KLM starts new bag fee

48 posts in this topic

Posted

so it begins...

Starting in April KLM will charge €15 online and €30 at the airport to check a frigging bag for European travel.

gouge gouge gouge

Posted

So how much baggage you carrying these days? :P

Posted

I think Lufthansa is doing the same when you book with them & the flight is by their GermanVings subsidiary.

Posted

I have avoided KLM ever since, on two two-way European trips involving two flights each way, there were technical faults with the planes and excessive delays on each leg of each journey (e.g. 8 hour delay at Schipol on one leg, arrival at destination airport at 2 a.m. instead of 8 p.m. on another). Judging from the departure board at the airport, whenever there are problems with the weather, chances are that the KLM flights will be cancelled while other airlines continue as usual.

Posted

I'd rather pay when I need to take bags, than pay (hidden in the ticket cost) every time considering I'd rarely take more than a carry on bag for and inter-European flight.

Posted

Inflation rears its head in the travel industry too.But be glad they are still flying.(BTW KLM is controlled by Lufthansa I guess).Air travel cost is not that bad when you consider everything else. I flew across NA to Amsterdam in 1958 at a price of $1400 return which was 4 month wages. How does that compare to today? No jet in them days.

Posted

BTW KLM is controlled by Lufthansa I guess

Nope - Air France.

Posted

I'd rather pay when I need to take bags, than pay (hidden in the ticket cost) every time considering I'd rarely take more than a carry on bag for and inter-European flight.

I would think that a better model from a marketing standpoint would be to up the prices slightly (prices fluctuate all the time anyway, so hardly anybody would notice that) and then give a discount to people without bags. It amounts to exactly the same, but without any PR damage.

Every airline charges extra for stuff - no airline gives discounts for unused services.

I should be in marketing...

Posted

Inflation rears its head in the travel industry too.But be glad they are still flying.(BTW KLM is controlled by Lufthansa I guess).Air travel cost is not that bad when you consider everything else. I flew across NA to Amsterdam in 1958 at a price of $1400 return which was 4 month wages. How does that compare to today? No jet in them days.

In the last 15 years at least, the price for airline tickets has basically not risen and in many cases it's dropped, so I don't think people should complain too hard.

I would think that a better model from a marketing standpoint would be to up the prices slightly (prices fluctuate all the time anyway, so hardly anybody would notice that) and then give a discount to people without bags. It amounts to exactly the same, but without any PR damage.

I should be in marketing...

Trouble is people would be turned away by the initial high price before finding out they can get money back for things they don't use. It's why cars are listed at their base price, not with all the extras. I don't think you should give up your day job :)

Posted

An better idea would be to bring no bags and still claim one. Their free at Luggage Claim. Thats what my Aussie friend told me..or was he a Kiwi I always get those two mixed up.

Posted

well that's just typical Dutch! Soon they will be charging you for breathing air too.

Posted

More details:

In a nutshell, here’s what to expect from our European flights that you book on or after 22 April 2013:

1 hand bag and 1 accessory (combined up to 12 kg!) you can continue to bring for free in the cabin

You can check in a suitcase at a fee of EUR 15 (one way) if arranged prior to your arrival at the airport. The airport fee will be EUR 30 (one way)

http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/campaigns/baggage/index.htm

Posted

In the last 15 years at least, the price for airline tickets has basically not risen and in many cases it's dropped, so I don't think people should complain too hard.

When I first came to Germany 30 years ago, the cheapest scheduled flight from Munich to London was DM606, which is approximately €300. To get that price you had to book at least 14 days in advance and it also had to be a return flight, a one way would have cost way more. That's probably the equivalent to €600 taking in to account inflation.

Posted

There is an easy workaround for this. If you are a member of the Flying Blue frequent flyer plan, you don't have to pay extra

yes, for now and for KLM. Soon other airlines will follow suit with similar charges and I can imagine that eventually KLM will announce a wonderful new price plan of €5 a month to be a member Flying Blue.

Posted

five things not to wear to the airport tell me he's not gay maybe he should shut his cake hole