Explosion in rental flat, no Hausratversicherung

81 posts in this topic

Posted

That´s awful, Nick...sorry to hear that.

Just one point: your title says " NO Hausratversicherung " but your post asks about renter´s insurance ( American term for Hausratversicherung or do you mean the owner´s insurance? ). If you have it, it certainly should pay 100% of the damage, maximum the sum you´re insured for.

Do you have it or not???

If the damage was caused externally - from another part of the building for any reason, then either the owner´s insurance or a neighbour´s liability insurance would likely be responsible for compensation.

EDIT: ah yes, Rob. I´ve reread the post.

Posted

I haven´t got a clue about the insurance issue, but having just read the story you linked to, I am so happy for you that your daughter survived.

At the end of the day you might well have lost all of your possessions, but you still have each other!

@ John, I took that to mean the insurance of the people upstairs...

Posted

If it can be proven that your landlord or landlay at fault is then yes otherwise no.But as it says in the newpaper article they will find out what happened

Posted

Joining in with a bang, he :)

To the point : wait for the forensic decision, then you have a chance to claim something.

Luckily it did not further impact you than what happened to materials and pets (it's sad enough already...) but realistically you have little chance to get the insurance to pay. New beginning?

Posted

If someone else is deemed liable - i.e. responsible - for the explosion, then they (or their insurance) will have to cover the damages. If not, I'm afraid the landlord's Wohngebäudeversicherung (building insurance) will not cover the contents of your home (or theirs, for that matter). That's what the Hausratsversicherung (renter's insurance) is for.

Good luck.

Posted

Yes, that´s right, El Jeffo. Mind you, if the landlord is to blame for any reason, he/should have a Vermieter-Haftpflicht insurance, which could then step in.

Posted

Mind :

Aerosol spray cans are usually filled with either butane or propane as propellant . And since every household has more or less of them stored somewhere (often under the sink) there is always a high risk of an explosion when a fire breaks out for whatever reason or when leaking gas gets in contact with an electric spark.

Posted

the somekind of gas coming through the waste water system "only our speculation" but our biggest one, if that was the case, would the plumber of the waste water system be liable for bad instalation, or someone else for there being gas in that system, our other idea is that maybe there was gas in the chimney, maybe the boiler went out but gas kept running through, then made its way out the firestove we had in the living room that hadnt been lit for nearly a year, we really doubt that someone through a bomb in for some reason, and that our daguhter spelt a strong smell when she came in makes us convinced it was some kind of gas, if anyone could shed light on the possibility of any of those ideas or have there own, id be really interested, were all pritty stumped as to how this happend, im just certain that it wasnt anything we had that exploded, i know we have to wait to find out what the police say before we can really do anything insurance claiming wise, but no matter how often people say be patient, dosnt stop you thinking about it, and not understanding alot of the new words you have never heard people saying before when trying to overhear what people are talking about between another makes me feel like im only understanding half of the way things work here, even tho my otherhalf does a very good job trying to make sure i understand things, god bless her, lived in germany for just over a year now fyi, but have visited here nearly every year for two weeks since i was born, so did come with some basic german, but you can only learn so much in a year so this last week and a half have really been making me make use of what i have learned so far. any ideas, questions, please say/ask, have looked through these forums often in the last year for information, ashamed its taken this to get me to join in with you peeps on the forums.

Thanks

Posted

Excellent points by 2B.

Just a thought: is your place actually habitable at all? I don´t know where you´d ask but do you need emergency accommodation?

Posted

2bornot2b, its like you knew what i was going to ask next, thanks. sounds like good advice, unfortunatly, Rechtschutz-versicherung, is another new word for me, but as soon as we find a new place to live, hausratsversicherung and haplichversicherung are on the immidiate list of things to do

Posted

I hope you´re at least health insured already, Nick! :D Sorry, mate..couldn´t resist!

You sound remarkably calm and phlegmatic after what you´ve been through - my admiration.

