Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Running in Rostock: seeking people to train with

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm a runner from the UK moving to Germany next month. I'll be based in Rostock but looking for people to train with.

I've a varied running history; originally a mountain runner, but have done a fair but of road, ultra and trail running. Looking for training partners and people to go on mountain running trips with.

On the road I generally run marathons in around 2:40-2:45, but am happy plodding on the hills or trails.

I've emailed a few groups, but don't speak German so no reply so far.

Cheers

Posted

There are no mountains here. Not even close by. What I can suggest is running on the beach. I do that in the summer. Not only the beach but the rostocker Heide is nice. Plenty of trails and long distance is not a problem. The next marathon is in May I believe. Then in august the night marathon.

If you know where you will be living I can point you to some places close by. Though the city really isn't that big.

Posted

Thanks, I'll be living fairly much in the center of Rostock initially, on Patriotischer Weg. I've a flat sorted for 3 months. I've worked there off and on for a few years but don't know the running. Normally it's just up and down the river front or around the city so I'd like to see a bit more.

Forest trails would be ideal. I'll have a car too.

Are there any running groups that are active?

Cheers

Iain

Posted

Ok so you normally run around the Hafen. With public transportation or car there are several possibilities all within rostock and about 20 minutes from the city center.

I haven't ran too far down this trail so I am not sure how far it goes. You can start in Warnemuende and run along the promanade, there is then a path that turns into a trail. Half dirt half sand. When you get further down there is only cliffs to the side of you. I haven't ran this path in a about 4 years as I don't live on that side of Rostock anymore.

If you really like trails there are many possibilities. A 9-12km path, depending on which trails you take can start in Markgrafenheide and take you to Schnatermann. There is a bike path with gravel and a few paths in between only dirt/sand and tree vines. There is a map but I learned the trails just from trial and error. My fav when I am running regularly is about 10/11kms. That is just one part of the Heide. When it is not raining too much you can take one of the trails from Markgrafenheide all the way to Graal Muritz. I believe one way is about 13kms. I tried it with my bike but the path was underwater at the time so I only made it halfway. I know around Hinrichshagen there are several but I have not been on them personally.

The beach...well plenty of that. Some people start around Hoehe Duene and run the beach or only the sidewalk. In the summer when it is hot I prefer the beach for the breeze even if it is harder. Then again when it is really windy I have to stop. :ph34r:

I am not a dedicated runner like you sound to be, more just a hobby runner. :D There might be something on mapmyrun.

Posted

Thanks.. I'll have a look for some maps when I get there.. the Heide sounds perfect.. didn't know about that. Keen to look for places to visit in the local area.. I'll plan for monthly trips to the more mountainous regions but can't afford much more than that.

Also any local racing calendars would be ideal..

At the moment plan a marathon (Nord-Ostsee Sparkasse Wintermarathon) on the first weekend, then there are some more local races but would like to know more local low key races to fit in.. there must be more than just the marathon etc in Rostock.. in the UK and US we could race almost every day in the summer there is so much on.

Thanks for the tips anyway,

Posted

I will search for the site when I can get on my laptop. There are local races in rostock and surrounding areas. In the US I know of a lot in my hometown here not so much. Runnersworld there is next to nothing but I know of a local site with a race calender I just gotta remember where to find it as I haven't looked at it since early last year.

Mountains will be a drive from here. I believe the Harz are closest. Mostly flat land and beaches here.

You're welcome.

Posted

Leichtathletik Verband Meck Pomm

Here is their calender of races.

http://www.lvmv.de/content.php?nav=Breitensport&action=Laufkalender

http://www.runme.de/DE/Laufkalender-Rostock/rc/ELI/CY/Rostock

http://www.warnemünde-leichtathletik.de/wettkaempfe/Laufkalender%20M-V%202013.htm

Not every site has the same races on them. That is just a few vereins with their lauftermine. I am not sure if you can read German or not. Most is self explanatory.

Posted

Brilliant.. thanks for that.. I speak little german but picking bits up..

Cheers

Posted

You're welcome!

If you need any help just let me know.

Posted

A little late here, but if you're looking for hilly (by local standards!) forest trails and you've got a car then a trip to the Kühlung (between Kröpelin and Kühlungsborn, about 25km west of the city) would by worth your while. Similar, but a little closer (and a little smaller) is Hütter Wohld near Parkentin (between Rostock and Bad Doberan, about 10km west of the city). If you check out http://www.gaia-mv.de then you can produce your own PDF of the official topographic maps to help plan a route. They don't by any means show all the paths, but are better than nothing and cost nowt!