Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Express trip to Vienna

63 posts in this topic

Posted

my brother (visiting from NYC) is heading to Vienna for a few days. Any insider recs must see/do etc. Recs for last minute travel tips esp. places to stay would also be appreciated :)

Posted

Go to a Heurigen (wine garden) in the NW of Vienna.

Go to Hotel Sacher for REAL Sachertorte.

A day trip to Bratislava might be interesting though it isn't as pretty as Vienna.

Posted

- Schönbrunn Schloß - Big yellow thing. Impressive and nice gardens

- A night at Palais Auersperg (summer nightclub in one of the palaces close to Museums Quarter)

- Palais Belvedere - Another palace with very nice gardens, just a short walk from the 1st district (there's also an ajoining brewery)

- Heurigen in Grinzing & the 19th District.. There are better ones outside vienna but these are easily accessible on the 38 tram from Schottentor.

- The 1st district in general - Heldenplatz, Parliament House, Rathaus, Stephansplatz etc

- Maybe a trip to the Opera (standing tickets are very cheap)

- Spanish riding school (Dancing horses.. I think rehearsals are free during one day of the week)

- Outside Vienna, the Dachau region is very impressive (if you have a car)

Posted

Have a coffe in the Cafe Central, in Herrengasse.

It was a great place and it is sooooo nice. It is not far off the Hofburg and very close to the underground too. A perfect place to forget about being a tourist for a while and just feel the imperial Vienna feeling!

Posted

- Outside Vienna, the Dachau region is very impressive (if you have a car)

actually, that should be Wachau..

Posted

Thanks everyone...best as I can tell he's still getting over a night out on the town with some other guys...I'll print this out and lay em on his forehead AND save em for my own trip next month...

@GregK his other specific interests: likes to check out bars and girls. Not necessarily in that order... ;)

Posted

bratislava sux don't send him there..it was only worth the trip when TGI Fridays was still there.

Anyway.. unless he is one of those really touristy types, i wouldnt go to sacher hotel to get sacher torte.. i mean i guess its sumfin that everyone hasta do in wien but i lived there for almost 2 yrs before i finally went (only went cuz my parents wanted to)

if the weather is nice donau insel is a cool place to skate and bike and walk during the day.. and then at nite its alotta fun to go to al the outside bars (very expensive.. i guess its kinda a touristy thing to do, but fun nonetheless)

uhmmm i dunno..theres alot to see and do there... depends on what he likes i guess.

o and if he wants to go to some good restaurants theres a mexican place called pancho with really good drinks on the straßenbahn line 21 and if he likes ribs at all he should go to this place called fiorinos...right on the nestroyplatzs ubahn stop.. amazing.. but wear loose pants cuz they give u lotsa food.

ok thats all for now.

Posted

it was only worth the trip when TGI Fridays was still there.

You serious?? In any case there's one in schwarzenburgplatz in vienna..

Bars at the Donauinsel.. Copa Kagrana right?? An interesting experience and laugh in a big group but far too many 16 year old pikies 'gettin durty' for my liking..

I agree that it's a great for cycling, blading, beach volleyball etc but if it's just a weekend he's going for it's probably not worth the effort..

But...If it's girls he's after...

- Palais Auersperg (as already mentioned),

- Palais Eschenbach (seems to be dead in the summer months but used to be fantastic in the winter),

- Moulin Rouge (think it might actually be closed in the summer too)

- Barbaro (just of Kärtnerstrasse) - nice pre-club bar..

- Volksgarten - Not to everyones taste but 2 clubs and a bar in the summer.. the pavillion can be great when there's a good dj night on..

If it all gets a bit desperate

- bermuda triangle..

- Nachtshicht (sp?) huge place in Kagran

- There're are also a couple of huge 4004 type places in the Prater

Posted

going for a long weekend to wien... never been... any suggestions of what to do/ see? up for culture, meandering around, and some nightlife... and as much shopping as the boy will patiently suffer through...

Thread merged by admin

Posted

there was a thread before about what are the must see things. there is so much to see in Vienna. Oh I would love to go there too :)

Posted

Talk to GregK...he lives in Vienna. He could point you in the right direction.

Posted

Before you go, try to watch the film "The Third Man".

http://imdb.com/title/tt0041959/

Then, when you are there, you can go on The Third Man Tour,

http://german.about.com/library/bl3rdMan_tour.htm

I didn't get to go on it myself, but it comes highly recommended from a friend of mine. Of course it is only worth it, if you have seen the film.

Personally, I would also highly recommend going to Cafe Central in der Herrengasse, ordering a Wiener Melange, grabbing a newspaper and sitting there for at least an hour to soak up the atmosphere.

http://www.planet-vienna.com/spots/Central/central.htm

Posted

I once recommended a 24 hour schedule for someone. Might be useful.

9a.m. Leave wherever you are staying and head to the centre (around Stephansdom) and have breakfast in one of the many cafes. There's an inexpensive place on Rotenturmstr which does an excellent Ham & Eggs brekkie.

10.30a.m. Go into Stephansdom and walk up the spiral staircase to the very top. If you are in any way claustrophibic, just take the lift, but the walk is fun. Great views from the top.

11.45a.m. Back outside and head up Graben and into the Höfgarten. Wander around aimlessly for a bit and pop out the other side near the Rathaus.

1p.m. After checking out the Christmas market at the Rathhaus for a while go to Subway just across the road and grab yourself a sandwich. Just a gap filler so only go for a 6" Sub.

