Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Good areas to live in Hamburg

59 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I'll be moving to Hamburg next week and I've been given two areas to live in: Hamburg-Rotherbaum and Hamburg-City, On Dalmannkai.

I'll be working for Barclaycard, so I know these two areas are a way out from work. Looking on Google Maps, I can see Rotherbaum is right behind the University campus, and not really any idea about Hamburg-City. I'm looking for a somewhat quiet area but that's very close to the pubs, bars and things to do. A close gym is also essential!

Anyone have any opinions of these two areas? Cheers!!

Posted

Where are you moving from, perhaps someone could draw some comparisons?

Personally I would choose Rotherbaum which has established bars and restaurants and an active social scene coupled with a lot of green space / peace and quiet. Dalmannkai's part of the HAfen City under development, many bars and restuarants but often empty with little atmosphere much of the time.

Posted

Also, if I am assuming correctly that you will be working in Bahrenfeld, if the Rotherbaum location is within easy reach of Dammtor S-Bahn station, it'll be an easy commute.

The other area is not 'Hamburg City' but Hafencity, and personally I wouldn't like to live there, for the reasons quotes by groovelax.

Posted

If the OP is going to work in Bahrenfeld I would not be looking to live in the centre - but its horses for courses*.

*Nowadays this would be the main course...

Posted

I can recommend Altona/Ottensen some good bars and night life and easy reach for Bahrenfeld.

Posted

I'm no measure because I think Bergedorf is convenient for Bahrenfeld :)

I'd choose Rotherbaum too (if I could afford it)

Posted

If I was you, I would 100% choose Rotherbaum , very central location, good train links to everywhere, near the Alster, etc etc.

Posted

I would recommend Rotherbaum over Hafencity. Since you mentioned that you would prefer somewhere quiet, it can get quite busy in Hafencity during some weekends such as Hafenfest and Cruise Days.

Posted

Many thanks for all your replies guys! I'm coming from London as a 21 year old who's looking to live near a lively area, but quiet enough to get a good night's sleep!

I've got a few other choice areas come in too: Ottensen, Altona, and Bahrenfeld. These are much closer to work but not as nice apartments, so I'm stuck once again!!

Thanks again for all comments

Posted

Bahrenfeld is quiet... once the industrial traffic stops; it's a mix of housing and (small) industry, so lorries start early in the morning and stop around 8pm. At night there's not much going on. Altona, the area rather than the Bezirk (i.e. borough), and Ottensen are busy, lively, multi-cultural areas, in high demand (cf. Notting Hill? -- people that know London well, please correct me).

Posted

I live in Canary Wharf right now, so very close to work, lively, but can be quiet on the weekends. It seems like Altona would be a good shout because it's close and busy...

Just wondering how much effort it'll be to trek from Rotherbaum to Bahrenfield...just out of curiosity, is the Alster a nice place?

Posted

The Alster is a fantastic place!

I have never been to Bahrenfield, but have no desire to go there either.

I was looking on the website:-

http://www.hvv.de/en/index.php

http://geofox.hvv.de/jsf/showSearchResult.seam?LANGUAGE=en_GB&language=en_GB&cid=8177

looks like the travel time is about 30mins

but go to the website and have a go at plugging in from - to and time of leaving in morning etc.

Posted

just adding my vote for Rotherbaum - Grindel area. lots going on.

Posted

Thanks for all your thoughts everyone-I'm thinking to go for the place near Alster!

It's near the University so if anyone has any thoughts about that, it'd be much appreciated!

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hey everyone,

I am moving to Hamburg in around 4 weeks time for a new job here working for a game developer in Bahrenfeld.

This will be my first time working and living outside of England.

Firstly, I am looking for ideal locations to live. I will be renting and I am happy to pay up to around 700Euros a month which would hopefully include bills (electric, heat, wifi etc)

I would ideally like to be close (walking distance) to the company. I don't mind doing a 30 minute walk to work for example. However I haven't personally succeeded in finding any studio apartments or flats that are too close and are reasonably priced. However this has only been from Google links to rental websites.

So does anyone know of ant areas locally to my desired area?

Or if needs be, I am happy to rent a room, but I would prefer a place to myself.

Many thanks and I look forward to becoming a part of this community :)

Posted

Hi there,

Firstly...welcome to Germany & Hamburg.

Congrats on your new Job as well..

I have been in Hamburg for 3 years & moved to other place & will be back in Hamburg from April this year.

Finding Flats in Hamburg is always tough. I myself am looking for one.

