Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

UK motoring insurance no-claims rejected

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all,

Getting to grips with German car insurance and having problems with our no-claims bonus. From 1997 to 2007 I built up the maximum 10 years in the UK. Then in 2007 we moved to Canada, returning last year.

We went to our local insurance broker and provided them with my last insurance certificate and proof of no-claims bonus from 2007 in the UK. (The broker informed us the insurer - HVH - won't accept our Canadian NCB as it's a non EU country). Wasn't too bothered though as I thought I could use my earlier UK no-claims discount.

The problem is they won't accept it. The UK proof of no-claims document indicates I have 10 years of no claims, but as it is from an insurer I was only with for 1 year (Many UK drivers change insurers every year to get the best deal ) It has only indicates a time period of one year. I didn't keep all the previous years individual insurance certificates as I thought the final certificate with a summary of no claims would be enough. Especially as a UK insurance company will have verified the NCB before issuing a certificate.

HVH seem to want individual certificates for every year. Even though the last Proof of No Claims document is a legal document and indicates the total NCB to date. Anyone else had this.

I guess my options are:

- Get a letter from the my last UK insurance company stating that: in order to issue an insurance certificate they have to verifying a driver's NCB.

- Approach every UK car insurance company I was insured with going back 15 years and request a copy of my insurance certificate for that year. (I suspect this will be a colossal pain in the arse)

- Start from scratch. (bit of a pisser with more than 15 years no claims)

Any experience with this, or ideas?

cheers

Tom

Posted

Unfortunately what German insurance companies want is proof of years of no claim, so the only way you can do that is get proof that you were insured from date A to date Y and didn't make a claim, which means getting letters from your previous insurers. However your last insurer may be prepared to write a letter stating that you had a percentage no-claims bonus that means you had made no claims for however long it takes to accrue said bonus. This probably means about 5 years which is not brilliant , but better than nothing.

Posted

The ADAC accepted our NCDs without any hassle. They didn't care how long we'd been with our last insurers and were perfectly happy with a letter stating that noodle76 has a 10 year NCD.

I did try to convince a couple of other insurance companies to accept it beforehand but they were very obstructive.

Just to add - I registered and insured a car last week so my experience is recent. The ADAC don't need translations either for English-language documents.

Posted

We had absolutely no problem 11 years ago when we moved here. Direct Line (Car) and Carol Nash (Motorcycles) wrote a letter to our local Gothaer agent and everything was fine, however my Brit mate who lives just up the road from us has told us virtually the same as the OP. He's had a problem with of all people, Carol Nash

Edit. Sorry the last sentence should read 'now has a problem with Gothaer who won't accept the NCd from Casrol Nash'

Posted

I came here in 2010, and before that I was 4 years in Slovakia, driving on company insurance, so the last time I had any personal UK insurance was pre-2006. Told all this to my insurance over here, 'no probs they said, just get some proof'. So, called my old UK broker, they also said 'no probs', sent me a fax (from the insurance company) asap, all hunky-dorey, 50% discount on DE insurance. QED

Posted

Just cancelled my UK insurance here as I sold mu UK car and we will soon move to Germany.

I asked the UK insurer if the DE one will consider the no claim discount. Of course they could not comment, but they sayd many do. If I buy another car here in UK, I can keep my old no claim discount for up to 2-3yr (depends on the insurer). I was paying £168/yr for third party, that's not bad. I'm keeping fingers crossed.

Posted

thanks for the replies people, have gone down the route of contacting my old insurance companies, and it was actually a lot less hassle than I thought. No-claims letters are on the way.

I'll let you know the outcome once I take the letters to the insurance agent.

Posted

Strange. I changed to a German car in November and spoke to Allianz, who were happy to accept my UK proof of no claims from my last UK insurer. The only issue I had (or have, once they chase it) is that in the UK, they stop counting after 9 years and just state 9+, whereas in Germany the counting continues. The Allianz agent stated I have 18 years NCB on the application, as it's approx 100 euros more if we just go with 10 years. He said if/when they chase up the other years to try and find some old policies (I changed pretty much every year, so this would be pretty tricky!) but so far so good.