1.30p.m. Round the corner to Schöttentor and get onto a tram heading for Grinzing. This goes from the lower level. When you get there, wander around the town and off up into the vineyards. It's beautiful up there.

3p.m. in the village, go to Zum Martin Sepp (www.zummartinsepp.at), have a some wine and something light to eat. There's a nice mixed meat & cheese thing on there.

6p.m. You're back in Vienna and have showered & changed wherever you're staying and ready to move...

6.30p.m. Have a couple of pre-dinner drinks in Flanagans Irish Pub on Schwarzenbergstraße (the owner is a very nice bloke called Alan).

7.45p.m. Dinner in the Goulasch Museum on Schulerstr (www.gulasch.at) or try the most famous Schnitzel in Vienna at Fighmüller’s.

10p.m. Food finished, time to go out. Head over to the Bermuda Triangle and check out the bars there. Start off in Zum KuchlDragoner. The owner Ronnie Gutharc is a top bloke, speaks excellent English and loves meeting people from other countries. If you do, tell him Roger said hi. After a couple of swifties there, you can find dozens of bars in the immediate area which will keep you entertained until the wee hours.

------------

It's geared more for Christmas visits but most of the stuff is still valid.

Good Luck

Posted

vienna was amazing! here are some things i really enjoyed that future travelers might as well...

9:00. waltz [you have to waltz everywhere in vienna ;-)] into the sacher hotel café for a melange and a sacher torte... pick up some great gifts in the men's shop next door - they have beautiful ties, cashmere scarves and classy old-school style kelly-green polka-dotted & striped umbrellas with carved horn handles. walk across the street to the touri information office and buy a vienna card which is good for discounts on a lot of tourist attractions and covers you for all public transport for 72 hours. they're really friendly in there... even got a free pair of wine glasses and box of chocolates :D

9:45. arrive at the spanish riding school to see the morning exercise program

11:30. waltz into the café sperl, imperial or central for a traditional midmorning café, + kaiserschmarren or apfel-strudel

12:30. take a peek inside the lavishly-frescoe'd and much-gilded baroque era st.peter's church and then waltz up the 343 spiraling steps to the top of the south tower of st. stephan's cathedral for a gorgeous view over the city center

1:15. hop onto the tram 1 or 2 tracing the 4km ringstrasse, which goes around the whole city-center, passing by all the impressive old architecture. hop out and do the short audio tour of schoenbrunn palace and see the gardens & coaches.

3:00. next stop: naschmarkt. go into a heuriger to be advised on the lovely local vineyards and do some wine tasting... this time of year they have the delicious sturm wine... or straight to wein&co to purchase... can also pick up some beautiful pastries and cheeses here and coffee from all over the world.

6:00. head over to the beautiful [and slightly creepy in the autumn fog] zentralfriedhof for pictures with famous dead people headstones... beethoven, brahms, mozart, schubert & strauss among others.

7:00. tram it over to praterpark and watch the sunset over the vienna skyline on the giant historic ferris wheel

7:30. go see giuseppe verdi's la traviata or another opera @ the staatsoper... leave early [because you remember that opera is really interesting for about an hour and then gets horrendously boring] and head over to café diglas for a REALLY good, reasonably priced, authentic viennese meal recommended by locals.

... hit club flex @ night if you're an electronica music fan or sick of all things cultural and beautiful

next day [unless it's sunday of course]: visit the kunsthistorisches museum [art history], naturhistorisches museum [natural history] and haus der musik [house of music]

and/or

enjoy the coffee shops and heurigers and shop down and around kärntnerstrasse like mad... munich has a touch of style but vienna is better for shopping @ every price range... much more in the way of interesting and funky trends... higher quality stuff @ better prices... and less snotty salespeople. the viennese are friendly & helpful... you really notice a distinct difference in the politeness factor between there and munich! can't remember the last time i was in munich when someone slightly bumped me in a store and made a point of turning around and apologizing... there it happens every time. even the waiters are gracious... "ich stoere ungern" was my favorite new german quote of the weekend. :D

really enjoyed my first visit to the city... can't wait to go back!

photos up @ www.2monthsoff.com later this week

Posted

Anybody able to recommend a nice, cheap hotel? Plan on going to Vienna with a friend in a few weeks and would like to get some advice on a good place to stay - location and price.

Posted

Ok, so I went to Wien without reading this, but has a great time anyway :)

I can thoroughly recommend Pension Wild, just behind the Rathaus.

It is actually a gay-friendly guesthouse, so if have have a problem with gay people don't go there. But if you don't, it is fab... we paid 45€ total per night for an apartment with 3 beds, kitchen, bath, and it included a really good breakfast.

And if you are gay, there's a 24 hour sauna downstairs, for men only. And a women-only café over the road. Not really something for my sister and I, but I'm sure someone would appreciate it ;)

We also treated ourselves to an evening at the Kursalon, they do a nightly concert of music mainly by Johann Strauss and Mozart. Tickets are in 3 price categories, I think we paid €40 for the middle section.

For €20 extra you can enjoy a fabulous 3 course meal on the terrace outside before the concert, I can recommend it.

Otherwise Café Landtmann is great for lunch or coffee, opposite the Rathaus.

And for evening dinner the "Griecher Beisel" (sp?) is fab, an ancient old restaurant within the original city wall, in a back street between Schwedenplatz and Fleichsmarkt (Griechergasse, I think). Very friendly service and super food and house wine.

Posted

spend as long as it takes in a coffee house wondering what the fcuk you're meant to do with the glass of water.

i feel so uncultured, i still dont know.