Here is some info about finding the flats in Hamburg

http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Apartment_rental

The rents in Hamburg are pretty high so, either you have to decide if you can travel atleast 20-30min via public transport or pay a little high to live near by your company.

Bharenfeld is quite a good location to live.

use http://www.hvv.de/en/index.php to calculate your distance from x to your office.(Its in English)

To get more official information use http://www.hamburg.de(also available in English)

GUD LUCK...!

Any more info...?

Posted

Hi and welcome to TT.

Please use the search function - top right of the page - to find threads where your questions have already been asked and answered. A simple search will give you the threads with your key words in the thread title. From there, you can on to a Google-powered search, which will give you all the threads with your key words anywhere in the thread. Trust me, most of your questions can be answered this way, because - surprise! - you're not the first to have moved to Hamburg.

The previous poster gave you a good link regarding looking for accommodation - best to read it and heed the advice, as there are some major differences to what you may be used to from back home. The TT Wiki page he linked to also gives tips on where to look for accommodation, and vocabulary help to understand ads. Unfortunately, the rental market in Hamburg is extremely tight, so finding a place you can afford can take a while.

You may need to settle for temporary accommodation at first, as most landlords will want to meet you first, before deciding whether they will rent to you. And honestly, you really shouldn't rent something sight unseen, as it could well turn out to be a place you really wouldn't want to live in. Sight unseen is also a speciality of scammers who operate on accommodation sites. Beware of scammers offering you an amazing apartment at an unbelievably cheap price - if it's too good to be true, then it usually is just that. See the threads Beware of accommodation scams and Apartment rental scam suspected for some hallmarks of scam accommodation adverts.

To find temporary accommodation, google Wohnen auf Zeit (short-term accommodation) or Ferienwohnung (holiday flat) - both will offer furnished flats, with a Ferienwohnung you can generally negotiate on the price if you stay longer than a week.

Also, get your employer to put the word out, via the intranet, bulletin board or whatever, that you are searching for something, many times it's "someone who knows someone who..." that will get you a flat. And do try the local newspapers as well, once you get here - or get your GF to check. Accommodation ads are usually in the print editions on Wednesdays and Saturdays in normal newspapers, sometimes other days if it's one of the "free" newspapers. Some of these print ads will be in the online edition as well, but quite a few of the print ads - particularly those from private persons as opposed to agencies - are not online. Get the paper early, and start ringing from 8:00 am onward to arrange a viewing. Mailing people (if you find something online) generally doesn't produce much in terms of results, as it really is a seller's market and thus people often concentrate on the phone calls and responding to mails falls by the wayside.

BTW, public transport in Hamburg is good, you will have no problem getting from point A to point B (or biking it) even if you find a place that is not *that* close to work.

Posted

Rotherbaum is best - if you need to know more about the area let me know...

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi Hamburg Toytowners,

I am a young female professional moving from the UK to Hamburg this August to start work in an organisation located in HafenCity. I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice about good districts to move to. I am on a very limited budget (max 350 euros per month) and am looking to find a "zwischenmiete" (flat share) in a safe area relatively close to work.

I have been told to avoid St Pauli but was interested in Eimsbuttel. I am keen to find somewhere with a bustling atmosphere and where I can meet other young people/ students/ grads.

Any thoughts on good districts/ areas to look into?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Vikki.

Posted

Thank you for joining Toytown Germany, a forum that answers a plethora of questions any ex-pat might have. The Search function (top right of your monitor) is invaluable for finding such questions and answers. Do not hesitate to use it, make yourself familiar with the other features of the forum, enjoy your stay in Germany.

Posted

Hiya, you don't say how long you're staying ('Zwischenmiete' means renting someone's room while they are away - could be anything from a month to maybe even a year). You wouldn't find anything under €350 unless you were very very lucky, and then it certainly wouldn't be somewhere central. But apart from looking at accommodation websites, I'd suggest you join 'Girl Gone International - Hamburg' on facebook - a large bunch of girls from all over the world. With a bit of luck, you might even find accommodation through them. All the best!

Posted

I maybe moving to Eppendorf, is that area any good?

Thanks

Posted

Depends upon your requirements! List a few.

Your profile states that you are in Hamburg - just go there & take a look.

Posted

I'll have to change my profile to moving to hamburg...

requirements hmm standard stuff. is it clean, safe, lively etc.

Posted

I'll have to change my profile to moving to hamburg...

requirements hmm standard stuff. is it clean, safe, lively etc.