Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Starkbierfest Munich 2013

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I have just heard about the Starkbierfest and I have a friend in town. I was thinking I would go on Saturday but I know literally nothing about how it works. Has anyone got any advice?

I have searched the board, but there isn't anything for this year...

Posted

Whoops! Obviously I meant 2013 but am unable to edit the title, it seems...

Posted

Here, I fixed it for you... :)

Don't drink more than 2 Mass even if you're not used to it -- and then please post something here immediately after coming home, unless you decide to post from your phone on the way home, which scores double points.

Posted

Yes, I may have posted in haste. The older threads seem to have more information that I was expecting. I think Nockherberg is the way forward.

One question: does anyone have experience from previous years of whether table reservations are necessary on Saturday? The guide suggests it isn't as packed as oktoberfest but that captures a spectrum of business levels..

Posted

Never really had an issue founding a couple spaces but if you want to find a table for 10 people then it might be a tad harder

if the weather is good then a lot of people sit outside so it is easier, reservation is easy enough anyway

Posted

OT: I find it pretty funny that the partial and full quotes on my last post seem to be drawing from different sources/databases... since the partial quote shows no strikethrough or bolding, but the full quote does. Also, that strikethrough is only made available in editing a post. Oh, old technology...

Back on topic: Try to live close-by and downhill from N'berg. Makes the return trip easier.

Posted

Copied from: http://www.destination-munich.com/munich-strong-beer-festival.html

The details - Salvator Ausschank at Paulaner am Nockherberg

The oldest, loudest and proudest Munich Strong Beer Festival, Paulaner’s Festsaal has room for up to 2500 partygoers.

Next on: In 2013 the festival will run from Friday, 01 March to Sunday, 17 March.

Open: Weekdays from 2pm to 10.30pm, weekends from 11am to 10.30pm.

Location and directions: Hoch Strasse 77 81541, Munich

Take U-Bahn No. 1 or 2 to Kolumbusplatz, from where it’s a 15min walk up the hill to the brewery. Or you can take Tram 27 to “Ostfriedhof” from where it’s a 3min walk down the hill.

Phone: 089 4 59 91 30

Reservations: You can reserve a table by phone or fax. Here’s a link to a reservation page on the Nockherberg website.

Cost: Entry costs €2. If you arrive after 5pm (or 3pm on weekends) entry will cost about €9, but you’ll also get a voucher for one beer. A one-litre Keferloher will cost about €8.

Munich Strong Beer Festival at the Löwenbräukeller

Next on: Dates for the next Starkbierfest at the Löwenbräukeller are February 22 through to March 23, 2013.

Open: From 6pm until 11pm.

Location and directions: Nymphenburger Strasse 2, Am Stiglmaier Platz, 80335 Munich It's about a 15min walk north of the Hauptbahnhof along Dachauer Strasse. Or you can take U Bahn No. 1 to Stieglmaier Platz.

Phone: You can also order tickets over the phone 089 5 47 26 69 16.

Cost: Entry costs €16.50

Other top picks for Starkbier tasting

Munich Strong Beer Festival events also take place at:

Augustiner Keller

Arnulf Strasse 52

80335 Munich

Phone 089 59 43 93

Unionsbräu Haidhausen

Einstein Strasse 42

81675 Munich

Phone 089 47 76 77

Forschungsbrauerei

The only Starkbier maker which doesn’t stick an “–ator” on its potent brew, here it’s called St James.

Unterhachinger Strasse 76

81737 Munich

Phone 089 67 011 69

Posted

Note that the Unionsbräu closed recently. I don't know if it has reopened under a new name yet. But www.unionsbraeu.de now takes you to the Hirschau, which is where the people that ran the Unionsbräu have moved to.

For the Löwenbräkeller, it's brilliant from Wednesday till Friday. (except Friday 9th of March) as those are the nights the Jetzendorfer Backyard Musicians play (from 9pm til the end). And they are well worth it.

Posted

The Löwenbräu event is good, but be aware that that price is only the entrance fee, it doesn't include any beer or food.

Posted

Munich Strong Beer Festival at the Löwenbräukeller

Next on: Dates for the next Starkbierfest at the Löwenbräukeller are February 14 through to March 15, 2013.

Addendum:

I saw the banner above Löwenbräukeller last night advertising the dates as 22.02.13 to 23.03.13 and this seems to be confirmed by their own website

Posted

I had that in a post above, just copied and pasted and was too lazy to check :)