Posted

we are being put up in the basement of family, its comfortable enough till we can find another place, and there being great hosts, weve had so much great help with offers of things for our next flat, and cash donations from friends and family and complete strangers, people here are unbelivably nice, im sure even if we dont get anything from insurance things will be okay, but it would be nice to be able to replace most of the things we lost in one swoop without having to save for them all over again, if it can be proven that someone is to blame or has responcibility, were so sure that it cant have been our fault, even if all hairspray and deo and paint and everything like that we had was in a pile on fire, it couldnt explode with that much force, the rolladen, window rollers, from the terrace window in the living room were found 8-10meters away in the neighbors garden, and theres glass and plastic shrapnel in the fence 6 meters away from the terrace window that blew completley out, thats one hell of a explotion, the whole house shook violently and it was heard from over 3km away, its completly unbelivable really

Posted

i DO have krankenkasse versicherung with AOK! =) so im not a complete depp, just half of one i guess

Posted

Thanks john, im still in abit of shock tbh, it is getting better though, i started a new job today so was able to take my mind off things for a while

Posted

You mention that you had a gas fire or boiler in the living room...

What sort was it? Did you supply it or is it part of the rented prpoerty?

If it was part of the property, when did the Landlord last have it inspected?

Posted

If the insurance of the landlord pays for it, I don't think it'll happen fast, unfortunately.

Even if you had had your own insurance, you might now be arguing with them if they should pay because they would probably try to pin it on the landlord, whose insurance would try to pin it back on yours.

Posted

sorry, it was a wood stove, not lit for nearly a year, the gas line goes only from outside into the basement, then into the boiler which is also in the basement and gas pipes go nowhere else in the house

Posted

That is true, Leon. Obviously, the reports on what really happened have to come out first. He said/she said, he did/she did etc. It is too early to say who is to blame.

Sometimes...the insurance goes 50-50.

We had the case a couple of years ago when our client on his bike ran over an old lady in Berlin. She wasn´t totally kosher, either, because she came out from behind a parked van ( having seen her husband on the other side of the road ) and didn´t look where she was going.

Three months later ( her time in hospital ), the police decided both were equally to blame..the insurance of our client and the old lady´s insurance got their heads together and split the bill for her hospital stay ( and split the bill for the damage to the bike! ).

Posted

Three months later ( her time in hospital ), the police decided both were equally to blame..the insurance of our client and the old lady´s insurance got their heads together and split the bill for her hospital stay ( and split the bill for the damage to the bike! ).

John, 3 months is not bad. I saw some people on TV whose neighbours apartment burned down causing total damage of their own things as well as themselves health problems from smoke inhalation etc. Their insurance initially denied they were insured there unless they could prove it. Luckily the cabinet with the insurance paperwork in it was not burned so they could find the papers. Then their insurance changed tactics and told them to get their money from the insurance of the neighbour. They waited months and got very little in the end.

And it isn't just Germany. Insurance companies seems to be like that all over. I had a coworker back in Iceland whose husband was a construction worker. A wall fell on him as he was working and he was seriously injured. Spent months in hospital. The insurance of his employer argued that the insurance of the client they were digging up the wall for should pay it and vice versa. Coworker was doing 3 jobs to keep the household going. I think it was about a year later, maybe even longer that they finally saw some cash and that was only after they had taken their story to the media.

Posted

Re-reading the first post and that of B2B makes me come to the following scenario:

The sewer ventilation pipe which runs from the canal in the street through the house and through the roof is/was blocked for some reason. Could be a birds nest , a dead bird, something that had made its way into that pipe. Could be faulty installation. This is usually the case when flushing a toilet sucks water out of u-bends, since the ventilation also serves as air supply necessary to avoid a vaccum when you flush.

Due to this, mehtane gas came into apartment and at some point led to the explosion.

Liable for all damages on your property would be the landlord since he is responsible for the installation system. .And the landlord will be covered by his Hauseigentümer-Haftpflichtversicherung.

Posted

That´s terrible, Leon. Always keep a copy of your insurance certificate somewhere safe. NO excuses for an insurance company to say you have to prove you are insured.

I never used to think legal insurance was important - I´ve changed my mind immensely. If you´re a foreigner, you need it. You don´t know the rules, you don´t know the language, you do it. Keep the legal insurance away from your other insurances to prevent an " inside " job.

Posted

Methane is odourless!

So that wont account for the "funny smell"...