your only hope of survival, also don't sing or hum or Gema will get you

Posted

Hahaha, funniest thing I've heard all week :D